What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Juniors

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
who in our junior system is likely to be the next Brett Kenny or Jarryd Hayne?
Dylan Brown

Of the younger players, maybe the SG Ball fullback Tuipulotu, but he is 17 this year and only really a star at that level. When Hayne was 17 he was dominating reserve grade. Kenny played first grade a couple of months after his 19th birthday. I don't know how good he was at 17 but it must've been pretty good.

hindy111

Post Whore
Witt was almost 22 when he made his debut. Brown will probably still be 18 (and 9 months).

When Hayne debut in 2005 so 15 seasons ago there was still smaller players. And its why you had som many of these devastating 2nd rowers who would bust the line. Nowdays most players are 100kgs + I reckon it makes it much harder to debut at 18 these days then when Hayne did. 19 or 20 seems much safer physically

I'll add that Biondi-Odo playing Flegg while still eligible for SG Ball is impressive, but Dylan Brown dominated Flegg at 18 and then played quite well in reserve grade.

True.

You can look at it a few ways.
Brown played SG Ball of age and then went to Flegg.
BBO has completely missed SG Ball and straight to Flegg

Does that mean BBO is better than Brown at the same age.?
Or
Flegg have no halves what so ever..

I tend to belive Parra recruitment has been pretty ordinary for Flegg. No halves what so ever hence why BBO has been promoted.
Tipari is still recovering from a ACL injury. Tipari will be a great inclusion when he returns.

Flegg are lacking another quality centre.
Again Noel Akafolou is due back at some stage from a ACL injury and will add quality in that position. But in the mean time JP Norah has been playing there and is lacking in that position unfortunately. (Norah has only ever played fullback)

I also believe Flegg are missing a real quality prop as well.
I think Stefano might find himself back in Flegg when he returns from injury and maybe the same for Dunster when he returns also

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We actually have a few Flegg-eligible guys in the full time squad:

Brown
Dunster
Kaufusi
Parry
Salmon
Schneider (is he still training full time?)
Sutoikamanu

Plus Filia Utoikamanu if he’s allowed back onto the field.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So it would make sense if Flegg was full of 18 year olds. Does this mean the best Harold Matts players are in SG Ball? It might explain why the under 16s have only won half their games. It’s very un-Parramatta-like. But if it leads to more local talent in our NRL side that will be good, though also a bit un-Parramatta-like.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
True.

You can look at it a few ways.
Brown played SG Ball of age and then went to Flegg.
BBO has completely missed SG Ball and straight to Flegg

Brown played Ball the year he was turning 17, his birthday is after the comp finishes so technically he was playing SG Ball at 16. Then once he turned 17 he was eligible to play 20's, he never went back to SG ball the year he was turning 18, he was never "of age" in that competition. BBO missed last year with us and played for Townsville (I think, might've been Northern Pride) in the QRL equivalent of SG ball, the year he turned 17 he was playing in the 18's competition. Now that he's come down he's going to be full-time 20's the year he's turning 18, just like Brown has done.

Both have skipped their 2nd season of 18's to play 20's. Both played in the respective 18's competition at 17.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
So it would make sense if Flegg was full of 18 year olds. Does this mean the best Harold Matts players are in SG Ball? It might explain why the under 16s have only won half their games. It’s very un-Parramatta-like. But if it leads to more local talent in our NRL side that will be good, though also a bit un-Parramatta-like.

Nah our Harold Matts are comprised mostly of 16 year olds, they just aren't very good this year. There's 1 or 2 that've been playing well but compared to the talent since I've taken an interest (2015) this is the least talented. Wonder if that coincides with them being from the Parra district? As far as I can recall right now the only 2 that we've imported are Kylan Mafoa and Myles Martin who both played Andrew Johns cup this weekend, so presumably both would still have another year of 16's to go.

Our SG Ball team is mostly players in the year they're turning 17. I think out of the 17 that played souths 10 of them are eligible next year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Our SG Ball team is mostly players in the year they're turning 17. I think out of the 17 that played souths 10 of them are eligible next year.
These merkins were all in last year's Harold Matts grand final:

1. Tuipulotu
3. Penisini
4. Loizou
5. Komolafe
7. Arthur
10. Mauala
12. Mooney
16. Mataele (for Manly)
17. Taateo

So, as you say, it's a fairly young side.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
These merkins were all in last year's Harold Matts grand final:

1. Tuipulotu
3. Penisini
4. Loizou
5. Komolafe
7. Arthur
10. Mauala
12. Mooney
16. Mataele (for Manly)
17. Taateo

So, as you say, it's a fairly young side.

Also Kyle Leonard was a late inclusion at dummy half, he makes 10.

Brown played Ball the year he was turning 17, his birthday is after the comp finishes so technically he was playing SG Ball at 16. Then once he turned 17 he was eligible to play 20's, he never went back to SG ball the year he was turning 18, he was never "of age" in that competition. BBO missed last year with us and played for Townsville (I think, might've been Northern Pride) in the QRL equivalent of SG ball, the year he turned 17 he was playing in the 18's competition. Now that he's come down he's going to be full-time 20's the year he's turning 18, just like Brown has done.

Both have skipped their 2nd season of 18's to play 20's. Both played in the respective 18's competition at 17.

Sorry. My bad. Yes you're correct.