What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oz Boxing

BDR

First Grade
Thought it might be better to have a general thread instead of single threads for bouts?

Anyway, this morning Sam Soliman beat Felix Sturm in an incredible 12 rounder. Used his loping footwork on the outside to outwork him, great fight strategy. He was floored in the 2nd but kept his head and worked his way back into the fight.

I see him fighting Geale now, a big Aussie PPV where Geale can earn some good cash and defend the title.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Unfortunately the best fight,financially,for Geale would be Geale/Mundine 3..

Nice to see Sammy Soliman win..

He is one of the nicest blokes you will ever meet..

bellyache

Bench
Congrates to Sam Sol, IMO Geale should head to the states or get a few yanks to fight him in OZ.. Mundine should be deregistered or have to fight Green at Greens weight like he said he would..

BDR

First Grade
If I'm not mistaken Geale has to fight Soliman now or he will be stripped of the IBF title, so unless he gets a fight with someone like Golovkin, Cesar-Chavez or Martinez I'm pretty sure Geale-Soliman will happen.

A Mundine rubber match shouldn't even be on Geale's radar at this point

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Financially G/M 3 would be the best..

For his legacy,not so much..

Shaw is petitioning for a voluntary defence next fight..

http://www.foxsports.com.au/other-sports/boxing/australian-sam-soliman-produces-a-courageous-unanimous-points-victory-over-felix-sturm-in-germany/story-e6frf5h3-1226567251821

Australian Sam Soliman produces a courageous unanimous points victory over Felix Sturm in Germany..

By Adrian Warren AAP February 02, 2013 11:45AM

Sam Soliman has put himself in line for a crack at IBF middleweight boxing champion Daniel Geale with a courageous unanimous points win over Germany's former world champion Felix Sturm in Dusseldorf.

Soliman was knocked down in round two and would have been well behind after three rounds.

However, 39-year-old Soliman produced one of the great performances of his 16-year professional career, dominating most of the rest of the fight with his superior work rate.

Sturm, who lost his WBA middleweight Super title to Geale last year, couldn't match the industry of the busy Australian, who was relentless through the second half of the bout.

Two judges scored it 114-113 to Soliman and their colleague 116-111 to the Australian.

However, the announcer read the wrong verdict, announcing Sturm the winner before correcting himself much to the relief of Soliman and his camp and the shock of the German crowd.

Geale retained his IBF title on Wednesday by outpointing Anthony Mundine over 12 rounds in Sydney.

Geale's promoter Gary Shaw earlier in the week indicated he might petition the IBF to have a voluntary defence next, rather than fight the winner of Soliman-Sturm.

BDR

First Grade
I really don't think the IBF will let that happen, Soliman has already been knocked back once, and he just beat a consensus top 5 Middleweight in his home country. He's 39 and has no obvious fights, it's kinda now or never for him.

I'm a bit torn, I want to see Geale-Soliman but I also want to see Geale head overseas or bring a serious big name down here.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
1sammy.jpg

bellyache

Bench
I really don't think the IBF will let that happen, Soliman has already been knocked back once, and he just beat a consensus top 5 Middleweight in his home country. He's 39 and has no obvious fights, it's kinda now or never for him.

I'm a bit torn, I want to see Geale-Soliman but I also want to see Geale head overseas or bring a serious big name down here.
I hate to spoil the party but IMO Soliman has probably just fought his best fight and would be better off having a rematch in germany then retiring..

andrew057

First Grade
I see him fighting Geale now, a big Aussie PPV where Geale can earn some good cash and defend the title.

Fight wouldnt get a quarter of the PPV numbers the Mundine fight did. Unfortunately Horrie is right and a rubber match will probably happen.

royce10

Juniors
Soliman is a bum which proves how much of a bum Sturm is.

Shaw will keep Geale far away from Martinez or at least until Martinez starts to show his age.

Golovkin is much more beatable but is high risk low reward.

BDR

First Grade
Felix Sturm is not a bum... what a ridiculous statement. He has lost two on the trot now, and I don't know how he can come back from that really. But he has been a top Middleweight for over a decade, including a "loss" to De La Hoya that bordered on daylight robbery.

How about giving Soliman his due? If you watched the fight you would understand the fact that he implemented a terrific game plan and as usual was in peak condition which let him wear Sturm out.

royce10

Juniors
Felix Sturm is not a bum... what a ridiculous statement. He has lost two on the trot now, and I don't know how he can come back from that really. But he has been a top Middleweight for over a decade, including a "loss" to De La Hoya that bordered on daylight robbery.

How about giving Soliman his due? If you watched the fight you would understand the fact that he implemented a terrific game plan and as usual was in peak condition which let him wear Sturm out.

Come on now.... Sturm was a protected species and held onto his title by fighting bottom tier contenders in Germany. He took the easy route... good on him and good riddance.

As for Soliman, I watched the highlights and I just can't stand watching his fights. They bore the hell outta me. He's always in peak fighting condition, I give him that. A fight between him and Geale will see a lot of leather thrown but not much connecting.

I don't give credit out so easily, especially for beating a bum. Beat Golovkin or Chavez, then we can talk.

royce10

Juniors
Uhh these mems are getting worse.

Wonder if the creator realises Mundine beat the shit out of Solimon? Guess winning a fight in Germany is more important though :roll:

Most Mundine haters don't actually follow boxing, so you gotta give Mundine credit for generating interest if nothing else.

bellyache

Bench
Most Mundine haters don't actually follow boxing, so you gotta give Mundine credit for generating interest if nothing else.
Choc has put current OZ boxing on the map but I wish he would have respected Boxing and all involved a bit more than the $$$$$..... Mundine hasn't achieved anything other than being OZ's Boxing biggest JOKE title... Well done Choc...

andrew057

First Grade
Choc has put current OZ boxing on the map but I wish he would have respected Boxing and all involved a bit more than the $$$$$..... Mundine hasn't achieved anything other than being OZ's Boxing biggest JOKE title... Well done Choc...

Yawn