What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overtraining

jasonl

Juniors
It is only 3 games in and already half the starting team is injured, many with serious and potentially chronic issues.

Realistically, WT season is over before it has even begun.

In the case of Lawrence, despite the positive news this morning, one has to be resigned to the fact that he might never play again (and if so, certainlty not at the elite level).

Ellis, Gibbs, Ryan, Fulton, Tiquiri, Lui and now Farrah are all in the ward - many with the 'indefinite' stamp.

As much as I admire Steve Folkes for his no compromise methods I feel that this team has been chronically overtrained.

Overtraining is a weird phenomenon but it certainly exists and is very real.

Its primary manifestation is suspectibility to injury. The body is acting in self defence and simply shuts you down.

Have attached a link and if you have time read it.

No doubt Bubbles et al will have a clearer idea of what exactly is going on at the club, but viewing it as an outsider, this 2011 team, with all the weight of being expectant premiers, have well overdone their prep and are paying for it now in the worst possible way.

Damn shame.

Jase

http://physiotherapy.curtin.edu.au/resources/educational-resources/exphys/00/overtraining.cfm

jasonl

Juniors
Chris Lawrence never play again? What?

It's possible.

A hip dislocation is an horrific injury. Unlike a shoulder, which you can simply pop back in, in the case of a hip you're talking serious blood supply and nerve ending issues.

Look it up.

A friend of mine had the same thing happen as a result of a high speed motorcycle crash. He was about 22 also and super fit. These days he gets around like House.

I wish Chris all the very best - he's an absolute credit to the team and the game.

It's going to be a hard road nonetheless.

Eddie.

Bench
I think it's easy to bag the trainer or the fitness staff in an injury crisis. Lawrence, Tuqiri, Fulton and co were injured on the field in freakish sort of incidents. I don't see the the link with overtraining there. Every team has their turn of having a raft of injuries.

Although I do conceed Jason that I have not seen an injury ward like this before 3 rounds in. We would not be doing due dilligence if we as a club were not looking into perhaps some reasons why. It's mighty frustrating but in the case of some more to do with bad luck then bad training techniques.

jasonl

Juniors
I think it's easy to bag the trainer or the fitness staff in an injury crisis. Lawrence, Tuqiri, Fulton and co were injured on the field in freakish sort of incidents. I don't see the the link with overtraining there. Every team has their turn of having a raft of injuries.

Although I do conceed Jason that I have not seen an injury ward like this before 3 rounds in. We would not be doing due dilligence if we as a club were not looking into perhaps some reasons why. It's mighty frustrating but in the case of some more to do with bad luck then bad training techniques.

Eddie, I was not in any way shape or form trying to bag the training staff - guys like Folkes, Leeds and their entire crew are highly qualified professionals and without question have the best interests of their players at heart.

To see this kind of attrition though is unusual and I was only throwing out the overtraining suggestion as a concept. I've seen it happen first hand to not only footballers but cyclists and track athletes and it's a diminishing return scenario which to this day is still poorly understood.

Hope the Tigers can get some solidarity out of it however and am sure that they will give their all this afternoon. If any good can come out of it, hopefully Moltzen, Fifita, Ashford et al will step up into the breach and fill the gaps.

Best of luck.

Jase

Tigerm

First Grade
Does the injury list show anything but normal footy injuries? Besides Lawrence which is more unusual & I don't know enough to comment on Farrah's condition. It is an impact sport & we are just having a bad run of it at the moment, I don't follow the other teams, but I am sure they have injury lists as well (maybe not with the impact of ours). I remember Sheens saying that the first 5 rounds is all about getting your body ready to get back into the grind & that players adjust to this at different speeds? I think the big issue is: that the players are getting so big & powerful, the league does need to address the attrition rate of teams, either by slowing the game down abit or increasing the roster to cover?

Last edited:

Benji Magic

Juniors
It's possible.

A hip dislocation is an horrific injury. Unlike a shoulder, which you can simply pop back in, in the case of a hip you're talking serious blood supply and nerve ending issues.

Look it up.

A friend of mine had the same thing happen as a result of a high speed motorcycle crash. He was about 22 also and super fit. These days he gets around like House.

I wish Chris all the very best - he's an absolute credit to the team and the game.

It's going to be a hard road nonetheless.

When I was at school a kid fell over kicking a ball and dislocated his hip. One leg ended up shorter than the other and he walked with a limp after that. He also had one boot with a sole about 3 inched thick

Juniors
The emphasis in the off season seems to be to bulk up and an amateur program could have detrimental effects, however I don't think any of the trainers are amateur. Their program would concentrate on natural movements and equally training opposing muscles.

Having said all that running and speed and agility training does put pressure on joints so in theory you could 'overtrain' I'm not sure that it goes the same way in practice.

The question is why us??? And the answer is.......???? Unlucky, overtraining, the way we play perhaps.

The only way we can blame staff is if the doc needles the wrong nerve.......again.

ShanghaiCharlie

Juniors
It is only 3 games in and already half the starting team is injured, many with serious and potentially chronic issues.

Realistically, WT season is over before it has even begun.

In the case of Lawrence, despite the positive news this morning, one has to be resigned to the fact that he might never play again (and if so, certainlty not at the elite level).

Ellis, Gibbs, Ryan, Fulton, Tiquiri, Lui and now Farrah are all in the ward - many with the 'indefinite' stamp.

As much as I admire Steve Folkes for his no compromise methods I feel that this team has been chronically overtrained.

Overtraining is a weird phenomenon but it certainly exists and is very real.

Its primary manifestation is suspectibility to injury. The body is acting in self defence and simply shuts you down.

Have attached a link and if you have time read it.

No doubt Bubbles et al will have a clearer idea of what exactly is going on at the club, but viewing it as an outsider, this 2011 team, with all the weight of being expectant premiers, have well overdone their prep and are paying for it now in the worst possible way.

Damn shame.

Jase

http://physiotherapy.curtin.edu.au/resources/educational-resources/exphys/00/overtraining.cfm
Seriously what the hell do you know about the Tigers training methods? To come out of the blue and say such a thing is just ridiculous. Do you know their training regime? Do you understand high-performance sport? Are you more qualified to comment on or draw up a training regime than the team of professional trainers at the Tigers? You really should become a journalist coming out with that sort of tripe. You're a disgrace.

Tigger Madness

Juniors
Seriously what the hell do you know about the Tigers training methods? To come out of the blue and say such a thing is just ridiculous. Do you know their training regime? Do you understand high-performance sport? Are you more qualified to comment on or draw up a training regime than the team of professional trainers at the Tigers? You really should become a journalist coming out with that sort of tripe. You're a disgrace.

Calm down there chief.

This is obviously a speculative thread and the thread starter has every right to put it out there as a possible reason for our huge injury list.

Borat.

Juniors
ROFL..

jasonl is backing up his argument with a web link and a mate he knows!!!!

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Do u work for a current a fair?? Talk about sensationalism

Chris has had excellent news on his scans, and ross conlon, Michael hagan and Ivan cleary all have comeback from hip dislocations- the later getting the point scoring record the next season...

How did over training relate to Lote's injury???

gronkathon

First Grade
I think we would be better served if we could train as a squad with the playmakers involved rather than substitutes. Continuity in attack is our big uissue out of this week

jasonl

Juniors

Dear SC,

You should maybe read the posts again. I referred to the staff as "highly qualified professionals".

I was simply throwing out the overtraining concept as a speculative theory. In actual fact the phenomnenon does exist and any professional trainer will no doubt confirm that.

It seemed like the basis of an interesting thread.

If you want to reduce it to petty name calling and labelling others as a "disgrace" that probably reflects more on you than me.

I used to quite like this board as it allowed a free exchange and discussion on a whole range of ideas.

The fact that it seems to have been hijacked by a small cadre of small minded demagogues is a shame.

And yeah, I do know a bit about high performance sport (clearly not as much as yourself however).

Whatever.

As to you SC, you might want to calm down a little ...

... take a Valium, get out of the house, hell, maybe get laid or something.

Might do you the world of good.

Kind regards,

Jase

jasonl

Juniors
ROFL..

jasonl is backing up his argument with a web link and a mate he knows!!!!

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Do u work for a current a fair?? Talk about sensationalism

Chris has had excellent news on his scans, and ross conlon, Michael hagan and Ivan cleary all have comeback from hip dislocations- the later getting the point scoring record the next season...

How did over training relate to Lote's injury???

Sure pal, I work for 'a curent a fair'.

Somewhere a village is missing it's idiot.

ShanghaiCharlie

Juniors
I don't mind speculative threads but your baseless thread about overtraining carries about as much weight as me starting a thread stating that 'I believe' the reason we are performing so badly is because too many players are smoking crack cocaine. Your thread is as baseless and ill-informed as this cocaine thread and is pointing fingers at our training staff when you have no idea what regime they have been on over the summer.

Yeah, it's a forum for open discussion but not just to throw baseless accusations around pointing fingers on a whim just to spark a discussion.

Tigger Madness

Juniors
I don't mind speculative threads but your baseless thread about overtraining carries about as much weight as me starting a thread stating that 'I believe' the reason we are performing so badly is because too many players are smoking crack cocaine. Your thread is as baseless and ill-informed as this cocaine thread and is pointing fingers at our training staff when you have no idea what regime they have been on over the summer.

Yeah, it's a forum for open discussion but not just to throw baseless accusations around pointing fingers on a whim just to spark a discussion.

You wouldnt happen to be a member of the Tigers training staff would you? You seem to have taken this thread rather personally.

There is obviously a view from certain people that overtraining can lead to injury. Now Steve Folkes does have a reputation for being a hard trainer, so its not at all a stretch to suggest the possiblity of the team's injuries being a result of overtraining. Or perhaps all the players are smoking crack cocaine....:?

Tendonitis

Tendonitis is a common sports injury that often occurs from overuse. Tendonitis can cause deep, nagging pain that is caused by inflammation of tendons. Treating tendonitis consists of rest, medication, physical therapy or changes to equipment or technique.
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/overtraining/Overtraining.htm

What does Robbie Farah have again?

Im not pointing the finger at you or any of your other colleagues at Tigers HQ, Im sure that you are all consummate professionals that would never allow such a thing to happen. It does, however, make for an interesting discussion on a message board, particularly when when have so many players out through injury.

N.C.

Juniors

Dear Shangri-LaChuck,

I put it to you that the opening post in this thread offered at least some support for its hypothesis, in the form of some links and reference to some commonly held views. Your claim, on the other hand, that too many of our players are smoking crack cocaine, seems a little out of the blue. I have two issues with it in particular.

First, I was not aware that our players were in fact smoking crack cocaine. Apparently this stuff causes supreme confidence, alertness, and increased energy. So, if our players have been smoking it, then I respectfully suggest that their stash ran dry just prior to the recent match against the Roosters. They looked like they were down a little on their usual intensity, and this may be explained by their sudden sobriety. This brings me to my second point...

While not personally a fan of the stuff, an old mate of mine tells me that there's no such thing as too much crack. Now you might think that this doesn't really matter, but the fact of it is that he's the resident plumber at Leichhardt Oval. Taking account of his obviously expert opinion, as well as your sudden allegations, I suspect that many of our players are in fact smoking the stuff, and that it's all his and Beau Ryan's fault. Because Beau knows Leichhardt Oval. But perhaps given our recent performance against the Roosters, it is more correct to say that not enough of our players are smoking crack cocaine.

I'm not really sure. But, you know, I'm just trying to get along with others and participate in this really interesting discussion.

Best wishes,
N.C.

jasonl

Juniors
Crack cocaine?

Real positive contribution to the thread Charlie.

Next time maybe think if you have anything actually intelligent to contribute.

Last edited:

Latest posts