What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta - A Cautionary Tale

BennyV

Referee
We need one of your hookers. Who is better Rein or King ? Serious question.

Haha you could split Dragons fans over this! Basically, you'd be hard pushed pulling either of them, Dragons have said re-signing Rein is a top priority for next year. Both have different attributes in attack but are incredibly solid and hard working defenders and will have clubs sniffing around...

Avenger

Immortal
Haha you could split Dragons fans over this! Basically, you'd be hard pushed pulling either of them, Dragons have said re-signing Rein is a top priority for next year. Both have different attributes in attack but are incredibly solid and hard working defenders and will have clubs sniffing around...

We pay overs mate, we will get one.

Efresh

Coach
THere must be some really bag eggs in the Parra squad. I was sure Ricky would make them tough in defence even if he did nothing else. Getting belted by 50 in round 4 isn't a good sign, it looks like half the team have given up already.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Every 2 years could be the start of a rebuilding year................................

Mr Red

First Grade
grouch is speaking from an extreme point of view, i dont recall anyone saying the dragons needed wholesale changes..
i think the general consensus was that we have the basis of a strong team, all we need is a halfback and a right centre to be competitive.. using Parra as an example isnt really accurate in terms of where our club is and where the eels are at..
I also dont recall the eels signing any marquee players.. sandow is not one of those.

Minh

First Grade
Ricky Stewart has no faith in his playing roster is not a good sign but agree Parramatta have been reckless with their recruitment sounding out anyone and everyone 500-600k for Sandow or whatever it was and 300k plus for Justin Poore which was very big money at the time.

Mr Red

First Grade
Ricky Stewart has no faith in his playing roster is not a good sign but agree Parramatta have been reckless with their recruitment sounding out anyone and everyone 500-600k for Sandow or whatever it was and 300k plus for Justin Poore which was very big money at the time.

agree with this. it was not the recruitment of underperforming "marquee" players that has got them into trouble it was the paying overs for rubbish players .. as you have mentioned Justin Poore and Sandow..

big pat

Coach
Sack the CEO, sack the board, sack the coach, sign flashy "marquee" players, ignore quality local juniors.

Be careful what you wish for!

and some st george supporters wanted stuart to coach us, early days yet, but looks like we dodge a bullet there.

grouch

First Grade
grouch is speaking from an extreme point of view, i dont recall anyone saying the dragons needed wholesale changes..
Either a short memory or selective memory. The threads seem to appear after every loss.
using Parra as an example isnt really accurate in terms of where our club is and where the eels are at..
I also dont recall the eels signing any marquee players.. sandow is not one of those.
Parra is where we will be headed if the "change for changes sake" types get their way. Sandow was the definition of marquee - huge money, splashed over their advertising, dubbed the most important signing since Moses.

Mr Red

First Grade
. Sandow was the definition of marquee - huge money, splashed over their advertising, dubbed the most important signing since Moses.

no... Sandow was the eels definition of marquee, not the rule of thumb... and thats where the problem lies.

same as Doust calling Dant Hunt a marquee player... with that perception i agree we could become like the eels and start paying overs for underperforming players..

grouch

First Grade
Yeah. Oust Doust, and the board, and the coach and piss off local juniors like Hunt.

Marcus1979

Juniors
and some st george supporters wanted stuart to coach us, early days yet, but looks like we dodge a bullet there.

Stuart record at other clubs proves he is good the first season as he is fresh but then results progressively get worse and worse every season after that till he is either shown the door or he signs elsewhere.

Mr Red

First Grade
Yeah. Oust Doust, and the board, and the coach and piss off local juniors like Hunt.

i am interested in seeing the best possible Dragons team we can build under the salary cap.. its a bonus if the majority are local juniors as from a fans point of view it builds a closer bond with the team having seen the players come up through the ranks, but i wouldnt risk being less competitive purely to boast about having a team full of local juniors..

if i could recruit a better player for a position than what i have available in the junior ranks then so be it....and if this process becomes the norm, then that to me as a CEO of a club would indicate that i need to invest more into the junior ranks to try and turn the tide around so to speak.

BennyV

Referee
i am interested in seeing the best possible Dragons team we can build under the salary cap.. its a bonus if the majority are local juniors as from a fans point of view it builds a closer bond with the team having seen the players come up through the ranks, but i wouldnt risk being less competitive purely to boast about having a team full of local juniors..

if i could recruit a better player for a position than what i have available in the junior ranks then so be it....and if this process becomes the norm, then that to me as a CEO of a club would indicate that i need to invest more into the junior ranks to try and turn the tide around so to speak.

Confused, are you saying that Doust doesn't invest enough into our local juniors? Or are you referring to Parra?

Minh

First Grade
I hate bagging our players but Dan Hunt is not a marquee player, he is more like a Jon Green type player who played his role and I don't mind having him in the team but not on a big contract. Justin Poore was a much better player than Dan Hunt when he was with us. Dan Hunt has had his good games but has not done much really overall to be considered anywhere near marquee class.