What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels launch bid to poach Matt Scott from the North Queensland Cowboys

Pazza

First Grade
Imagine Hayne, hoppa and Sandow off the back of some good go forward! Sounds entertaining to watch.

caylo

Bench
So if we had the money would Scott be your first choice of players we should buy?

I think he would be a good start, there was mention that our pack needed to be more intimidating and Scott is by far the best prop in the game and would help Mannahs game. With guys like Terepo, Pauli Pauli and OHanlan coming through they will be helped so much with less pressure. Also probably means that Lussick can be used in the backrow if required, guys like Hayne, Sandow and Kelly would obviously love working of the back of his go forward.

DeanPay98

Juniors
Well if we got Scott and maybe Hock in 2014 (from what's been said elsewhere), then we'd have a pretty handy pack of: Scott, Mannah, Keating, Hock, Lussick, Harrison, Maitua, MoiMoi, Allgood together with Ben Smith (not sure when his contract is up), Ryan and all the young players coming through.

Bear in mind that we need a replacement for MoiMoi at some point and the pack needs renewal. A faster hooker is a priority as well.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Any club signing or re-signing star players before the salary cap for 2014 is finalised, takes a massive risk.

At the same time, clubs failing to re-sign their own stars due to waiting for salary cap confirmation face the risk of backlash from their fans.

oldmancraigy

Coach
So if we had the money would Scott be your first choice of players we should buy?

Well - given that only certain players are available, that narrows the equation somewhat.

Matt Scott being the best prop in the game, and prop being the most important 'forward' position (aside from hooker), 'yes'. [unless Cam Smith is available for 2014??]
600k of a $6m cap is the same as $430k of a $4.3m cap (by strict equivalence) - however I'd suggest that the variance isn't exactly equal when adding $1.7m to the equation (if indeed that is how much is added by 2014) [[ie, the guys who earn $70-100k now won't get any raise except to be brought up to the new minimum salary level]]

Bottom line: I don't think the money is as "unrealistic" as people suggest (given the probable rise of the cap to match the income the game now brings in). And that's suggesting that the money is in any way accurate.

One also needs to bear in mind that the Cowboys just gave Tamou $$$. Will they do the same with Scott? And if they DO, then have we just played them and made them spend $1m per season on 2 props?

Of realistic targets he would absolutely be, just behind re-signing Hayne.

is anyone else a little concerned that we are tossing money around left right and centre at new players but we still haven't re-signed hayne yet?

it seems to me they either know he's staying or they know he's going

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Don't worry Eeliminator. I'm sure we would have alone cash put aside for Hayne. We have lots of players coming off contract who we wont need to resign if we make some new signings.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Well - given that only certain players are available, that narrows the equation somewhat.

Matt Scott being the best prop in the game, and prop being the most important 'forward' position (aside from hooker), 'yes'. [unless Cam Smith is available for 2014??]
600k of a $6m cap is the same as $430k of a $4.3m cap (by strict equivalence) - however I'd suggest that the variance isn't exactly equal when adding $1.7m to the equation (if indeed that is how much is added by 2014) [[ie, the guys who earn $70-100k now won't get any raise except to be brought up to the new minimum salary level]]

Bottom line: I don't think the money is as "unrealistic" as people suggest (given the probable rise of the cap to match the income the game now brings in). And that's suggesting that the money is in any way accurate.

One also needs to bear in mind that the Cowboys just gave Tamou $$$. Will they do the same with Scott? And if they DO, then have we just played them and made them spend $1m per season on 2 props?

I agree - you can only buy whoever is on the market.

However, I share the views of someone like Wayne Bennett when it comes to making props one of your higher paid players. Whether it is $430K now or $600K under the new salary cap I think we need to strongly consider whether it is in our interest to do this.

I have seen lots of clubs be successful without the best front rowers running around. You just need serviceable big units that can get good metres - there are lots of players in this category. However, I have seen very few clubs be successful without a strong and cohesive 1,6,7 and 9.

I would prefer that we hold off on buying Scott right now. This will allow the NRL some time this year to sort out the salary cap so that we really know where we stand. This will also give us this year to evaluate how the 1,6,7 and 9 combine. If we lack cohesion again this year (and we cant develop players from lower grades) then this is where I would like to see us focus our recruitment efforts.

However, if we did end up getting him then I would be cheering as hard for him as anyone else. There is no doubting he is a great player.

strider

Post Whore
and where do we get the servicable big units from? we don't seem to be making them as readily atm ... u have to buy em and unfortunately that will cost a bit even for lesser ones

strider

Post Whore
Don't worry Eeliminator. I'm sure we would have alone cash put aside for Hayne. We have lots of players coming off contract who we wont need to resign if we make some new signings.

and don't forget the cap rise - so we'll have heaps more than any other club

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
and where do we get the servicable big units from? we don't seem to be making them as readily atm ... u have to buy em and unfortunately that will cost a bit even for lesser ones

True - but hopefully not $600K.

As great Scott is, there is a reason why the best props running around aren't amongst the top paid players in the game. Just a personal view of mine but I don't think we want to make a prop amongst our highest paid players.

For me we need to prioritise. Lack of go-forward is not the biggest issue our team has at the moment. We can get adequate go forward without Scott and save our pennies for where they are really needed.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
A lack of a decent number nine is our biggest problem.

Our biggest problem is our tontine-like defence which hopefully Ricky has been addressing in the off season.

However, I agree - the best recruitment we could make right now is a decent number nine. This has been the case for a couple of years.

jono

Juniors
Who was the last decent consistent hooker in our team? You almost have to go back to the days of Steve Edge. We've all been bleating for nearly 30 years how Sterling was our last great halfback but the hooker position has been almost as much a poisoned chalice