What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers in crisis.

aqua_duck

Coach
Can you imagine:
Cowboys taking captaincy away from JT?
Storm taking captaincy away from Smith?
Sharks taking captaincy away from Gallen?
Tigers taking captaincy away from Farah?
Broncos taking captaincy away from Thirdman?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Kingston needs to left out of this, his role could be anyone....

Not what this is about.

Aragorn

First Grade
It's obvious Lewis has done something naughtly like slept with Clearly's wife.... would you remove his captaincy if you knew your wife was calling him "captain lewis! captain lewis!" all night in her sleep? :)

Achillies

Juniors
Has this got anything to do with their salary cap issues? Lewis would be nearing 30 and has had his issues with injury. Lewis and Jennings gone would free up over a million dollars.

franklin2323

Immortal
STOP IT!

Stop using logic. There is none of that on LU...

Yeah my mistake. The rubbish thing is we will be crap next year as well so have 2 years of this stuff. If slothfield like gus we don't have these stories.

When Thaiday doesn't backup. When Smith doesn't start they have new captains. This just lets the team know who's incharge.

Like any leadership group if Lewis plays or trains he will have input.

I can't support this decision.

Lewis is a club legend , he deserves the highest respect and stripping him of the captaincy like this is a massive insult IMO.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Can you imagine:
Cowboys taking captaincy away from JT?
Storm taking captaincy away from Smith?
Sharks taking captaincy away from Gallen?
Tigers taking captaincy away from Farah?
Broncos taking captaincy away from Thirdman?
This was my point.

Some idiots saying this is a beatup, literally NOONE else does this.

Iafeta

Referee
Cleary will have a plan behind this. It seems to me Lewis' form hasn't been that good with the captaincy burdens. I'd back Ivan's judgments... he had the nuts to pick Simon Mannering over Steve Price as Warriors captain and was roundly criticised, but I feel the Warriors have benefitted from that decision... he was also behind moving Jacob Lillyman and Ben Matulino in from the second row to prop, and their careers have taken off enormously. He isn't one who makes decisions overnight without a lot of thought, he doesn't panic. Manu Vatuvei repaid him in spades over the years. He seems to have timed the introduction of the NYC stars at the Warriors very intelligently despite pressure to do it earlier. But if things need changing, he'll do it... last year he turned around momentum off a 0-3 start by dropping Kevin Locke to the bench, Lance Hohaia to the Vulcans, Brett Seymour to the Vulcans, picking Glen Fisiiahi at fullback, Bill Tupou on the wing and Feleti Mateo at five eighth against a Sharks team that was on a rolll... they rolled the Sharks that day and the season took off from there, driving right through to a Grand Final appearance.

I'd back him. I'd also have him back at the Warriors.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Cleary has a 68-3-66 record at the Warriors. The talent he had at his disposal warranted a better record than that you would think.

Add his record at Penrith and he now has a sub 50% winning record.

It seems that one GF is overrating him.

Lots of similarities between him and Daniel Anderson.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
All Gus! Not sure if Price was stripped of captaincy at Warriors.

He was, although it happened at the start of the season, for different reasons (Cleary knew that Price was getting towards the end of his career and I think he wanted Mannering to get used to the job while he still had Price around to mentor him). It still ruffled feasthers at the time though.

typicalfan

Coach
Yeah my mistake. The rubbish thing is we will be crap next year as well so have 2 years of this stuff. If slothfield like gus we don't have these stories.

When Thaiday doesn't backup. When Smith doesn't start they have new captains. This just lets the team know who's incharge.

Like any leadership group if Lewis plays or trains he will have input.
How does this compare to Cameron Smith and the storm. Really?

Luke Lewis IS playing you realise.

Iafeta

Referee
Cleary has a 68-3-66 record at the Warriors. The talent he had at his disposal warranted a better record than that you would think.

Put it into context. What was the clubs record for the two seasons prior to Cleary taking over? Disastrous. He got them to the finals 4 out of 6 seasons, first season he missed only because the previous management had breached the salary cap. Either way, 4 out of 6, or 5 out of is a great outcome. Brian McClennan has inherited better sides than Cleary had at his disposal, and some of their stuff currently is listless. The other season FTR was the Sonny Fai year, I still don't think any coach was going to pull the club through that nightmare.

There are no similarities between him and Daniel Anderson. Completely different types of coaches, completely different personalities. Cleary is more subdued and focused on club culture and building something long term. Under his management the club took a far greater focus on producing from its own junior base. Take a look at how many Kiwis have been introduced to first grade by Ivan, and also, at the Warriors, take a look at the absolute vast majority of players who improved significantly under Ivan Cleary. He is, without a shadow of a doubt, the best coach the Warriors have ever had.

Aragorn

First Grade
panthers 22 manly 4 with 5 min left....club still in crisis? hahahahaha... you clowns....

Izz

Bench

derp

Constraint

Juniors
Wait, people still quote and reply to BunniesMan as if his opinion is somehow relevant in any way, shape or form? That's a little sad.

Good win, Panthers, hoping more are on their way.