What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers v. Heels

If May stays. He should stay with Tago as they have a chemistry
To'o does with Crichton and he played Right in 2020
Teams will kick to To'o regardless to stop him having 1st hitup after the kick

That‘s a big no from me. Have we forgotten how much To’o improved when he moved to left wing last year? He sees more ball on that side and he’s the best kick returner in the game. To’o will build chemistry with Tago, but you don’t throw away what To’o achieved last year because of recency bias.

Also your last sentence doesn’t make sense. Did you mean to say teams will kick away from To’o?

Iamback

Coach
That‘s a big no from me. Have we forgotten how much To’o improved when he moved to left wing last year? He sees more ball on that side and he’s the best kick returner in the game. To’o will build chemistry with Tago, but you don’t throw away what To’o achieved last year because of recency bias.

Also your last sentence doesn’t make sense. Did you mean to say teams will kick away from To’o?

How much of it was general development though?

Crichton was also great on the left in 2020 yet he got moved because it was better for the team.

No teams will kick to him. He is shorter then most wingers so you have a contest in the air and he can't burn you with the run after the kick. That is our strength getting off our line

How much of it was general development though?

Crichton was also great on the left in 2020 yet he got moved because it was better for the team.

No teams will kick to him. He is shorter then most wingers so you have a contest in the air and he can't burn you with the run after the kick. That is our strength getting off our line

He became the best kick returner in the game in his third season, I don’t think that happens just from general improvement.

Why would you put the best kick returner on the wing that gets less kicks?

Teams will kick to To’o for bombs/short kicks, sure. But I’m talking about kicks from inside the opponents 40. Those downfield kicks mostly go to the left wing, because most kickers are right footed. That’s where To’o excels.

Last edited:
In 2020 To’o ran for 160m per game

in 2021 he improved that to 231m per game on the left wing

Now as well as Taylan May is playing, he’s only averaging 148m per game. This is less than both To’o and Mansour did on our left wing.

Taylan May staying on the left wing smacks of recency bias to me. To’o’s numbers on the left last year were insane, they were a huge part of our premiership. Throwing that away because of a few good games from May makes no sense.

Last edited:

chrisD

Coach
To'o to the right. Left side is going strong and should not be tinkered with. Right side is whatever and open to improvement. To'o can at the least make both sides meter crunchers. If they're fit To'o and Leota should both play the Eels to ease them back in and get them ready for the big game against the Storm.

To'o to the right. Left side is going strong and should not be tinkered with. Right side is whatever and open to improvement. To'o can at the least make both sides meter crunchers. If they're fit To'o and Leota should both play the Eels to ease them back in and get them ready for the big game against the Storm.

To’o just won’t make the same meters on the right, nowhere near it. Just don’t get enough ball.

I’m really surprised at these opinions, I know fans tend towards recency bias but this one really surprised me.

Iamback

Coach
Martin is playing out of position
Crichton is a left centre playing on the right
To'o possibly won't be as good on the right but for Tago it is the best decision

To'o still averaged 175m on the right. That is a vast improvement over Staines input..

Assuming Staines misses out that is

Smug Panther

First Grade
Martin is playing out of position
Crichton is a left centre playing on the right
To'o possibly won't be as good on the right but for Tago it is the best decision

To'o still averaged 175m on the right. That is a vast improvement over Staines input..

Assuming Staines misses out that is
Critter is better on the right or was before this year

Copperhead

Juniors
To’o just won’t make the same meters on the right, nowhere near it. Just don’t get enough ball.

I’m really surprised at these opinions, I know fans tend towards recency bias but this one really surprised me.
We think it because Tago and May have a connection and an understanding. That partnership shouldn't be broken up. To'o has played on the right, and played outside Crichton. That seems like the least disruption. Also before his injury To'o wasn't his old self, averaging only 143m in the first two rounds vs May's 172m in the next six according to NRL.com.

chrisD

Coach

There's just very little to anything to gain by changing the left. You want to change the left so that they will make more meters? Really? Like they're not making enough? It's working very well, leave it be. The right is where we could use improvement and To'o may be capable of providing it.

Iamback

Coach
Critter is better on the right or was before this year

In some areas. Defence is better on the right but that could be him getting older and also was on the wing last year which means less missed tackles.

Metres gained is more but in 61 games he has scored 34 tries. Half of those are from the one year he played on the left

7 try assists on the left
159 of his 290 career kicking metres are on the left
18 of his career 27 linebreaks from the left

He got the ball 14.5 times a game in 2020
19.2 times now which cancels out the extra metres

Really is only defence being better on the left but he is older and Cleary is better than Luai in defence

Smug Panther

First Grade
In some areas. Defence is better on the right but that could be him getting older and also was on the wing last year which means less missed tackles.

Metres gained is more but in 61 games he has scored 34 tries. Half of those are from the one year he played on the left

7 try assists on the left
159 of his 290 career kicking metres are on the left
18 of his career 27 linebreaks from the left

He got the ball 14.5 times a game in 2020
19.2 times now which cancels out the extra metres

Really is only defence being better on the left but he is older and Cleary is better than Luai in defence
My view might be biased towards the right from comparing him to the big black hole that was Momo.

Iamback

Coach
My view might be biased towards the right from comparing him to the big black hole that was Momo.

The season before that was a mess on the right too.

As I said the side is better with Crichton on the left but he should be on the left to get best from him

betcats

Referee
If we go with May and Bizza on the wings i would switch May to the right, I think both May and Tago would benefit defensively from having and experienced partner in the wing/centre combo, I get that Tago and May have played together a bit but they will adjust quickly to playing with critta and bizza.

murraymob

Coach
The big X factor may well be the heat of Darwin and how much it will drain them .stay with them and we get them on the end of the game