What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Juniors

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yep. Basically the players poached by the Eels from the junior clubs. Do you know how much they are available to play for the likes of the Rhinos or Wenty Magpies while they are in the Eels system? I assume we don't clash with their high school teams' schedules.

T-Boon

Coach
One of the beauties of having a fence between the NRL clubs and the youth RL players is that winning NRL football technique and play is almost anti what kids would want to be doing in playing RL.
RL players who are getting paid might be able to tolerate wrestling practice and fitness 8 hours out of 10 but some kid is going to not want anything to do with that.
The answer to the question "what age do you introduce kids to the dark arts" should be 19.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I refer to junior development as the elite chosen by the NRL clubs in whatever pathway system/structure they use.

Here's the thing, a draft may be able to work whilst also keeping the current structure in place. Teams can still cherrypick the kids they deem elite and run the competitions as they do. Then the kids that are leftover can be chosen by NRL run teams and go through the grades and at ages 19-21 they go into the draft. You're giving more kids an opportunity at higher level training, you're giving coaches, trainers etc an opportunity to coach higher skilled players

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
One of the beauties of having a fence between the NRL clubs and the youth RL players is that winning NRL football technique and play is almost anti what kids would want to be doing in playing RL.
RL players who are getting paid might be able to tolerate wrestling practice and fitness 8 hours out of 10 but some kid is going to not want anything to do with that.
The answer to the question "what age do you introduce kids to the dark arts" should be 19.
I think you are mixing up the kids playing community footy and those getting picked in the NRL development squads.

They are different, kids playing under 16’s in the local comp is different to the 16’s picked in the NRL matt sides.

The basic’s are the same and standards/training levels are different.

BTW, 19 is way to late.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Here's the thing, a draft may be able to work whilst also keeping the current structure in place. Teams can still cherrypick the kids they deem elite and run the competitions as they do. Then the kids that are leftover can be chosen by NRL run teams and go through the grades and at ages 19-21 they go into the draft. You're giving more kids an opportunity at higher level training, you're giving coaches, trainers etc an opportunity to coach higher skilled players
Do you mean keep the junior reps as is, but have a draft for players once they get to 19?

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Do you mean keep the junior reps as is, but have a draft for players once they get to 19?

Nah. In this scenario, which I don't think will or could work but people are so incessant on a draft, the set up stays exactly the same. Clubs have their elite programs as normal and have teams in the Johns, Matts, Daley, and Ball competitions. This group is not eligible for the draft.

Running parallel to these competitions the NRL/NSWRL/QRL set up some teams for the kids that've missed out. These kids once they turn 19 can elect to go into the draft and are able to nominate until the year they turn 21.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Nah. In this scenario, which I don't think will or could work but people are so incessant on a draft, the set up stays exactly the same. Clubs have their elite programs as normal and have teams in the Johns, Matts, Daley, and Ball competitions. This group is not eligible for the draft.

Running parallel to these competitions the NRL/NSWRL/QRL set up some teams for the kids that've missed out. These kids once they turn 19 can elect to go into the draft and are able to nominate until the year they turn 21.
I don't think a draft really means anything for clubs picking lower tier players. Choosing between a couple of blokes who might never play a game in the top grade is mostly a guessing game. It's players at the top level - kids who might step in and perform at NRL level while still in their teens - that a draft is designed for. Deciding between Penisini, Walsh and Walker as a first round pick is a real choice. Choosing between a couple of unremarkable SG Ball graduates really isn't.

84 Baby

Referee
What was on at Kellyville today? I presume junior juniors. Cause if it was even Harold Matts, they weren’t very sizeable

Gronk

Staff member
Dear mod,
Why bother having a forum dedicated to a particular thing when you don’t allow discussion of that particular thing?
If it helps, the TCT podcast said that we have a Matts, Ball and Tarsha Gale trial vs Raiders a week before Xmas, so I guess those 3 teams would be training hard for that weekend.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Blackburn looks like Mitch Reins son. Is he a hooker? A big crowd at Commbank Stadium for the announcement. Well done.

Gronk

Staff member
Blackburn looks like Mitch Reins son. Is he a hooker? A big crowd at Commbank Stadium for the announcement. Well done.
Did we pinch Blackburn from the Pennys ?

Gronk

Staff member
The Flegg draw is out.

They have 3 games at CBA stadium (ie, 3 grades on the day) The rest are at Ringrose. So the big days are vs Dragons, Raiders and Roosters.