What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outlook for the future

_goParra

Juniors
After the debacle of the last few weeks, I feel there is an immediate need for new outlook.
Here is what I think should happen.

Replace the coach before June 30.
Lets just write off this season. Get a new coach if we do it now he will have a chance of recruiting good players this year.
If we wait untill the end of this year to sign a new coach, the new coach will not have an opportunity to recruit players of his choice.
So next year will also be a write off. Therefore it is a must that we sign a new coach before june 30.

Get rid of players who are not performing
Vella - The number of good games he had since 2001 wont even make double digits.
Dykes - Dally M 5/8 in 2001. He has had way too many chances since then.
Wagon - Defence is good but what about Attack.
Langi - Deadmeat
Peterson - Plays with passion... but what about skill.
Stapleton - Has been solid, but at 30 his best days are behing him.
Pearson - Havent seen much of him.
Fui Fui - Not fit enough, playing 15mins every week is not good enough.
Vaealiki - Has not performed consistently since 2001.

I used to be a BS and dykes supporter untill the storm game.
But the last two games were really devestating.
Where is the passion, pride in the jersey.
I bet if 17 people from this forum were picked to play, they would play with more passion and pride than
that was on display at the last two games.

When I watch the 2001 season highlights..... I am deeply pained to see the talent we have let go.
We need some change NOW if we are to have any hope of coming out of this mess.

The Colonel

Immortal
One problem - Stapo is only 25. He'll be 26 in August. One of the few shining lights - he is a hard worker and with the right players around him he can take pressure off Hindy and Cayless as our forward leaders.

Pazza

First Grade
I argee with everything you have said apart from Stapleton. I think signing John Cartwright and Matt Orford would be a huge step in the right direction. Both guys are looking at being at another club next season and Parramatta would be a great club for both of them to start fresh! The eels have plenty of class players and good quality juniours coming through. I think that Cartwright has done a damn good job at the roosters along with Ricky Stuart and Cartwright is more than qualified to become a fulltime NRL coach. While Orford is that real class player that Parramatta have been missing to become a top 4 team. Both these guys are interested in moving on from their current clubs and Parramatta has the money to get them so they would have to be crazy not to!

Parraren

Bench
Yeah I think you mixed up Stapleton with Pearson who is actually 30+. Pearson will probably hang up the boots at the end of the year anyway but Craig has been good for us and is definitely worth keeping.

fish eel

Immortal
I still think we have a pretty bright future.

We've got the two Nathans.

Justin Tsoulos tied up for a couple of years.

Chris Armit is still pretty young and has plenty of quality footy ahead of him, and I believe is tied up as well.

Craig Stapleton, has been pretty useful as the Colonel said.

And young guys like Josh Cordoba, who I reckon will make an impact next year if not later this. That's the nucleas of a very, very good pack.

Throw in Johnny Morris, who is a quality act who will come good.

In the halves....Thorman has done OK. Mick Witt is tied up with Tim Smith coming through.

The backs.....Ash Graham will come good, plenty of quality coming through as well in the likes of Anderson, Mateo, Smith, Lantry etc.

We'll be back :D

Parraren

Bench
Yeah I think you mixed up Stapleton with Pearson who is actually 30+. Pearson will probably hang up the boots at the end of the year anyway but Craig has been good for us and is definitely worth keeping.

Eelectrica

Referee
I'll try to post this again
If we can convince a club to buy out the remainder of Dykes' contract we should be able to use that to sign up Orford.
Orford would be a huge asset for Tim Smith and Witt. By the time Orfords contract is up Tim Smith will be ready to be our Halfback for a good long time.
I wouldn't be so fast in getting rid of Vella. If we land Cartwright as our coach for next year I sure he will return Vella back to his best form.
If Smith is still our coach next year I think we could sign up the best combined Australia/New Zealand side and still be a good bet for the spoon :roll:

Misty Bee

First Grade
With Thorman, Witt and Tim Smith at the club, we don't need Orford. We DO need 3/4s though.

We could sign Joey Johns and still have halfback probs under Smith.

fish eel

Immortal
Agree about the need for 3/4s and not halves.

The ones we have coming through are potentially terrific players, but it is only potential.

I'd love to see Ryan Cross out here. A Cross/Vaealiki centre combo would go alright

yy_cheng

Coach
In the last couple of games Vella has played better than Heckenberg did last year. So I would keep him but only offer him 150K-200K a season.

I agree with Misty, to an extent.

I think that 5 games (up until June 30) is more than enough time for Thorman to show if he has promise or not. I actually thought he was doing quite well until Dykes decided he wanted to get his hands on the ball and run sideways. Drop Dykes and give Thorman and Witt the next month to show their stuff. If Thorman looks to have potential, sign him up, if not go for Matthew Head or Orford.

3/4 are somewhat of a problem, but we do have some good juniors who just need a chance to shine. I expect Ben Smith or Mateo to get a run in the centres this weekend, and it will be a good chance to see how they hold up. We also have Lantry and Grushka (man I gotta learn how to spell this guy's name, lol), and Joel Reddy could make a handy winger.

fish eel

Immortal
From what I've see of Thorman, especially over the last two weeks, he will be more than useful, and think he can only better.

He looks like a solid defender, has a very good kicking game....against both the Dragons and Storm, until things went pear shaped he seemed to get good distance on his kicks AND find open space. I would like to see what he has got in terms of a short kicking game inside the opposition 20, got a bit sick of Dykes' bombs on the weekend.

Also, I'm not sure any other half back, particuarly one with only 20 previous minutes of NRL behind him could do ant better than Thorman on friday.

Parraren

Bench
I would love to see a Smith/Mateo duo given a shot in the centres but I ain't holding much hope going by Smithy's rather uninspiring team selections so far this year. If these kids can prove themselves maybe our situation in the 3/4's won't be looking so bleak after all...

Hurriflatch

Referee
In the last two games Thorman has been going great until Dykes got on the field

piss Dykes of and Thorman will lead the side around the park with support from Witt and Morris

until Dykes goes we're stuffed

The Godfather

Juniors
Ye gods !!!!!

Is it just me, or does anyone else get the impression that Dykes looks like he has never played with the team before?

He individual form has been good, but if you look at his combination play with the rest of the team, it appears to be non-existant.
Nobody seems to know what he will be doing, nobody seems to be supporting him when he tries to create a break, his kicks have no chasers, and as his late indivicual try against Melbourne showed, he'll try to do it all by himself.
Shades of Kusto.

half

Coach
i think it would be awful for rugby league if orford left melbourne

i'd refer to fish eel's post as to why we should remain quiet in the market. i think the constant high turnover of players hurts our club and its image signficantly

Latest posts