What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers in crisis.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Gould did speak at length though, about the fact that Ivan Cleary has certain expectations of players and their attitudes, and if they don't fit in with the culture that he's trying to promote there, well then that's stiff shit for everyone else..

IMO, the culture at the Warriors has improved out of sight at least in part because of this stance. Whilst we may not have been the best side in the comp over the past half a decade or so, I've never felt that this is because of a lack of effort or a poor attitude from the players. Very different story with the Warriors sides prior to Cleary.

Hooch

Juniors
I still find it hard to believe they couldn't talk Lewis around and get him on side, and get him to understand Jennings is on too much.

So perhaps they think Lewis is on too much as well and want to reduce his influence...

OP has a gender crisis ...

21074317.jpg

franklin2323

Immortal
Jennings is not worth $400k total contract. I am still gobsmacked how a centre who had shown glimpses of brilliance could be signed for such a huge amount

Is Sandow worth $500k? If someone offers that you match or lose the player. The problem is other teams offer contracts yet not all are on the books.

The things he shows speed, footwork etc. You can't train. If any coach gets him to get more ball. Whether it's him roaming or better halves or show interest when defending. He will be worth every cent.

We had lost a 20yo 1/2 Graham & Pritchard. No way weren't going to not give him what we had to.

Bretto

Bench
Is Sandow worth $500k? If someone offers that you match or lose the player. The problem is other teams offer contracts yet not all are on the books.

The things he shows speed, footwork etc. You can't train. If any coach gets him to get more ball. Whether it's him roaming or better halves or show interest when defending. He will be worth every cent.

We had lost a 20yo 1/2 Graham & Pritchard. No way weren't going to not give him what we had to.

All fair enough, but what's the point in shelling out $600k+ a year, and not getting a return on your investment? You wouldn't put down $600k for a nice apartment in Sydney, only to rent it out as public housing for $50/week would you.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I still find it hard to believe they couldn't talk Lewis around and get him on side, and get him to understand Jennings is on too much.

So perhaps they think Lewis is on too much as well and want to reduce his influence...

Now you're getting somewhere...

Hooch

Juniors
That's right smarty pants, the question is do they want to push him out the door or not at some stage.

He could be on 500k and I'd reckon they'd be mad to punt him, that club need leaders and Kingston isn't the answer.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Put it this way, his current contract is presumably percentage wise per cap, larger than the next one he is offered.

Gould will be looking to repeat his Roosters formula. It will be ruthless. But it may bring sustained success in the long term. If Lewis learns his place and his real value, while performing, then he may be spared like Ricketson was...

Bretto

Bench
Lewis is a good player, a great player in fact. But the truth is, there's heaps of great backrowers in the comp who would play for, presumably less, than what Lewis is on now.

I think Gould is going old school on them, and the players are feeling the pinch.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
All fair enough, but what's the point in shelling out $600k+ a year, and not getting a return on your investment? You wouldn't put down $600k for a nice apartment in Sydney, only to rent it out as public housing for $50/week would you.

I was just explaining why he's on so much. If another team did offer $550k there is no way more then $400k would be on the books.

Yeah. That's why we would be stupid to release him. We have a bad enough roster without paying our best back to play against us.

Ivan needs to put the cards on the table tell him what he expects. Gus needs to stop whinging. Organise him a $100k deal doing OAK ads or channel 9 or something to take some burden aeay.

Hooch

Juniors
Lewis has three years inclusive to run and won't take a pay cut, and neither will Jennings.

If you're looking to push your captain out, this makes sense. Maybe they'll tell him to look to ESL in the off season.

Or it could just be the usual Gus headf**k bullshit, and there's no real grand plan behind it.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Lewis has three years inclusive to run and won't take a pay cut, and neither will Jennings.

Bit of pressure of "do it for the club's success - be a club man" never went astray with coaches. WB was the master of it.

Hooch

Juniors
I may be just a simple caveman, but I would imagine that technique would have more success before you sack someone as captain.