What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eel Eric Grothe Jr told to find new home

diab0lik

Juniors
Parramatta Eel Eric Grothe Jr told to find new home

By Barry Toohey

THE boy who was born to be an Eel has finally done his dash at Parramatta, with coach Michael Hagan ready to show the inconsistent star the door. The Daily Telegraph can reveal that Eric Grothe Jr was told this week he is free to negotiate with rival clubs despite having a further two seasons to run on his contract.
Grothe's departure will complete a stunning fall from grace and end one of Parramatta's great family ties.
The move to cut Grothe comes little more than 12 months after he signed a new three-year deal with the club.
"We have spoken to his manager and basically told him if there is on option out there worth looking at, then we are happy for him to explore it," Hagan confirmed last night.
Grothe has not played in the top grade since early June when he was dumped to the NSW Cup competition.

Grothe's demotion followed a spate of defensive lapses that saw rival teams run in 14 tries down his wing during the opening 12 rounds of the competition.
The former Kangaroo and Origin winger has been linked to a couple of English Super League clubs including Wigan.
Hagan said the club was not trying to force Grothe out.
"Eric has a contract here for the next couple of years and we are happy to honour that," Hagan said.
"If he wants to stay, he can.
"All we have done is give him the option of having a look elsewhere and seeing what's out there and seeing if there is an opportunity for him."
Grothe hasn't had a look-in since round 12 despite the Eels' indifferent form in the NRL.
He has missed the past month with a chronic back injury.
Asked how a player could be re-signed for three years and then be on the outer 12 months later, Hagan said: "It's probably a combination of a few things.
"There were Eric's defensive problems earlier in the season and I don't think there is any doubt not having (centre) Ben Smith inside him like he did last season contributed to that.
"But the emergence of Joel Reddy and Taulima Tautai is another contributing factor."

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24214397-5006066,00.html

diab0lik

Juniors
i would like to see guru back with ben smith. i think he can still produce if benny is there to clean up

yy_cheng

Coach
If I was Eric who has no desire to play rep games and football is not his no. 1 priority, why look elsewhere. Why not just stay at Parra for the pay.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
Hagan said the club was not trying to force Grothe out.
"Eric has a contract here for the next couple of years and we are happy to honour that," Hagan said.
"If he wants to stay, he can.

Turn it up Hages, Im pretty sure he has realised he isn't wanted at the club. Guru isn't that dumb, surely.........or is he? :?

Cya Guru. Enjoy your musical career. That sure looks bright :roll:

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
he should've been told months ago. maybe we could've kept or signed someone if he found a club

yy_cheng

Coach
Not really. Hangs around Wenty for next year and in 2010, maybe Daniel will ressurrect his career

caylo

Bench
he should've been told months ago. maybe we could've kept or signed someone if he found a club

I think you will prob find that this was organised about a month ago (i would say) that if they could find a replacment he would be free to look else where. Expect wigan to sign him by the end of the week and us to pick up kafusi. While they say that it happend this week, you can only believe so much TBH

Stagger eel

Staff member
the irony in all this is that he's still a better winger than Tautai and is sitting on 99 matches.

if he signs else where and we don't have a ready made replacement than we're all entitled to blow up imo.

the irony in all this is that he's still a better winger than Tautai and is sitting on 99 matches.

if he signs else where and we don't have a ready made replacement than we're all entitled to blow up imo.

I think the staff will have a ready made replacement + I am sure you will agree there is a couple of younger players from wentworthville ready to make the step up, especially with a whole off season to prepare. I am glad parra are waking up to themselves and recognising that it is a business decision that needs to be made and not a history / relationship. It is the only way to be successful.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I think the staff will have a ready made replacement + I am sure you will agree there is a couple of younger players from wentworthville ready to make the step up, especially with a whole off season to prepare. I am glad parra are waking up to themselves and recognising that it is a business decision that needs to be made and not a history / relationship. It is the only way to be successful.

so what your saying is we'll promote a Jono Wright or Iwi Hauraki who are both about 22 years old straight to the fulltime squad when they're already part of the second tier squad??

why promote and upgrade contracts to players who haven't proven anything as yet?...

yeah smart move :roll:

anything less than a Amos Roberts or a Matt Utai or a forward with a vast experiance in first grade would be a disgrace imo..

eel01s

Bench
Come on Stagger, Matt Utai? I hope we don't even entertain the though of even considering him.

We need to decent prop, we surely have enough depth in the wing position (even if Hagan persists in using Tautai and Williams, who are not wingers).

Stagger eel

Staff member
Come on Stagger, Matt Utai? I hope we don't even entertain the though of even considering him.

We need to decent prop, we surely have enough depth in the wing position (even if Hagan persists in using Tautai and Williams, who are not wingers).

I purely used him as an example, I know what we need but are the coaching staff looking at a replacement or are we just letting blokes go and sacrifising depth for the sake of it?

Latest posts