1. LeagueUnlimited.com is proud to launch a brand new weekly publication - The Front Row - to accompany your footy weekend. INCLUDES team lists, match previews, match reports, key stats and news from around the National Rugby League - 32 pages and packed full. EDITION 1 - OUT NOW! JUST CLICK HERE TO READ ONLINE OR DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE PDF COPY.
    Dismiss Notice

Parra Eels Canterbury Cup Team

Discussion in 'Parramatta Eels' started by emjaycee, Aug 2, 2014.

1. hindy111

hindy111 Immortal

I like the look of that side

Poupou Escobar likes this.
  2. Forty20

Forty20 First Grade

It was relatively low strength sides from both Parramatta and Manly/Blacktown but it was easily the most polished trial performance I have seen from the Eels in this grade so I guess cautious optimism is advised.

The two young bookends in Hollis and Hughes didn't look out of their depth which was very encouraging and quite a few other young players impressed.

@Gronk, the club did part ways with Rip Taylor and installed Ryan Carr as the head coach for the Canterbury Cup. He also has a number of responsibilities in the NRL roster so he is pretty dialled in with the needs/goals of both squads.

3. hineyrulz

hineyrulz Post Whore

Where the hell you been @Forty20????

Good to see you back champion!!

4. Forty20

Forty20 First Grade

If my absence from posting has taught me anything it is that I can be far too prone to simply lurking. Good to break the habit though!

5. hindy111

hindy111 Immortal

Hey 40/20. Where do you see Hughes and Hollis. Would they be first grade potenial in 2021? And in your opinion how would you rank those two along with Oregon if where to put in order of potential or where you think their careers will end up.

6. hindy111

hindy111 Immortal

Your my top 5 poster along with Stagger Eel.

7. Forty20

Forty20 First Grade

I think somewhere between 12-24 months would be a reasonable projection for both of them. If they can stay healthy this year and put together a strong combined showing in the Jersey Flegg and Canterbury Cup then you could conceivably see them slot in at the backend of the prop rotation next year.

As it stands we have three long term fixtures at prop in first-grade currently in Junior, RCG and Kaufusi while Alvaro is a solid rotational guy. Evans is a free agent and Gower probably hangs up the boots so depending on how recruitment goes maybe we call upon them on the shorter side of that projection.

Right now I would slate both as first-graders with upside - which is a terribly safe guess I realise. While neither are freak athletes in the vein of Payne Haas (how many players are though?), they are both built well for the front-row and have been quality performers at each level in the juniors.

We likely learn a lot about them this season though. Hollis has the Klemmer-esque build, can he find a similar level of aggression to the Newcastle star? Hughes is lighter on his feet than Hollis, how much of a weapon can that be for him in attack? If they can harness those sort of things then you start tapping into the upside part of the equation.

They probably rate similar to Oregon overall. All three possess prototypical size and athleticism for the modern front-rower. Hughes is definitely closer to the play-style of Oregon in my opinion.

Joshuatheeel, strider and hineyrulz like this.
  8. hindy111

hindy111 Immortal

Thanks 40.
    I look forward to seeing how these 3 develop along with Stefano. Was a few rumours he may backflip which I feel would be harsh on the Tigers. But wish him the best.

9. I'm a loser baby...

I'm a loser baby... Referee

How big is Oregon?

10. Forty20

Forty20 First Grade

Oregon is currently billed at 188cm/114kg but I feel like he might have been listed as taller in the past. The official metrics in the player profiles can be quite nebulous.

In comparison, unofficially Hollis ranks in roughly at ~196cm/110kg with Hughes is a tad shorter but slightly heavier at ~193cm/112kg.

I'm a loser baby... likes this.
  11. I'm a loser baby...

FFS!!

Good to have you back, mate.

strider likes this.
  12. strider

strider Post Whore

Dude! ... wrong answer ... get yourself to wikipedia now :wink:

Always love your work

13. Barry O'Speedwagon

Barry O'Speedwagon Coach

Nuthin that a couple of Sudafed before kick-off cant fix. Or getting the pigs slapping each other in the fact a la Roy Masters, Dallas and Bob Cooper.

14. Gronk

Gronk Moderator Staff Member

Have you seen his trunk ?

15. I'm a loser baby...

Morgs-like?

16. hindy111

hindy111 Immortal

Question.
    Parra has a top 30. At best that leaves 13 players for NSW cup. Most likely you will always have 2 - 5 guys out across the first grade and New cup side.
    That means most weeks you would need to call up 6 - 11 players. Where do these guys come from?

17. Stagger eel

Stagger eel Moderator Staff Member

There will be a second tier squad of up to 12 players ...most are already signed.

Makahesi Makatoa - Featherstone
    Brad Keighran - Wenty
    Eli El Zarkham - Dogs
    Alan Fitzgibbon - penrith
    PJ Vaigualu - Parra nyc
    Micheal Cheer - Parra nyc

Are a few players part of that squad

hindy111 and Gazzamatta like this.
  18. hindy111

hindy111 Immortal

And where will they play when not needed?

19. Stagger eel

Also west’s tigers CC player of the year Watson Heleta is part of our D6 squad..

Mr Naps and Gazzamatta like this.
  20. Stagger eel

Guildford and Wenty RM cup I believe..