What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers CEO Corey Payne gone apparently

Kilkenny

Coach
Four months into the job and Corey Payne is gone apparently.

News broken by the Western Weekender this evening.

Statement from the club to be released on Monday.

Blues Riff

Bench
Hmm could this be to do with the apology to Western Sydney re the world cup? The RLWC boss had a massive meltdown apparently.

Doomednow

Bench
I don't even understand what happened with the RLIF thing. No matches in Western Sydney, so Payne apologises, Brown leaves an angry voice mail, then Brown resigns and then Payne resigns.

Yeah. Nah.

Blues Riff

Bench
I don't even understand what happened with the RLIF thing. No matches in Western Sydney, so Payne apologises, Brown leaves an angry voice mail, then Brown resigns and then Payne resigns.

Yeah. Nah.
Nah doesn't make sense. Gus is off twitter again. Usually does that when there's something he won't discuss.

martielang

Bench
Needed to be done. Allegably 90% of the administration staff were ready to walk. I've heard some pretty amazingly cringeworthy stories since he's started...

Jobs for the boys? What relationship did he have with the club prior. He was also 3rd choice.

Pomoz

Bench
I am sorry it hasn't worked out, because I want the club to succeed. I was hoping under Gus's tutelage he would be able to make up for his lack experience. But, he is 31! He has no experience to be a CEO and leader when he was playing football until he was 28. Its like playing first grade, most players need at least 50 games under their belt before they are a seasoned first grader. Payne has barely any experience. Part of his 3 years was doing a study trip overseas for a master's thesis. His ability to manage staff and relate to other people will be lacking and what martielang has said is exactly what you would expect. He is displaying all the symptoms of a typical newbie manager. Why? Because he is.

Royce is King

Juniors
martielang its smacks of a job for the boys..... your right he has no history at penrith but he is mates with Gould. Lets look at how he got the top job
Step 1. Rings gould to look at the accademy
step.2 Asks who the new ceo is
step 3. within a week he gets the top job at 31 yrs of age and as pomoz has stated lacks the skills that only experiance can produce.

Step 4. The result of a very ordinary process to get the best person for a very important job... shitfight

BxTom

Bench
I am sorry it hasn't worked out, because I want the club to succeed. I was hoping under Gus's tutelage he would be able to make up for his lack experience. But, he is 31! He has no experience to be a CEO and leader when he was playing football until he was 28. Its like playing first grade, most players need at least 50 games under their belt before they are a seasoned first grader. Payne has barely any experience. Part of his 3 years was doing a study trip overseas for a master's thesis. His ability to manage staff and relate to other people will be lacking and what martielang has said is exactly what you would expect. He is displaying all the symptoms of a typical newbie manager. Why? Because he is.

It sounds as though, like a lot of inexperienced (or incompetent) managers, he was given a staff of authority and used it as a club of power.

Tom.

Pomoz

Bench
It sounds as though, like a lot of inexperienced (or incompetent) managers, he was given a staff of authority and used it as a club of power.

Tom.
True leadership doesn't require a staff of authority. People follow a true leader because they want to, not because they have to. Once you need executive authority to get people to do what you want, you have already lost their respect.

BxTom

Bench
True leadership doesn't require a staff of authority. People follow a true leader because they want to, not because they have to. Once you need executive authority to get people to do what you want, you have already lost their respect.

Pomoz, with all due respect please read what I said again - I think that we are actually in agreement. I said he was GIVEN the staff of authority, which he was as being appointed CEO dictates. The fact that he used it (or more likely misused it) is a different story. The staff of Authority/Club of Power is a quote from somebody who's name I cannot recall at present, but that is it's meaning. I agree that a good leader should not, in most cases, need to rely on authority instead of leadership. The difference between leadership and leadersh!t.

Tom.