What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overcome 'Gym Intimidation'

Valderon

Juniors
Hi,

Are you afraid of joining the Gym?. Or, Have you signed up and bought all of your clothing, water bottle and towel, yet you’re too fearful of starting your health quest, and going to the Gym? Read on… as you will soon overcome this self-induced and unwarranted fear!

It is a regular choice being made to begin exercising in a Gym setting, in order to reach desirable physical (and mental) results. So, why is it that many people wanting a better lifestyle fail to introduce themselves into a Gym setting, or join for 1 week only to never return?

Gym Intimidation is one of the largest reasons behind this problem, and is a very common barrier between a person, and their quest to a healthy mind and healthy body. Infact, this was one of the main barriers and reasons I had, ensuring I personally failed to maintain a regular exercise routine through my previous attempts.

Though, speaking now from a more educated and experienced perspective; this barrier of Gym Intimidation is easily defeated, and greatly misunderstood by the beginner(s) of the Gym/Exercise world. It is a psychological battle with yourself that you must overcome to be a happy participant in the Gym, and to be-able to focus on yourself and your own goals.

So, what exactly -is- Gym Intimidation?

Often, many people who join the Gym and seek a personal trainer for motivation and guidance, will say to their trainer: “How can I get fit, and get in better shape before I start training in the Gym?”. People often feel intimidated by others who are better built or toned, while others feel intimidated by the exuberant amount of various exercise machines and routines that can be initially overwhelming. It is even a regular thought by many, that “It must be obvious I’m new, everyone must be staring at me, I must be doing something wrong, or look very out of place”.

All of these are common, and almost natural concerns when you are first beginning at the Gym. Although, you must remember that in anything you are being introduced to, will always hold uncertainties. While it is a natural reaction to fear uncertainty; with friends, personal trainers, and the Gym staff at hand you will have knowledgeable and friendly people to guide you correctly.

Probably the most confusing misperception of the Gym setting in my mind, is a person claiming that “they are not in shape enough” or “not big enough” or “too overweight” for the Gym. Think about this for just one moment. Your local Gyms have been created, designed and purpose built to assist regular members of the community in developing a healthy body, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Therefore, if you are out of shape, too thin, very weak, or overweight then you are the people the gym was designed for.

While there are often many very well built, well toned, and athletic people in the Gym; these conditioned persons are maintaining what they have achieved, or possibly altering their body composition for a competitive purpose (sport, body building, modeling). However, the people who fit in the most are the unfit people!.

In addition, many inductee’s into the Gym setting, may feel that they are being watched by everyone else. They may feel that they stand out. They may feel as if the regular participants in the Gym are questioning their motives. However, the _-reality-_ is that most regular exercisers at the Gym have a lot of respect for newcomers.

We are all at the Gym for the same end result - A healthier body, a healthier mind, and goals that we wish to achieve. It is a massive achievement for you to be at the Gym, and I can assure you that everyone at the Gym respects new beginners giving it a try. Most new people (myself included when I first began) will feel a sense of hesitance, fright or confusion and will feel the center of scrutiny in others minds, but this is so far from the truth; as all health freaks admire and encourage each other to reach results.

It is a courageous first step in your focus towards your new life, and almost every person in the Gym will help you with any queries you have. If you want advice, or any help at all, the people who frequent the Gym will almost always offer you help; and short of that you are welcome to always question personal trainers, and administrative staff.

However, if you -still- feel apprehensive at this point. Here are a few tips to assist you in building your confidence at the Gym....:-

Step 1: - Set up an Orientation - (Ask Questions)

Many Fitness Centres will offer new members the opportunity to have an orientation of the building. This will provide you with full knowledge of where everything in the Gym is located, which area’s are built for which purpose, and more importantly, _some_ Gyms will also use this time to show you how to use the machines you’re most interested in, as a method of easing you into your new Gym experience.

Use this time to ask the trainer or membership technician any questions that you have, including any insecurities or foreseeable problems you might encounter - The more you ask, and more knowledge you gain… the better and more confident you will feel in making this next step.

Step 2: - Hire a Personal Trainer , or , Find a Work-out Buddy

In this instance, you are welcome to hire a personal trainer, AND use a work-out buddy. The benefits of these two options will be massive, however, it also rather depends on your personality type, and how you cope with new experiences.

Some people are rather private, and enjoy testing new waters in their own time, on their own terms; where you will likely wish to develop your knowledge and skill in the Gym alone. However, this is very rare. It is very difficult to develop intrinsic (self) motivation, and uphold it on your own to develop achievable results.

This is why both friends to work-out with you, or personal trainers, will provide you with extrinsic (external) motivation, support, encouragement, and assistance in learning new exercises, understanding the machinery, and submersing yourself into the world of the Gym and Fitness industry. Friends are great for moral support, they’re won’t cost you a cent, and it will infact increase your bonding capacity, and socially active life.

Personal Trainers are certainly recommended as well, to reach your desired results. Even if you only purchase 1 (one) session per week at approximately $50 AUD weekly; this will provide you with a framework that you will be-able to adhere to on your own, when you visit the gym between sessions. Personal Trainers are -usually- knowledgeable on exercise subjects, and usually will provide you with adequate nutrition and exercise tips. They will also be-able to perform measurements to assist you in tracking results, while giving you great motivation and desire to succeed.

However, a short warning. While all personal trainers should be required to be certified before practicing exercise prescription; this is not always the case. In most cases, all Personal Trainers will be qualified, however it is highly recommended to research your personal trainers qualifications, and seek testimonials from other members this person has trained, before hiring them… as $50 for 30 minutes is a premium rate, that should only be paid to those whom are worth the money. As some people are not well qualified, there is always that possibility that they’ll reduce your results, or possibly generate harm.

Step 3: - Choose quiet periods to begin with

This is a great way to prepare yourself for the Gym, without feeling heightened intimidation levels. If you are able to choose the quieter periods (between 9am - 12pm, and 1pm - 5pm, as a _rough indication_); then you will be-able to move freely between machines and weights, use most-to-all equipment available, and also be open to experimentation without the fear of prying eyes, or possible mistake or embarrassment. Most of all, you’ll have free use of most equipment, which during peak busy periods would not be the case, ensuring that you would need to be prepared for regular Gym etiquette.

Gym Intimidation is predominantly a mental battle with yourself; and is one that you can defeat with some ease. Be sure to recruit some of the confidence-building methods I’ve suggested here; however the most important message for you to acknowledge, is that _-you are-_ able to work-out in a Gym setting; _-you are-_ accepted, respected and encouraged to be in the Gym setting; and _-you can-_ do it!

I wish you all the best of luck in your future exercise endeavors. Your health is so very important to your sustainability in elderly years, and I have every faith that you will succeed, and be the person you aspire to be!

I hate the communal showers, I like to have my own shower cubical. Some blokes in the change rooms seem to be more obsessed with walking around naked than showering and getting changed, and that puts me off for some reason.

TheParraboy

Staff member
What I find irritating more than intimidating in my gym, I guess its at every gym is the alpha males or blokes hogging the equipment cause they think they are king sh*t and can just take their time whilst socializing with like minded baffoons

I dont talk to these wankers, Avoid them like the plague. I do my own routine and most occassions just laugh inside myself at what I see. For example I see blokes taking well over 30min to do 3 sets of one exercise. Or blokes lifting weight very incorrectly all in the name of lifting a lot of weight to obviously show off (no, they aint powerlifters). This is the one that takes the cake, The bloke who HAS to slam or throw his weights down after EVERY set, then after every set paces around, pervs at himself in the mirror, then looks around the gym to make sure people are looking at him. Total git

There is one such poser, he is quite well built up top. However I have never, I mean never seen him wear a pair of shorts. Always in tracksuit bottoms, even in hot weather. He is one of the most aggressive and inconsiderate members in the gym. Im really tempted to call him "shorts" when I want to use equipment he has been hogging for the last 40 min.

Angry_eel

First Grade
haha gym stories

There is a neanderthal at my gym who grunt/man screams after every set. Like honestly I'd be doing cardio like on the other side of the gym and then I hear "ahhhhhhhhhhhhh". Everyone on the cardio side looks that way and then turns again.

There was another guy. Man he was a classic. Haven't seen him in a while. It didn't matter whether he was doing cardio or weights. he had his ipod on and he was listening to gangsta rap. You know how I know that? Cause he f**kin yells it out "Gangsta shiitt uhuh ye bitch..commmon".

There are some other characters at my gym too. lebanese/Arab guy who come in looking like drug dealers all blinged up. Cool cat white kids who turn up wearing clubbing shoes.

simmo1

First Grade
My favourite gym person is the bloke who comes in with jeans and a polo, throws some dumbells around for about 10min before heading off to the pub and showing off to the ladies his oh so massive arms.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Then there is the bloke who is just sitting on the machine , or bench, not really using it while he talks on his mobile for 15 minutes and no one else can use that bench, or machine.

End rant.

Thomas

First Grade
There's a chick who sings along, badly, with her iPod every day. It's like being stuck in a sweaty karaokoe booth.

The other week she was working on a machine and let rip a huge fart as she lifted. She didn't bat an eyelid and must of thought it wasn't loud. I thought someone had let off a firecracker. This girl working out next to me heard it and we got the giggles for a good 5 minutes.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I've been busted singing along too, you sometimes forget that everyone else can year you

aqua_duck

Coach
I saw a big Samoan dude one time, built like a brick you know what, tattoos eveywhere and arms the size of my head. Was doing bicep curls with a 60kg bar, did a few reps and then couldn't get another rep out, puts the bar down walks up to the mirror, starts slapping his tree trunk arms, walks up to the power rack, head butts the power rack a few times, walks back to the mirror and says something along the lines of "c'mon you f-ing pussy, lets do this", walks back to the bar picks it up and cranks up another few reps and lets out a massive roar.

Ridders

Coach
I saw a big Samoan dude one time, built like a brick you know what, tattoos eveywhere and arms the size of my head. Was doing bicep curls with a 60kg bar, did a few reps and then couldn't get another rep out, puts the bar down walks up to the mirror, starts slapping his tree trunk arms, walks up to the power rack, head butts the power rack a few times, walks back to the mirror and says something along the lines of "c'mon you f-ing pussy, lets do this", walks back to the bar picks it up and cranks up another few reps and lets out a massive roar.

That so reminded me of the paraplegic dude from Family Guy.

Johns Magic

Referee
Luckily I go to our footy club gym where the vast majority of the others there are other footy players from my club so there's no posers or geniuss.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Then there is the bloke who is just sitting on the machine , or bench, not really using it while he talks on his mobile for 15 minutes and no one else can use that bench, or machine.

End rant.

Reminds of this poser who came along and sat next to the machine I was using. I had seen him around heaps, typical selfish gym git

He sat in a way not to use the machine by sitting front on, he turned to sit facing me :roll:

He was obvioulsy waiting for me to finish my routine, but at the same time hogged another machine, no intention of using it

He could have politely asked me how long do I have to go, but didnt. Looked like he was trying to intimidate me, or scare me off the machine quickly. I paid no attention to him, like he wasnt there.

Well well well, what have we here I thought to myself. An opportunity for some lovely payback. When he sat down I had just completed one set (sitting chest press machine). I took my time getting to the 2nd set, likewise the 3rd set. After the 3rd set I just kept sitting on the machine. Good as gold I got an anticipated reaction from him "You done here?"

Quick as a flash, I said "Got one more set mate" :)

The bonus point here is, that the weight was maxed out already on 110kg (max for that machine) BUT you can add 5kg plates on it. So I leave my towel and bottle of water where they are, slowly wonder over the to free weights, Have a quiet chat to another bloke :D, head back blonk 2 x 5kg weights, and continue to sit for another couple of minutes before finishing the 4th set :D

As I took off the 2 x 5kg plates, I said to him "all yours buddy". He wasnt happy :D

JoeD

First Grade
I haven't been to the gym since my first was born (6 years ago). At first i didn't have the time and now i'd rather exercise in different ways - and save money by not having to pay fees.

GuardDog

Juniors
hmmm sounds like a lack of gym ettiquette from the sound of some of these posts
if i notice some1 hogging equipment i will ask if i can work in with them and have yet to come across some1 that refuses,.anyway guys if u r a paying gym member you are obliged to share the equipment to other paying customers and vice versa
as for the posers and "intimidators" they are in every gym and provide entertainment

sportive cupid

Referee
I just saw the saddest thing this evening.
While running along Wanda beach-the sun beating down(still with a little bite to it but not too much),kids laughing in the waves,The cool water lapping at my feet.

Looked up to see,in the old surf club digs... some poor bastards on the treadmill!Seemed just a bit odd to me .