What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers CEO Corey Payne gone apparently

mxlegend99

Referee
Yeah... theres going to be a better opportunity for a guy his age than CEO of a football club. Gotta love damage control.

Kilkenny

Coach
The one thing I am sure of in this sorry mess is we almost certainly haven't heard the last of it.

The anti Gus Gould journo's out there are going to be feverishly trying to get a scoop on the real issues behind the 'resignation'

There is more to come you can be sure of that!!!

Frankus

Juniors
Yeah... theres going to be a better opportunity for a guy his age than CEO of a football club. Gotta love damage control.
Yeah I see your point.

However, I can guarantee there are far better financially rewarding jobs overseas.

Kilkenny

Coach
His 'leaving' for want of a better word has nothing to do with money or better opportunities that's just the politically correct spin being applied.

Something has clearly gone very wrong and the truth will surely come out in due course.

Fibroman

First Grade
Leadership is a complex but interesting discussion topic. Some people get a lot of experience before they are 30. For example, an army officer joining at 21 and spending 9 years leading men in Afghanistan and Iraq, will have experiences hard to replicate working as a manager in Woolworths straight out of University. The army officer or a senior NCO (sergeant for example) may know nothing about commercial agreements and making money from selling beans, but they will have a deep understanding of people, how they cope with adversity and how to motivate them. I would be surprised if they aren't humble and grounded.

I agree, it is possible for young people to have great leadership qualities. For most people, it is just more difficult to accumulate the experience in a short time frame. In my experience, young leaders often have great decision making capability. They can be smart and make great commercial decisions as good as any 50 year old leader. They can analyse data and spot what needs to be done as well as anybody twice their age. It is dealing with the inevitable complexities of human beings where it tends to go wrong.

Part of the problem is companies fast tracking graduates into leadership roles, putting them straight out of uni into an assistant or trainee manager role. How can you be a good leader if you have never been at the lowest level as a follower? Not for years, but at least spending six months on the shop floor getting managed by a supervisor. Getting told off and made to do menial tasks. It is very difficult to relate to people if you have not stood in their shoes, or something similar at some point. I have had some appalling managers with that type of background.

Corey Payne has started out as an NRL first grader when he was 20 and played until he was 28. Then into a management role at Woolworths head office (for 1 year) and then CEO. I mean, just reading that out loud it sounds ridiculous. I haven't read Roger's book, but I bet his experience was nothing like the rails run Payne has had.

You know what? It isn't his fault. Wiser heads should have given him better advice and told him to pay his dues. He will get the big chair one day, but will have more chance of success if he does a few more roles at less senior levels. Watch other leaders in action, see what they do and learn from them. What to do and what not to do. Poor bloke didn't have a chance.

You don't need to be young to provide continuity. If we can get a CEO to last five years they will already exceed the average tenure of a Fortune 500 company (less than 3 years). Even a sixty year old can give us five years.

Very good post Pomoz. I enjoyed the read.

Fibroman

First Grade
One only needs to look closely at the resumes of the current board of directors to sniff out a possible weakness in the overall running of the club.

roofromoz

First Grade
Some stories have come to light...

From the Masked Panther column in the Western Weekender:

payne.png

And from Triple M / 7th Tackle...

A few months ago the Panthers allowed their new-CEO, Corey Payne, to travel to China. Hardly a month in the chair, the 32-year-old made the trip to broaden his studies.

On his return, Payne was keen to share the fruits of his education with peers from other clubs.

He was noticeably vocal at a pathways seminar at Canterbury Leagues last month. Few in attendance were impressed by the rookie’s confidence and pride in his academic achievements; which was also wearing thin at Penrith.

In the 24 hours since the Panthers confirmed Payne’s departure – just four months after he was hired – we’ve heard a flurry of bizarre stories.

The best involves some unsolicited advice he gave to coach Anthony Griffin, whose drawling delivery could apparently use some more media training.

Griffin didn’t take kindly to the feedback, as it was offered in front of other staffers during a presentation.

Not even general manager Phil Gould, who was instrumental in employing Payne, could change their minds.

Panthers Group CEO Brian Fletcher has now taken on Payne’s role in the football department – a set-up we’re told could continue for some time.

The final question now is: will Payne be remembered as the most ill-fated CEO appointment in NRL history.

If not for the basket case otherwise known as the Parramatta Eels, we reckon he might well have gotten the gong.

Former Eels boss Paul Osborne – who found himself under police investigation at one point for leaving a Woolworths supermarket without paying for his groceries – probably gets the nod.

Ironically enough, Payne was a high-ranking executive at Woolworths before joining the Panthers.

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sp...tackle-why-corey-payne-left-penrith-panthers/

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
Sounds like a bit of a tool... Said all the right things and seemed positive. But behind closed doors can always be a different story..

Pomoz

Bench
Of course criticism in front of other people is not a good thing to do. It can undermine and humiliate people. But don't judge him too harshly, he was probably full of enthusiasm and genuinely thought he was helping.

I have done the same thing as a young executive in my first national commercial manager role in a transport company. I negotiated what I thought was the best deal for tyres since the invention of the toaster. The new supplier called me miffed that our big Brisbane branch wasn't using their tyres.

I met with the Brisbane maintenance manager, a man not too dissimilar to Hook, a QLD country boy who grew up fixing trucks on a farm. 'Why aren't you using the tyres from our preferred supplier, it's a great deal?'. He smiled and said 'young fella, how much does it cost when a truck has a puncture and is off the road?' . I paused, ''probably $250 an hour in lost revenue plus a drivers wages because they are not productive'. He rubbed his chin and looked me straight in the eye 'that's about what I reckon too. That's why I use Jim for all our tyres. When we get a puncture he will come out and change it 24/7 and charge no extra. The bloke came out on Christmas Eve last year. I don't mind paying an extra $50 a tyre, it's worth it. Will the sales guy you dealt with offer that?'. I thought of the sales guy with his monogrammed shirts and BMW M3 and said 'probably not, good point. I didn't quite get this right did I?'. He smiled and said 'young fella, you're learning, cheap ain't always good'.

He was so right of course. I let my enthusiasm get the best of me because I was so keen to make a deal and impress everyone. I didn't stop to talk to our maintenance managers. Every one of them an ex tradie and rough around the edges but great at what they do. Degrees? Nope. Street smart? You bet. I didn't make the same mistake twice and Corey will be better for his humbling experience.

Big Mick

Referee
I had high hopes that Corey may be good...seemed good on the surface but turns out to be a massive trackhead behind closed doors.

That's a shame.

Ah well.

betcats

Referee
You can be the smartest most well educated person in the world but if you don't have people skills you won't last in a corporate environment.

Big Mick

Referee
You can be the smartest most well educated person in the world but if you don't have people skills you won't last in a corporate environment.

Yep I've seen that first hand.

Guy came in as the most educated person I'd seen. But he was a massive trackhead. Lasted 3 months before getting punted.