What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oz Boxing

Horrie Is God

First Grade
The bad week for Aussie boxing continues..

Mick was a true warrior but he was lucky he had a guy like Johnny Lewis in his corner who was more worried about his fighters health,than making $$..

Thanks for the memories Rocky..

Hope you live a long & fruitful life outside the squared circle..

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/boxing-mma/boxer-michael-katsidis-forced-out-of-fight-set-to-retire-on-medical-advice/story-fndeeomn-1226576241160

Boxer Michael Katsidis set to retire on medical advice..

Grantlee Kieza The Courier-Mail February 12, 2013 11:00PM

A TEAR ran down the face of Michael Katsidis when he learnt he would most likely never fight again.

But despite the raw, painful emotions swirling through the mind of the Toowoomba fighter devastated by the results of a damning medical report, he turned to his trainer Johnny Lewis and said "Thank you''.

Katsidis had started training with Lewis, Australia's most successful boxing coach, late last year with a view to rebuilding his career and chasing another world championship.

It was Lewis who had insisted that Katsidis, 32, have stringent CAT scans and MRI tests at a Sydney clinic before he fought again.

Lewis was justifiably worried about the health of the fearsome brawler, a 2000 Olympian whose face-first slugging style carried him through 20 years of hard fights around the world as an amateur and professional.

Katsidis, who twice held versions of the world lightweight title, was due to fight Filipino Weng Haya in Melbourne on February 21 in a bout he hoped would revitalise his career after four losses in five fights.

But yesterday Katsidis was forced to post on his Facebook page: ``Unfortunately I have had to pull out of my fight on feb 21st. I have a story to tell and I will be telling it, but right now I need to talk with my family, management as well as medical staff. Thanks for your support and understanding.''

Lewis said the news was heartbreaking - but in boxing it was always better to be safe than sorry.

"Rather than be really sad, we should be glad that Michael is not going into a fight with a question mark over his health,'' he said.

"He wants to speak to his family first before announcing anything but really I'm glad the tests have stopped him fighting before something really bad happened.

"Boxing is a tough sport and it's no good taking chances with your health. Michael is a great bloke with a wife and young daughter and he has so much in his life to be happy about even though this chapter of his boxing career is closing.''

It is a double blow for Katsidis whose brother, star jockey Stathi, died in Brisbane after an all-night bender in 2010.

BDR

First Grade
Yeah I heard about Kat having to retire. Sad, he was an enjoyable fighter to watch and was quite feared in his day.

royce10

Juniors
Kid was a warrior, fought to the very end. He took the hard route to the title by fighting absolute monsters. The quality of his opposition, rivals that of Kostya's imo.

His style was great to watch but was always going to cause him problems in the long run.

Best Aussie fighter of the last ten years. Good luck to him.

royce10

Juniors
Great performance by Adrien Broner today. He's one big fight away from superstardom.

If you haven't seen him fight, you're missing out on a lot. Such is his talent, some bookies had him at 80-1 to win. Thats double Tyson v Douglas. His antics aren't everyone's cup of tea but his talent is the equalizer.

When he turns it on, there's no one more dominant in boxing today.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Haha. Columbin vs tukes. Both are bare foot since the advertisement in the middle of the ring is too slippery. Oz boxing is a joke haha.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
And Dib loses his IBF title in a split decision..

Gradovich kept the pressure on for the full 12 rounds,& Billy couldn't handle it..

BDR

First Grade
Yep Dib had no answers... that's really disappointing. Hope he can make a comeback he's certainly young enough.

Wizardman

First Grade
Looks like Sam Soliman failed a drugs test for his last fight against Felix Strum. It seems out of character for him.

Fire

First Grade
I'm embarrassed to claim Dib as a Dragons fan after that performance. His opponent only had a month to prepare and was coming back from holidays.

My heart sank when the announcer said that the judges had reached a split decision. I thought they were going to rob the poor merkin.

Hats off to the Russian-Mexican kid. He fought an awesome fight.

Cheers for posting the reminder to Horrie. I haven't been following boxing closely the past few weeks and forgot it was on. Immediately put the TV on when you posted. Cheers.

royce10

Juniors
Honestly, despite Dib being a titlest, he was largely untested. Unfortunately for him, he may have ran into an extremely promising prospect.

Fire

First Grade
I agree Royce. He has a good trainer in his corner too. Good luck to him I reckon.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Looks like Sam Soliman failed a drugs test for his last fight against Felix Strum. It seems out of character for him.

Sammy has called in the lawyers..

I'm embarrassed to claim Dib as a Dragons fan after that performance. His opponent only had a month to prepare and was coming back from holidays.

My heart sank when the announcer said that the judges had reached a split decision. I thought they were going to rob the poor merkin.

Hats off to the Russian-Mexican kid. He fought an awesome fight.

Cheers for posting the reminder to Horrie. I haven't been following boxing closely the past few weeks and forgot it was on. Immediately put the TV on when you posted. Cheers.

No worries..

Honestly, despite Dib being a titlest, he was largely untested. Unfortunately for him, he may have ran into an extremely promising prospect.

Yep..

royce10

Juniors
Rigondeaux outclassed Donaire in a great boxing exhibition. The Cubans slick counterpunching and defense was far too superior for the champ.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
The Dib fight against Oliver was on ESPN earlier today..

Dib got the majority points decision, but wasn't overly impressive..

He was twice as big as Oliver, but wasn't hurting him..

Dib was one low blow away from being DQ'ed..

Latest posts