What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers CEO: "We'd be looking to extend" Griffin's contract

MOST coaches going as poorly as Penrith’s Anthony Griffin would be concerned for their future. Not at the foot of the mountains where Gus Gould and the Panthers management are actually considering a contract extension.

“The coach is as sweet as a nut,” said Panthers CEO Brian Fletcher. “He’s got a year to go on his contract and before the end of the season we’d be looking to extend it. He’s the right fit for all our young blokes. We’d like to be winning but there’s no drama in the place.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...tory/d7f570e2ec000b169c358b84e9c755f5?login=1

Lost for words

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
f**k me. "We'd like to be winning" - that's the spirit! f**k me. It's like the entire club has caught the somnolent Griffin vibe.

roofromoz

First Grade
Jnqjq-9.jpg

The optimist in me is saying that it is code for "full support of the board" and will be gone by the end in May.

The pessimist in me is saying he says what he means and we will have many more years of Matt Elliott Mk 2 at the helm.

Copperhead

Juniors
Well that should make a few on here happy who dont want to see the club do anything.

Why do anything? You heard him everything's fine.

If they keep learning these important lessons each week, by the end of his tenure they'll all have degrees in incompetence.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I can understand the CEO coming out and simply saying "Griffin has our full support" because that's the type of bullshit all CEOs say when behind-the-scenes decisions are still up in the air.

But to come out and say you are actively considering a contract extension in the face of an abysmal start to the season makes the club look absolutely foolish, because (a) it suggests that you make these important decisions without considering actual job performance, (b) being a winning club doesn't matter as much as the young players liking your coach, or (c) you are just giving a big "f**k you" to the fans for daring to complain about things "Sack him? f**k you, we are going to extend him, you whining f**ks."

What an idiot.

I can understand the CEO coming out and simply saying "Griffin has our full support" because that's the type of bullshit all CEOs say when behind-the-scenes decisions are still up in the air.

But to come out and say you are actively considering a contract extension in the face of an abysmal start to the season makes the club look absolutely foolish, because (a) it suggests that you make these important decisions without considering actual job performance, (b) being a winning club doesn't matter as much as the young players liking your coach, or (c) you are just giving a big "f**k you" to the fans for daring to complain about things "Sack him? f**k you, we are going to extend him, you whining f**ks."

What an idiot.

Yeah that's how I felt.

Totally different ballgame to mention a contract extension, completely bizarre.

The Teach

Juniors
I guess we're not planning on winning any games for the next 5 years. Great 5 year plan Gus!

Panfa

Juniors
Correct me if im wrong but if you were in charge of a business and your company was struggling and going like busted would you resign the bloke in charge or fire him im not totally saying its all griffins fault the players need to have a long hard look at themselves but at the end of the day the buck stops with the coach hes responsible for selections tactics and results and this yr we have sucked in all 3 we have gone from favourites to win the comp to favourites to win the spoon in 9 weeks

The Teach

Juniors
Someone needs to explain to Gus that there is no draft like the afl at seasons end so 5 years of tanking won't get top picks, it will only get annoyed fans...

age.s

First Grade
This is too ridiculous to be true on face value right? "Contract extension" is just in house jargon for "early termination".

betcats

Referee
I am not buying that. I have my doubts whether he will be fired or not this year no matter how bad it got but he wont be getting an extension.

Whino

Bench
I"II provide a different perspective.
There is heat on the coach atm and Penrith maybe looking to deflect that heat off Griffin have come out and said this. In Griffin's position it also gives him an incentive to try and turn the team around to earn a new deal.

In saying that if we continue to to play poorly and finish in the bottom 2 or bottom 4, there is no way the coach can rightly deserve a extended deal.

Exsilium

First Grade
A bit of perspective...

I think most NRL clubs are too quick to sack coaches after limited time and mixed success. He has only been in charge for a short amount of time. The success of the current Broncos system has a lot to do with his development structure and planning.

I am trying not to defend his team selections or bench play but as a club I feel that changing coaches isnt going to benefit us. The following coaches have been in the crosshairs this season:

Griffin - Still in charge
Bennett - Still in charge
Hasler - Still in charge
Taylor - Sacked
McClennan - Sacked for Kearney (who has a horrible record)

Point being, teams will struggle every so often, fans call for blood and some of those teams were top 6 teams which have fallen on hard times. All will stuggle for different reasons. Sure we suck right now and our team selections blow but I just dont see changing coaches being the answer. We have pretty average cattle right now, well at least not on paper but we just dont have a squad who should or could be pushing a top 4. Maybe a consistent top 8 team is a more realistic prospect.

I know some of you think we are top 4 and base this on last seasons efforts but if you compare our players to those in the top 4, I think youll find significant variences. We do not play a brand of football which wins matches year in and year out. Call it a culture of winning or whatever, we lack the killer punch, aggression and dominance of a top 8 team.

I am super disappointed about the season, even though I thought we were way overhyped and would miss the eight, however we do actually have a talented side and maybe in couple years success will be a tangible thing for us. Not 100% sure but Id hope so. Right now I want someone to give these guys experience and try our best to be competitive. We also have too many players out of position and we're trying hard to squeeze all our talent into a 17 which isnt working for us.

Moylan to 6, DWZ/Edwards to FB and peachey off the bench and wed have a solid team. Man our forwards up a little and maybe add some aggression and we would be pushing hard for a premiership but for now, we are playing like garbage, with no confidence and we're hurting. The whole club is in a rut.

A couple wins will do us good. We wont make it this year but we will need to string some wins together to get any belief in this team.

Id like to see the players pull their fingers out and try a little harder. Hit with more intent, pass with more vision, kick with purpose. Rather than just go through the motions and hope to jag a win. Ultimately our players are letting this team down.

Latest posts