What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eel Eric Grothe Jr told to find new home

caylo

Bench
Bigfella Tautai and T.Williams may havebeen poor in parts but not as bad as Grothe was early in the season. I am yet to see Tautai throw a pass closer to an opposition player then a team mate. While he isn't as quick, he runs hard, is making more meters than grothe was and is a better front on defender. He is playing in a position that he is not used to and he does have problems finishing, but may have turned the corner in that sence.

Tony Williams is not a winger but I would expect Etu, Wright and Iwi to be ahead of Grothe at this stage. Guys like Nasso, Gardner (plus the other u20 winger) have all shown promise. Time to let go of Grothe, who is a bigger waste of money than Cayless (who people love to complain about).

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
I'd love dave williams to come back home. He is a top player, who gives 110% each week, body on the line and never gives up. Something a few wingers in this club lack

Gronk

Staff member
Many employment contracts are performance based (sales or productivity). Maybe NRL contracts should also require the player to put in and produce results?

Ryan

Juniors
I'd love dave williams to come back home. He is a top player, who gives 110% each week, body on the line and never gives up. Something a few wingers in this club lack

Mate - did you see the article in Big League I think it was where he stated how sad he was to have to leave Parra. He suggested he would have liked to play his whole career there (The reason I remember this is that I wasn't happy as a Manly fan reading it). Hang on, I'll try and find it:-

Ryan

Juniors
Nah, can't find it lads...I'll look it up and tell you all the edition etc....my Parra (yuck ! Hehehehe) supporting work mate showed me - of coarse !
He is the most one eyed Parra fan in history.

caylo

Bench
Many employment contracts are performance based (sales or productivity). Maybe NRL contracts should also require the player to put in and produce results?

I agree with you that not performing should be a good reason to sack a player, but if they did that two things would happen

1) this would have to be off-set by a larger salary (because it wouldnt be assured)

2) more players would leave off shore for stability.

I wouldn't blame a player for refusing to sign a contract with those sorts of conditions, it would just be to easy to let players go (in terms of Erics situation). Eric is assured 250K no matter where he goes, if a club only wants to pay 150-200K we would have to fork out the difference. This is the players benifit, while the club does this knowing that they can almost ask anything of the player and if he refuses to do so then he can/would get sacked (i.e Carney).

If we give the clubs to much power, the players will leave because clubs are run like businesses these days, and have no understanding of the word loyalty (in general)

Stagger eel

Staff member
Ryan, Dave's dad is involved at the club in some capacity and Dave himself has been seen at a few Wenty games also, I actually spoke to him 2 days after the Manly V Parra game and he was geeing me up deluxe about the result..

he is still a Parra boy at heart.

Bigfella

Coach

And if you singled out one bloke, who although he was no doubt making some howling errors at times, was actually working a fair bit harder off the field than most if not all of his colleagues, it would be a bit controversial.

We may have had 4 players by the end of Origin!

Hanscholo

Bench
What a rediculous situation. Showing a gifted footballer the door because he has a tendancy to run in on attackers. Isnt that watch the coach is there to do? Change that type of behaivour. If you cant make a talent like grothe into a good player, what hope is there for anyone

Bazal

Post Whore
What a rediculous situation. Showing a gifted footballer the door because he has a tendancy to run in on attackers. Isnt that watch the coach is there to do? Change that type of behaivour. If you cant make a talent like grothe into a good player, what hope is there for anyone

I agree to a point, Hagan has shown he has no idea how to get the best out of Eric like Smithy did and to me this smacks of him giving up. I'd personally prefer we kept him on, IMO Tautai has done a lot worse than Eric but seems to have cemented a spot. I'd rather Eric in first grade. BUT...if letting Eric go secures Kaufusi, and lets us keep Fui as well, then I guess it's for the best. As much as I like Eric as a player, we need punch up front, and if he's the man that we have to let go to get it, then so be it.

Although a part of me would love for Eric to tell Hagan to jam it, and see what he could do under Anderson in 2010 if we sign him on...:p

El Diablo

Post Whore

Grothe has been doing it since the year dot. Smith, Stuart and Hagan seem to have all tried and failed to get him to stop. i don't think Grothe will ever change

he has always had brain explosions for as long as i can remember too. silly offloads in our own 20 to no one that have resulted in many an opposition try

Eels Dude

Coach

What happens if they get injured though? We talk about a lack of loyalty in the game, that is only going to make things much worse.

I'd like to keep Grothe, he was poor earlier in the season but Tautai hasn't exactly stood up and demanded a first grade spot. Grothe at his best and twice as good as Tautai at his best, it's just a matter of him finding that form again. He hasn't really had a chance to redeem himself. Losing Williams takes away depth in the backline also, despite the fact I agree he's not a winger. Reddy has been great this yr, but i'd like to see him back it up though. Ben Smith's injury problems are also a worry. Unless they've got a decent replacement in mind I can't see the logic in letting Grothe go. It's not like there's any decent forwards on the market we could invest in.

yy_cheng

Coach
What happens if they get injured though? We talk about a lack of loyalty in the game, that is only going to make things much worse.

I'd like to keep Grothe, he was poor earlier in the season but Tautai hasn't exactly stood up and demanded a first grade spot. Grothe at his best and twice as good as Tautai at his best, it's just a matter of him finding that form again. He hasn't really had a chance to redeem himself. Losing Williams takes away depth in the backline also, despite the fact I agree he's not a winger. Reddy has been great this yr, but i'd like to see him back it up though. Ben Smith's injury problems are also a worry. Unless they've got a decent replacement in mind I can't see the logic in letting Grothe go. It's not like there's any decent forwards on the market we could invest in.

I think he's planning to invest in Drew

forward pass

Coach
This is a poor, poor, poor reflection on our coaching staff. They are basically saying that Eric has problems with his game but we really can't fix them. Let's pass the problem to someone else.

F**k that is so shortsighted and lazy imo. He has a bloody good player inside him somewhere, he just needs a decent coach to bring it out.

Glad I don't treat my staff like that.

fish eel

Immortal
This is a poor, poor, poor reflection on our coaching staff. They are basically saying that Eric has problems with his game but we really can't fix them. Let's pass the problem to someone else.

F**k that is so shortsighted and lazy imo. He has a bloody good player inside him somewhere, he just needs a decent coach to bring it out.

What if Eric doesnt have the desire to work on his problems?

El Diablo

Post Whore

no coach Eric has had has been able to fix his problems

fish eel

Immortal
Eric has regressed as a footballer over the last 2 years, and some of his off field antics, like the Kangaroos debacle, and not fronting for his city medical that time because he had a big night, really call into question IMO his desire.

I dont know how hard he has been training. But if his heart isnt really in it, what can any coach do?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I think Fishy has nailed it in one, Eric has all the talent in the world. But i think his heart just isn't in footy, he plays footy because it pays the bills and he is good at it. If we can get Kaufusi and lose Eric i think the decision will be justified.

parra.letic

Juniors
People have been saying how bad Tautai and Williams have been and how they have been worse than Grothe (Which makes me :lol::lol:)...ask yourselves how bad Eric must have been going if he couldnt even force one of those 2 rookies, playing out of position off the wing in 1sts!

Besides i believe we have the backs fairly well covered for next season anyway

Hayne,Burt,Inu,Smith,Reddy,Etu,Tautai,Wright,Hauraki

Yes sign Kaufusi but we need some depth in the halves desperatly!!

Latest posts