What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta braced for anger

FUIFUI_MOIMOI

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,26015025-14823,00.html

Parramatta braced for anger

By Dean Ritchie | September 02, 2009 12:01am

THEY have been tagged the NRL's perennial chokers but Parramatta coach Daniel Anderson fears St George Illawarra will be one "angry'' football side this Friday night.

The Dragons have lost three successive games and are ready to be toppled as NRL minor premiers by the Bulldogs. Those defeats, coupled with a gruelling week in the media, have Anderson fearing a rampant Saints side in what should be a monumental match at Kogarah's Jubilee Oval.

"They will be angry,'' Anderson said. "You guys (the media) have stuck it to them for three days and I'm sure that will continue for another few days. I know St George Illawarra will be looking for redemption, as any proud club does.

"I don't fear them but I know they will be determined and looking to bounce back.But I think that is the best time to be playing them. How else are you going to know where you stand as a club? I think the most likely scenario is that we play them again the next week (in the finals). We'll know our way to the ground.

"I love coaching against Wayne (Bennett). I love going head to head with him. It's always a challenge.''

Parramatta have won seven games to cement a finals spot, although they will start $1.95 outsiders for the game - according to TAB Sportsbet - with the Dragons $1.85. There are fears, however, the Eels may run out of juice after such a hectic run of success.

"We haven't joined in the hype,'' Anderson said. "We have gone about our business professionally. We've been in the spotlight for a few weeks now and I don't see any signs that our players are reading their own press.

"You can't get ahead of yourself. It is session by session and game by game. That's what people will say (Parramatta's run is nearly over) and what people will feel, but we don't feel that way. We encourage them to eat and sleep well. In general, the players have kept their heads low.''

It was only three months ago that Parramatta were considered wooden spoon candidates. "I didn't fear the wooden spoon,'' Anderson said. "But at one stage I did think we had to start winning games when we were only two or three points above the bottom sides.''

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
WOW DA knows exactly how to get this team focused. He is looking at things so realistically and without a shred of arrogance.

_Johnsy

Referee
WOW DA knows exactly how to get this team focused. He is looking at things so realistically and without a shred of arrogance.

On current form Parra are specials. We have played like a pack of busteds over the past 3 weeks, inability to score points, defence leaking like a sieve, no heart at all in any of these 3 games.

Parramatta form team of the comp, flogging all comers for almost 2 months.

I have noticed one thing from a large number of Parra fans is the bizzare expectation that it will be a very close game on friday night, again based on current form they have to be kidding, Parra 13+.

Is this mindset a sign of the majority of eels fans belief, that they are just waiting for Parra to fall over ?

Last edited:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
On current form Parra are specials. We have played like a pack of busteds over the past 3 weeks, inability to score points, defence leaking like a sieve, no heart at all in any of these 3 games.

I have noticed one thing from a large number of Parra fans is the bizzare expectation that it will be a very close game on friday night, again based on current form they have to be kidding, Parra 13+.

Is this mindset a sign of the majority of eels fans belief, that they are just waiting for Parra to fall over ?

Copy and paste much?

Realistically, the Dragons are still the bench mark. If there was ever a game the Dragons are to turn their form around, its this game. Plus, Wayne Bennett is a champion and you never ever knock a champion.

Grail

Juniors

It is hard to maintain playing at such high intensity week in, week out. If it wasn't - then we'd have more teams getting big winning streaks. Every team in the competition (even the lowly placed ones), have it in them to put in a big performance and knock over the top teams, just like the top teams have it in them to put in a bad performance.

Saints are top of the ladder because they are a good team, it's difficult to see a good team turning it up two weeks in a row. Yes, they've lost 3 in a row, but they really didn't play THAT badly in the other two loses, but against Souths they played like reserve graders. Good clubs and good coaches don't let that go unanswered. I'm expecting this Friday to be a torrid affair. The Dragons' will have a point to prove - and whilst their season isn't on the line, this is their last chance to address form issues before the playoffs begin.

I'm hopeful that the Eels can win, yes they've been in good form - but every week it's a new game and the Dragons surely have the class to make this a contest and the Eels have it in them to also turn in a bad game.

We'll just wait and see. 7 days is a long time in footy.

Suitman

Post Whore
We only have to defend like we did against the Bulldogs, and we will win this game.

Suity

The Colonel

Immortal

Trying to talk us up, down or sideways won't help the Dragons poor form Johnsy nor will it change the current mindset. Friday night will be a hard game, like it or lump it..... just a shame Doust and his mates jumped on the Minor Premiership bandwagon so early.

bradeel

Juniors

Simple. If you have been a Parra fan for any reasonable number of years you know not to get too far ahead of yourselves. The side is going great guns at the moment but many of us have a similar lump in the back of our throats that Dragons fans will have in trying to work out how and when we'll fall over this season. I'm not being negative or cynical - I love what the team is doing at the moment and getting plenty of enjoyment out of the games, but I've seen it before and won't go into ANY game feeling cocky, let alone against the benchmark of the competition and a Wayne Bennett coached side. Talk your chances down all you like.

_Johnsy

Referee
I honestly cannot see how we are the benchmark atm, but that is subjective.

Here is another question for you guys,

It is almost assured we will play in the 1st week of the semi's.

Do both teams go full tilt this friday in an attempt to gain some confidence for next weeks game,
or do they hold a bit back not reveal too much and wait until next weeks game, in all honesty this weeks game does mean that much (gain confidence only), its next weeks game that is the big one.

IMO we'll hold a bit back and concentrate on defence, this is our priority coming into the finals.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

SDM

First Grade

Do both teams go full tilt this friday in an attempt to gain some confidence for next weeks game,
or do they hold a bit back not reveal too much and wait until next weeks game, in all honesty this weeks game does mean that much (gain confidence only), its next weeks game that is the big one.

IMO we'll hold a bit back and concentrate on defence, this is our priority coming into the finals.

Are you serious:lol:

We can still overtake a couple of teams with results, but no, we will just play at 80% and worry about next week. Jerkoff.

The Colonel

Immortal

It means the difference between us finishing eighth or possibly as high as fourth or fifth. Still plenty riding on the game and I'm more than certain your boys wouldn't like to finish with a fourth loss under the belt going into the finals.

SDM said:
Are you serious:lol:

We can still overtake a couple of teams with results, but no, we will just play at 80% and worry about next week. Jerkoff.

Johnsy isn't serious. He's just trying to cover for the possibility of a loss in saying that the game doesn't mean as much as we'd like to think it does.....

Last edited:

Grail

Juniors
Well Colonel, chances are next to nothing that we won't be able to finish as high as 4th, Melbourne's PD is too good for us (87 difference in their favor). But if other results go our way, 5th or 6th isn't out of our reach.

Got to go as hard as possible.

bradeel

Juniors
no way do they do anything less than go at 100%. All this notion of tapering off and strategising for another game on another day is very dangerous. If you are on a winning running don't flirt with good form or tempt fate by doing anything less than what has gotten you there in the first place. I would have thought the Dragons would be the first to agree with this after getting Minor Prem T-Shirts made up, losing a game that you "needed to lose", and not winning another game since.

Parra Steve

Juniors
Dragons can still win the minor premiership if dogs lose, I think thats enough motivation to win on friday night.

mickdo

Coach
In all honesty, given that we have now made the finals officially I wouldn't be surprised if we lost this game. The pressure is off us a little bit (yes, I realise positions within the 8 are still there to play for), and that kind of change in circumstances can change a teams momentum (just look at how St George dropped their bundle once they were so far out in front). Who knows.

Grail

Juniors
See, I wouldn't be surprised if we lost this, just because the Dragons are a damn good team. You sit at the top for as long as they have without being decent at playing footy.

The Colonel

Immortal
Well Colonel, chances are next to nothing that we won't be able to finish as high as 4th, Melbourne's PD is too good for us (87 difference in their favor). But if other results go our way, 5th or 6th isn't out of our reach.

Got to go as hard as possible.

4th is a pipedream but it is a possibility however slight.

mickdo said:
In all honesty, given that we have now made the finals officially I wouldn't be surprised if we lost this game. The pressure is off us a little bit (yes, I realise positions within the 8 are still there to play for), and that kind of change in circumstances can change a teams momentum (just look at how St George dropped their bundle once they were so far out in front). Who knows.

That worries me a little as well...... particularly given the "party atmosphere" that both Hindy and Morts talked about after last weeks game. Mind you I'm reasonably certain that given some of their other comments that DA won't let them.....

Grail

Juniors
Mortimer was talking about it being like a party with the house full of cheering fans.

The Colonel

Immortal
Mortimer was talking about it being like a party with the house full of cheering fans.

Certainly did. Hindy made mention of it in the Advertisers interview as well. I'm just worried that a few of the boys may take it as they've acheived something now and we can relax.......

Latest posts