What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Over the Top Ideas to Improve the Competition

With the season barely over, I am already bored, at least until the Four Nations begin. Why don’t have a thread for describing our visions of a perfect NRL, or even a perfect Rugby League world.

Here’s my fantastic, totally over the top vision of the game. I know that most of my ideas are implausible at best; impossible in any realistic sense and some are total lunacy. But at least I’m not writing my suggestion to merge the AFL and the NRL.

Some ideas are my own, some are “borrowed” from various news sources and I think I may have seen a few on this board.

Competition
· The current NRL sides, the Queensland Cup and NSW Cup sides and expansion teams in Perth, New Zealand, and any place where a club is willing to make a nice and hefty donation to the NRL all join the competition.
· Teams are ranked into three or four divisions of 12 teams each. If necessary, the lowest division has more teams. Each team plays the others in its division at home and away.
· The Gultinan Shield is awarded to the Champion Team of Australia—the minor premier in the First Division.
· All teams also participate in the Sponsor’s Name Rugby League Cup. Professional teams enter in First Round, amateur teams enter in Preliminary Rounds. Lower division clubs automatically host First Division teams if drawn against each other.
· The bottom two teams in each division (except the lowest) are relegated for the next season. Teams playoff if they finish equal 11th on points. (No for and against)
· The top five in the First Division advance to the finals series for the Premiership
· The top four in the lower divisions play for promotion. The winner of the 1st v 2nd match goes straight up, the loser plays the 3rd v 4th winner for the second promotion spot.
· Each team has a “Player Rating” cap. Players are assigned a rating based on experience, Origin and international selection, and All Star game selection. Players’ ratings are discounted if they do not change clubs or return to their original club in such a way that a team effectively has no cap if it fields a team made up entirely of players from its junior system.
· Junior players not offered a spot in their parent club’s first grade or reserve side enter a draft. Draft order decided by three-year average. Relegated teams picking before promoted teams who pick before teams that do not change divisions.

Officiating
· The “Three Official” system. The touch judges are required to be fully qualified referees and all three officials have the responsibility to enforce all the laws. The referee has the final say if there is a disagreement.
· All decisions have to be made on the field. The video ref only comes into play to report players to the match review panel or if one of the captains makes a challenge. A captain can’t challenge anymore if he is wrong twice.
· Mandatory sin bin for professional fouls or dangerous play.
· In a move borrowed from some leagues in the States, the head of officiating sits in a “war room” overseeing all matches, grading officials and reporting players. If an official isn’t up to snuff, he’s going to be filling coffee cups in the war room in the next round to learn how to do his job better.

Rules Changes
· 13 players on the field at the start of the game with seven substitutes on the bench. At least three subs have to have played in the reserve grade game. Players can return to the game once after they are subbed out. Substitutions made because of injury do not count against that total.
· A new set of six is awarded only after a penalty or the opposition actually playing the ball at least once themselves. Tackle count does not reset otherwise.
· Scrums are contested with the ball being placed on the ground by the referee and the packs packing down over it. No one can strike at the ball until the referee signals for the scrum to begin: by yelling ‘Scrum!”
· Raking allowed in the play the ball, as is playing it any direction. Again, the tackle count does not reset if the marker rakes the ball or even if he wins it but then loses the ball.
· Five metre rule for both teams.
· Ball must be clearly knocked forward for a knock, clearly thrown forward and clearly touched down for a try.
· Tries are worth Five Points. Goals (Conversion, Penalty, Drop) all worth Two Points.
· Matches that are level at 80 minutes are drawn. Finals, Cup and Origin matches level at 80 minutes have ten minutes of extra time then golden point, if necessary.

The International Game
· Players can be eligible for Origin AND their national team.
· Five Nations tournament between Big Three teams and winners of prior year’s European and Pacific Cups in Even Numbered Years
· World Cup or Ashes Tours in Odd Numbered Years.
· Annual World Nines Tournament.

maccattack

Juniors
I really dont see why if a kid plays junior footy in NSW or QLD but is of say NZ heritage, that he cant elect to represent NZ and NSW or QLD.

Whats the big deal?

I also think as a kid comes into grade he must elect there and then which country he will represent for the rest of his career. no changees.

siv

First Grade
20 team - 24 round comp

8 team semis - with 1 and 2 getting the bye in week 1

CC Bears, Ipswich, Perth, Wellington NZ added

All teams to play FG, RG, U22's on match day

Sharks to adopt Adelaide and play 6 games there
Easts to adopt Rockhamption and play 6 games there
All other teams to adopt a region and play 1 trial and 1 premiership match in that region

Bench for FG must have played 40 min in Reserve Grade or U22's

NO Golden Point in premiership rounds
10 min each way in semi's - then golden point

NSW Cup to be a 14 team comp with NSW Country divisions added (no NRL clubs) (merge with Bundy Cup)
QLD Cup to be a 14 team comp and include NT team (no NRL Clubs)

winner of NSW Cup v winner QLD Cup on Grand Final Day

NZ Cup to be a 12 team comp with Auckland City teams and regional NZ clubs

All Australian NRL, NSW Cup, Qld Cup teams to play in a 9 round junior comp U20, U18 and U16's

3 round pre-season comp with mid week semi and sunday final

World Club Championship - played on 3rd weeknd of October

SOO I, II, III and NSW & QLD City Country matches played on a weekend
At the same time 4 Nation Euro Cup / 4 Nation Pacific Cup

The End of Seasons 1 and 2
End of Season 6 Nations (Australia, Eng, NZ, next best Euro, Pacific and winner of 3rd v3rd playoff)
End of Seasn 6 Nation Tier 2 Euro Cup and Pacific Cup

End of Season 3
World Cup Qualifiers

End of Season 4
RLWC

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
I really dont see why if a kid plays junior footy in NSW or QLD but is of say NZ heritage, that he cant elect to represent NZ and NSW or QLD.

Whats the big deal?

I .

Agreed but Origin has always been so successful so they wont be tinkering with it any time soon.

The best players from the NRL should be on the field every year. If that is eventually Foran, Marshall, Ellis then so be it.

typicalfan

Coach
*players to draw names from straws to find out which country they play for and which team they are moving to next.

the rebel

Juniors
I wouldn't mind the game going back to the 5 metre rule on the proviso once a player is held the tackler has to get off straight away. Other rules I would like trialed include

1) a quick tap option when a kick goes into touch (allows the full back to get on with the game)
2) if a kick goes over the dead ball line, the team in possession gets the ball where the ball was kicked from (discourages aimless kicking)
3) No conversions for trys scored via bombs ( thus maximum of 4 points)
4) unlimited number of tacklers can be involved when attempting a strip

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Agreed but Origin has always been so successful so they wont be tinkering with it any time soon.

The best players from the NRL should be on the field every year. If that is eventually Foran, Marshall, Ellis then so be it.

NZ to field a state of origin team to compete with the others

CC_Roosters

First Grade
My ideas centre around the off field league strucutre. For me the product is fine and theres just the right amount of controversy to generate regular headlines.

-2 teams (WA Reds and Central Coast Bears) enter comp 2015 with it being played as a straight 18 team ladder comp like now.
-Then the big change takes place, in 2018 & 19 another QLd side & NZ2 enter the comp, for arguments sake lets say Wellington Orcas and Brisbane Bombers. 20 team comp.
-On entry of 20th team the league is split into 4 divisions with 5 teams in each.
I envision:
-Parra, Bulldogs, Penrith, Bombers, Reds
-Manly, Newcastle, Bears, Brisbane, Titans
-Cowboys, Wellington, Dragons, Tigers, Sharks
-Souths, Roosters, Raiders, Warriors, Melbourne

I have put 3 NSW/ACT sides in each division and 2 intersate/NZ sides to make up the balance. This way has kept big rivalries intact and played H&A and an even number of interstate games. I thought about lumping the 2 NZ sides in the same division but that wouldnt be fair on the NSW clubs in the divsion travelling over the detch twice a season. But they would play each other H&A as part of the rivalry round (explained below)

STRUCTURE
-Teams play every team in their division H&A (=8 games)
-Play every other team once (=15 games) split 8/7 at home (8th Home game made up by rivalry game alternating each year) So every club has 12 home games.
-The 24th game is part of a designated rivalry round where big inter divisional rivalries are played. So Souths could take on St. George for example H&A each year despite being in different divisions and it would be rotate. These rivalries can be reviewed every 3-4 years at club request if they want a fresh match.
-Name divisions after RL heroes.administrators of old, eg Messenger Division etc.... ala the NHL which used to have the Norris, Adams, Smythe etc divisions before realignment.

PLAYOFF RACE
-Division winners are top 4 seeds and only games against divisional rivals are taken into account to determine divisional champions. Thus making each very important.
-Clubs are ranked in cumulative table to decide a minor premier (number 1 seed), taking ALL game results into account
-In cumulative ladder, 5th to 8th clubs get into playoffs, regardless of divisional position. So in theory more than 2 clubs from a division can qualify pending results. (ala NHL)
-Old ARL/current AFL playoff system is then used to determine champion.

In the longer term 4 more clubs can be added, 1 in each division say Adelaide, CQ, SEQIII, Christchurch. At that point the draw would need tinkered slightly to eliminate some teams playing each other to alternative years. (over 24 games is too many IMO).

dragons__

Juniors
bold prediction #5123 (as with the current theme): the naked cheerleading league (NCL) to replace the NRL within 5years as the number 1 sport in the country

/thread

siv

First Grade
bold prediction #5123 (as with the current theme): the naked cheerleading league (NCL) to replace the NRL within 5years as the number 1 sport in the country

/thread

Sounds like you don't watch enough LFL

PaddyBoy

Juniors
Profit sharing. The NFL has a set percentage of profits (40 I think) which is shared among the lesser teams. Along with the salary cap and draft means teams are always as level as possible.

Makes the league the overall "product" rather than the teams themselves.

It's set enough to ensure that teams are still encouraged to succeed on and off the pitch, but teams don't get left behind.

Latest posts