What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Centre of Excellence Build

84 Baby

Referee
When this COE was first announced it was said to be a $40m project, but now they are saying it is $60m project.

What has happened? Have budgets blown out or have we been given more cash to do it bigger and better?

I love the walkway in that below picture. I hope it is part of the final plans.

210311_Parramatta-Eels-Hero.jpg
Budgets on design rendering probably blowing out in an effort to sell the idea to simpletons

Gronk

Staff member
^^^^ I thought we were going it alone. Now it seems that we have backed down and the NSW Gov are chipping in. This means that it is no longer a private facility and has to be shared with the community. Unsure why it’s taken this long to work it out beacuse Souths, Waratahs, Tigers, Manly etc have all built theirs.

Chipmunk

Coach
^^^^ I thought we were going it alone. Now it seems that we have backed down and the NSW Gov are chipping in. This means that it is no longer a private facility and has to be shared with the community. Unsure why it’s taken this long to work it out beacuse Souths, Waratahs, Tigers, Manly etc have all built theirs.
It was never going to be a private facility anyway, as it had already received Federal funding.

Manly got their Federal grant to build theirs in 2013 as an election commitment from Abbott..it took a while.

Tigers is also Federally funded, election commitment for Reid. I don't believe Souths got Fed money, funnily enough Federal Labor seat

Interestingly the NSW Government put in more money than the ACT Government for the Raiders one.

The Broncos got two Federal grants to build some things.

The Cowboys got both the ground and the Centre of Excellence from the Feds....helped with Herbert being the most marginal electorate in the country.

The Dolphins also got some Fed money too recently, Petrie is marginal at times.

Last edited:

Delboy

First Grade
Was always dependent on govt inclusion, delay was due to the whole ground being unavailable for the permanent COE as a lot of the space was taken up for equipment storage for the West Connex. The partnership was always 3 fold, Parra Eels , Hills Shire Council and NSW govt funding, that was the model from the outset

JokerEel

First Grade
So are all the other clubs centre excellence open to other sporting codes and the public or do our club like to get docked around like our home ground?

Chipmunk

Coach
So are all the other clubs centre excellence open to other sporting codes and the public or do our club like to get docked around like our home ground?
"open to the public" is not necessarily as it sounds. It doesn't mean that anyone in the public can just turn up and use all the facilities for free and in any manner that they like. It is up to the owner(s) of the facilities to decide, of which the Feds or NSW Government wouldn't be one, whom from the public can use the facilities and the manner in which they can be used. These facilities would just need to be "available to the public to use", which is again more semantics. For instance, the Parramatta district league would probably be considered the 'public' for this purpose.

I would imagine that you could also get around this 'available to the public' by having a small portion of the facility a showcase of the club that anyone can just walk in and see, maybe a display of the a lot of the memorabilia stuff that is already in the Leagues Club. You can even build a public gym in the facility.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
As long as we get to use it, it really doesn't matter who else in the community has access to it.