What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Juniors

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
NSW v QLD: 50 best under-18 rugby league starsView attachment 63042
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...d/news-story/f1f82db8040a70e266f3cedd241653d1
According to this article we’ve unfortunately lost Michael Gabreal to the Dogs on a 3yr deal. The only Eels players to appear on the list are Charlie Guymer & Blaise Talagi.

That's a bugger we've lost Gabreal, he was 1 of 3 that really showed anything in the Matts this season. But it's right in line with our management of junior contracts since MON has been on-board.

Odd that Sanders isn't on the list, he's been good in Flegg this year and then when he played against players his own age in the u/18's city vs country he carved them up. Mustn't be managed by the right agent to get his name in the paper

hindy111

Post Whore
That's a bugger we've lost Gabreal, he was 1 of 3 that really showed anything in the Matts this season. But it's right in line with our management of junior contracts since MON has been on-board.

Odd that Sanders isn't on the list, he's been good in Flegg this year and then when he played against players his own age in the u/18's city vs country he carved them up. Mustn't be managed by the right agent to get his name in the paper

What's going on with our juniors? Seems like they are egetting picked off

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
What's going on with our juniors? Seems like they are egetting picked off

The processes we've put into place for contracts obviously isn't compatible with young players who likely have more desperate circumstances with regards to money and long term certainty.

I'm also not sure of the capability of our junior identification team, some players selected in the Matts squad this year were questionable. Have to see if they learn from their mistakes or push ahead with their type of identification.

hindy111

Post Whore
The processes we've put into place for contracts obviously isn't compatible with young players who likely have more desperate circumstances with regards to money and long term certainty.

I'm also not sure of the capability of our junior identification team, some players selected in the Matts squad this year were questionable. Have to see if they learn from their mistakes or push ahead with their type of identification.

I remember when our juniors won everything or where top 3 or 4. I can't remember our under 20s being in such a low spot on the ladder.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I remember when our juniors won everything or where top 3 or 4. I can't remember our under 20s being in such a low spot on the ladder.

It's very easy to win junior competitions, pick the biggest kids, play a simple game, and have a half back who is fast.

The days of us winning SG Ball and Jersey Flegg are likely over as we seem to be prioritising playing younger players in these grades than players of age. So far this year we've had: Arthur Miller-Stephen, Turoa Williams, Charlie Guymer, Jabriel Kalache, Lachlan Blackburn, Ethan Sanders, Larry Muagutitia, Nicholas Lenaz, Saxon Pryke, and Riley Lack all play Flegg throughout the year (some are mainstays, some are 1-gamers). Whether this is a good system I cannot comment as at the end of the day it takes 3-5 years before knowing if this process produces first grade players or not or if holding them back until they are of age is a better process.

I also have no idea what the age group of other SG Ball and Flegg squads are, for all I know the SG Ball team that won could've been made up of players a year younger.

emjaycee

Coach

Care to expand your thoughts re "questionable" selections (what do you mean by this?) and also, what 'type' are they targetting?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Big athletic players are better suited to chasing the collision. And yes, I agree.
At most positions you need big athletic players before you need any other quality. As the ruck speeds up you focus more on athletic and as it slows you prioritise big. But how many playmakers do you need on the field at once? It’s a skill that’s only used in attack, so it’s useless for half the game.

Gazzamatta

Coach
At most positions you need big athletic players before you need any other quality. As the ruck speeds up you focus more on athletic and as it slows you prioritise big. But how many playmakers do you need on the field at once? It’s a skill that’s only used in attack, so it’s useless for half the game.
There are skills other that playmakers or collision chasers. Speed, deception, intelligence, kicking, swerve, sidestep, ball handling etc.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
There are skills other that playmakers or collision chasers. Speed, deception, intelligence, kicking, swerve, sidestep, ball handling etc.
Speed is part of athleticism. It definitely helps chasing the collision. Aside from intelligence the rest of that stuff doesn’t help in defence, which you’ll agree is our weakness. It’s half the game ffs

T-Boon

Coach
I think the kids are aware our development between age 17 to 20 leaves a lot to be desired. It has been like that for decades.

Latest posts