What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paasi Signs

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Paasi rejoins Vodafone Warriors
Powerhouse forward Agnatius Paasi is back home after signing a two-year contract with the Vodafone Warriors.

A 2011 NYC premiership winner with the Vodafone Junior Warriors, Paasi has rejoined his first NRL club after making 54 appearances for the Gold Coast Titans over the last three seasons.

He’s the third former Vodafone Warrior to confirm his return to Mount Smart Stadium for next season. The club recently confirmed Kiwi utility back Peta Hiku and back rower Matiu Love-Henry had been signed after playing for the Vodafone Warriors at NYC level earlier in their careers.

“Agnatius became available after being released on compassionate grounds so he and his family could return home,” said Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George.

“We’re excited to be able to add him to our roster. He’s another aggressive forward, just the type Stephen (Kearney) is after as we look to boost our front row resources.”

Paasi is the seventh signing for 2018, one of the others being his Gold Coast team-mate Leivaha Pulu. The others secured have been Tohu Harris (Melbourne), Gerard Beale (Cronulla) and Adam Blair (Brisbane) plus Hiku and Love-Henry.

After his NRL debut for the Vodafone Warriors in 2014, Paasi linked up with the Titans from 2015-2017, playing 18 times in his first season and all 25 in 2016 before injury restricted him to 11 games this year.

He was outstanding at the 2016 NRL Auckland Nines at Eden Park when he helped the Titans to the semi-finals and was named in the team of the tournament.

It was the precursor to an impressive NRL campaign when he scored five tries while averaging 11 runs and 105 metres a game as well as 20 tackles a game. His key statistics were similar in his disrupted 2017 season.

A Mangere East Hawks junior, Paasi attended Keebra Park State High School on the Gold Coast before joining the Vodafone Warriors. In his only NYC season in 2011, he played 21 games and was used off the bench in the 31-30 golden point grand final win over the North Queensland Cowboys.

He went on to play for the Vulcans (2012-2013) and the Vodafone Warriors (2014) in the New South Wales Cup (now the Intrust Super Premiership) before being signed by the Titans.

AGNATIUS PAASI

Date of Birth: November 30, 1991

Birthplace: Lapaha, Tonga

Junior Club: Mangere East Hawks

Position: Prop/Second Row/Loose Forward

Height: 1.82m

Weight: 111kg

Rep Honours: 1 Test for Mate Ma’a Tonga (2014), Junior Kiwis (2011)

Previous Clubs: Vodafone Warriors (2014), Gold Coast Titans (2015-2017)

NRL Debut: Vodafone Warriors v Brisbane, Suncorp Stadium, July 19, 2014 (Round 19)

NRL Career: 55 appearances 2014-2017:

Vodafone Warriors: 1 appearance (2014)

Gold Coast: 54 appearances (2015-2017)

NRL Points: 28 (7 tries):

Vodafone Warriors: 0

Gold Coast: 28 (7 tries)

NYC Career: 21 appearances for Vodafone Junior Warriors (2011)

NYC Points: 24 (6 tries)

http://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2017/11/06/_signing_paasi_rejoi.html

BLN2

Juniors
Awesome luck for us. Still probably need another prop to get Blair into the 13 jersey IMO.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Basically gives us a forward pack selection pool of:

Bunty Afoa
Isaiah Papalii
James Gavet
Ligi Sao
Chris Satae
Simon Mannering
Sam Lisone
Jazz Tevega
Patrick Sipley
Albert Vete
Tohu Harris
Leivaha Pulu
Adam Blair
Matiu Love-Henry
Agnatius Paasi

Thoughts....?

Iafeta

Referee
A lot of names, and you'd hope a few of those blokes step up. But to me aside from Harris and Mannering I don't see consistent top liners that would concern opponents.

WellsNZ

Juniors
Certainly a signing to be happy about, and released so he could come home hopefully means the Warriors got a good deal.

Still agree with the above though, the pack is short on consistent regular top grade talent that are of much concern to opponents. It's not a list of guys you're reading through and being worried about unless we see some big improvements from some of the younger blokes. But Paasi will give them some aggression and venom without accompanying it with a bunch of dopey shit which will be well appreciated.

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
Very happy with this signing. I still think we're one big prop short of a really good forward pack (although there are rumours about an English prop?)

10- Blair
9- Luke/Roache
8- Gavet
11-Harris
12-Bunty/Papali'i
13-Mannering

14- Roache/Luke
15-Pulu
16-Paasi
17-Lisone

I think it looks alright. Not the biggest pack running around but there's a bit of agility and skill in there.

Very happy with this signing. I still think we're one big prop short of a really good forward pack (although there are rumours about an English prop?)

10- Blair
9- Luke/Roache
8- Gavet
11-Harris
12-Bunty/Papali'i
13-Mannering

14- Roache/Luke
15-Pulu
16-Paasi
17-Lisone

I think it looks alright. Not the biggest pack running around but there's a bit of agility and skill in there.

I exchange Lisone for Vete. But overall starting to take some shape. Agreed 1 more solid forward would do us wonders.