What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Young Guns v Others

I'm Hornby

Juniors
I watch blokes like Woods and Macca make half hearted attempts to cover the inside, and from the outside looking in it looks like they’re bludging.
I watched Amone do this tonight. So much for GiVe THe KIds A ruN.

Boomer.

saintmar

Juniors
OK I see it like this put Woods , Macca , Bird , Lomax , McGuire etc one at a time in NSW Cup will they shine ? Don't think so , the game is different in a lot of ways , so Hook is in a big hole he should have given Sloan , Sully , at least time in top grade to work out what is needed to go forward ..... Because it ain't happening in lower grade .....
100% correct
The young ones need CONSISTENT time in the top grade to build and gain confidence.
What Hook did earlier in the year in dropping Sloan was a mark of a coach who is only concerned about his position and not building a team by being patient to develop the young ones.

dannyt

Coach
100% correct
The young ones need CONSISTENT time in the top grade to build and gain confidence.
What Hook did earlier in the year in dropping Sloan was a mark of a coach who is only concerned about his position and not building a team by being patient to develop the young ones.
Maybe we should develop these Young Ones:
1659798423754.png
At least their main aim is to be funny.

SAP58

Juniors
100% correct
I heard Brad Arthur talking about Dylan Brown yesterday & he said the younger players take time to develop in FG and you have to be patient & leave them in there to gain experience. Brown is a much better player than a couple of years ago & due to their patience Parra are gaining the benefits now. Amone is a better player than at the beginning of the year IMO but will still make mistakes we just need to be patient. The same will apply to Bud & Sloan if we give them a go & be patient, again IMO.

This is the way I remember things being done -
Younger players who showed promise were brought into the first grade squad to reward outstanding effort in the lower grades and would be called upon if a regular first grader was injured/suspended/out of form enough to warrant a spell in reggies.
They were NOT expected to carry or inspire the first grade team (like Amone, Sailor) and they were NOT in and out of first grade on a seemingly random basis which seemed to actually hamper their development (Host, Leilua, Ford).
JdB was introduced to Firsts as a junior member of a pretty effective forward pack - he wasn't expected to lead it. The young guys lately come in and are expected to shoulder a pretty big burden cos there's no natural leaders or readers of the game in the first squad - hence the creativity free zone that Dragons footy has become.

Illusion

Bench
100% correct
Yep I have said this in numerous threads and it was said by Gould whether you like him or not , the same that if the young guy's mope around in lower grades they will work out nothing ..... They need to be working out their game in top grade ..... Like Sloan last night thrown Into the game for 20 min in a pressure game and makes an error and everyone wants to shaft him while the seasoned players are making mistakes every game ..... Hook threw him in last night only because he had nothing ..... These young blokes should have been around first grade all year , throw in Sully as well .....

BLM01

First Grade
But watch them go to the Melbourne Storm and become world beaters.

These blokes aren't brought into first grade for no reason, the people who select them aren't THAT stupid. They are identified to have the talent as they've been seen to do some incredible things. But after that and you meet captain fossil and his team of fossils your development starts to go backwards or it stagnates.
Were not our current and previous coach the ones to bring them into 1st grade

BLM01

First Grade
Good point Mojo. I hope our thoughts that we have too many players not NRL standard but no money to replace them is really that there is no one available in the market to spend it on. Common sense would say due to high paid players leaving and reduced contract say for Hunt we have a war chest coming up. I just hope this is the case and not that we are paying very high contracts to players past it or not performing ( eg Debellin playing well but not 800k worth, Bird past it on 650k a year ? ) Above all of this is the coaching of course. Get a good team together and it can make a huge difference.
We have been having this problem since the Price era

SBD82

Coach
Good idea. Maybe I should change it to something really creative like my initials and year of birth.
Yeah. You got me mate. Can’t get much past you.

I mean, you’re incorrect. But that’s never stopped you before, has it?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Buchanan, no 13 with 3 tries in 18’s final on Saturday. One of Steelers/dragons most promising juniors. Only 16 this year, played Matt’s this year. Then played 18’s for rest of the year:

possm

Coach
It has been a very long time since we had a young gun that burst onto the scene, stayed on the scene and became a proven match winner.

Other clubs have had that happen and therefore I would say that our juniors are not as ell performed as others.

No doubt we have had a couple with real potential that we definitely mismanaged (Robson & Garrick) but for the most part what we considered to be top class juniors that we shouldn't have let go have had pretty average careers despite having had good if not excellent coaches at their new clubs.
NRL experience is only one consideration and I would day the fitness of a player or the team is one of the most important elements.

Yes, we have talented youngsters but to me it seems that not much individual coaching is being done to improve their defensive skills. In addition the team as a whole do not appear to me to be fit enough.