What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra team for the Lee Hopkins shield.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Mortimer at 6

First time I saw him I thought he as a natural ball runner

I would have put Williams on the bench, sent wagon to wenty and given wellar a shot at starting.

Fui can Start and has before, he just isn't as Dynamic, Wellar or Oak, or Junior Need to Fill that Roll now. As for Wagon, I guess we will see, but he has not been setting the world on fire that is true, but with Chad there, and without timmy, we need someone in the back row.

dazeely

First Grade
Fingers crossed all 5 boys are able to back up from City Country match.

18. Kristopher KEATING (standby for Finch or Mateo)
19. Todd LOWRIE (standby for Hindy or Chad)

Not sure of whom would be on standby for Hayne though? Whom would be the back on standby?

Ant

Juniors
I would have put Williams on the bench, sent wagon to wenty and given wellar a shot at starting.

The most disappointing thing, to me, about this side is that I have a strong recollection that Hagan that he was quoted after the nth qld loss as saying players were underperforming, and if things didnt change, there'd be changes? I'd be happy to be corrected on that if I'm wrong, but here we are, two disappointing efforts at HOME following that Cowboys match and no real changes....

Perhaps we needed another bye to give hagan another week to get a clue seeing as he said himself he couldnt face up if we didnt have that bye last week.....

But doesn't this whole idea smack of hypocracy. Weller has been poor this year, in fact of our regular forwards I would probably rate him as the least impressive. Yet you are looking to promote him over another player. I actually thought Wagon went a lot better against Manly, and he needed to because he was poor against the cowboys.

Same goes with williams he can't show consistent form even in one whole game at a lower level but deserves promotion.

It really annoys me when people guys who are not performing particularly well in lower grades to be promoted, its only a history of dislike for certain first graders that inspires this. This bias is thankfully not what the coaching staff follow in their selections, on his Manly performance and with the injuries around and the lack of strong competition there is no way I would drop wagon.

I would have thought Weller Hauraki's or Junior Paulo's play this season would have been enough to put off people who champion lower grade players, because he has been poor. Junior has at least made some damaging runs. But both of them are too slow and lazy around the ruck. Its the little things that keep wagon in the nrl. Its the little things that have caused us so many problems this year.

fish eel

Immortal
But doesn't this whole idea smack of hypocracy. Weller has been poor this year, in fact of our regular forwards I would probably rate him as the least impressive. Yet you are looking to promote him over another player. I actually thought Wagon went a lot better against Manly, and he needed to because he was poor against the cowboys.

Yeah, thats a far enough point, but i'd be willing to see how wellar went starting if it was in the place of wagon, who offers very little.

Same goes with williams he can't show consistent form even in one whole game at a lower level but deserves promotion.

as has been said, the very same arguments were made about feleti mateo

It really annoys me when people guys who are not performing particularly well in lower grades to be promoted, its only a history of dislike for certain first graders that inspires this.

It really annoys me, when, three weeks in a row, my football team turns in limp, uninspired losing efforts and are rewarded with selection for the following match.

This bias is thankfully not what the coaching staff follow in their selections, on his Manly performance and with the injuries around and the lack of strong competition there is no way I would drop wagon.

there arent too many back row injuries, but we are talking about the same coaching staff, and specifically head coach, who said after the manly game he was looking forward to the week off because he wouldnt be able to face up again?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
The fact is Tony Williams has more potential and ability then half of the first grade side on Sat night, simple, people can piss and moan about he being good for 20 mins but the bottom line is he's a match winner, would provide more then Reddy, Wagon etc and i bet his 20 min stints are more worthwhile then Wagon, Lowries etc 80 minutes first grade stints.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Much as I love the club, I'd hate to be playing for it, with fans willing to cricify you like this.

bartman

Immortal
We are seriously down on options at the minute, due to form, injuries, and the potential of rep players not backing up.

Not having seen how other guys are going in Prems, I can understand if they aren't making the case for selection, or grabbing the opportunity of the poor form shown by first grade to impress and earn a spot, then we shouldn't promote kids just on the basis that they might be good and lift their game if selected for firsts...

It's not a good situation to be in for the club, and I expected more from guys like Weller, Paulo, Wagon etc and indeed the whole forward pack this season and it is yet to eventuate. If for some reason they don't want to play for each other (which seems the case?) as much as it seemed the team did in previous seasons, then you can promote anybody in and it still won't make much of a difference.

No one player is the saviour or the root cause of the problems, it seems to shift around each week and no-one is immune from a poor game, and too few producing barnstorming performances together in any one week.

fish eel

Immortal
We are seriously down on options at the minute, due to form, injuries, and the potential of rep players not backing up.

Not having seen how other guys are going in Prems,
I can understand if they aren't making the case for selection, or grabbing the opportunity of the poor form shown by first grade to impress and earn a spot, then we shouldn't promote kids just on the basis that they might be good and lift their game if selected for firsts...

It's not a good situation to be in for the club, and I expected more from guys like Weller, Paulo, Wagon etc and indeed the whole forward pack this season and it is yet to eventuate. If for some reason they don't want to play for each other (which seems the case?) as much as it seemed the team did in previous seasons, then you can promote anybody in and it still won't make much of a difference.

No one player is the saviour or the root cause of the problems, it seems to shift around each week and no-one is immune from a poor game, and too few producing barnstorming performances together in any one week.

our nyc side is top of the table i think and wenty are 4th

Hellsy

Immortal
He's coming off injury, has not been playing alot of game time.. and in that time has not been playing that well. TBH.
But if he gets over injury and gets game time up give him a go for sure :thumb:

bartman

Immortal
our nyc side is top of the table i think and wenty are 4th
Fair enough.

But I meant not knowing about the individual players and how they are travelling in that, especially the forwards. Still if no-one is standing out, the good table positions are no justification alone for individual promotions.

Fathead

Bench
Its the -
" Billy dont do that or Ill smack you"
" Billy I WILL smack you if you do that again"
" Billy this time I mean it"
" I will smack you if you do that again"
" Billy THIS time I mean it"
... " Ok Billy I dont care what you do"
(To all the fathers out there who know what I mean)

You cannot have a coach come out with threats about changing the team if they dont perform and then continue to pick the same team despite the same sort of disappointing performance.
There must come a time when you do what you mean, if you are not prepared to do what you mean your threats become meaningless. If you have no intention of dropping players, dont threaten them with the sack.

I applaud South Sydney - They are so desperate for a win they would do anything - but they wont compromise on what they say.
This is the threat fellas - whats that ? Dont Believe me ? ... welcome to reserve grade.

I personally would have rather had a team full of blokes who want to play and are beaten than a team full of blokes that are disinterested and out of form.
Playing NRL for Parramatta is not a right. Its a reward for hard work and persistance and should be open for ANY player who works hard enough for it.

Stagger eel

Staff member
there really is an incredible amount of straw grasping when it comes to choosing the side, why do some of us appear certain that a 19 year old who's work rate in the nYC rivals Fui's first firatgrade match, a certain solution to our problem?

the simple reason why blokes like Lowrie and Wagon continue to get picked in the side is because we simply don't have the depth to call on anyone better whilst most of the talented NYC team a simply not ready to take the step up.

There's no easy solution to this other hope that certain players don't get injured and our younger players start finding an extra leg.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I wonder if Hagan thinks these blokes can just turn up and play, cause for the last 4 weeks, its been the same old side and the same old p1ss week attitude. Add to that we've surprisingly got 5 players backing up in the City/Country match.

I really cant see us going anywhere, unless a change in attitude.