What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels' salary cap doesn't fit, shelling out more than $750,000 for departed

emjaycee

Coach
What 'problem' are we in for 2015? We have almost the same squad as this year, except all our young players will be a year older, stronger and more experienced.

As for this year, we were comfortably in the top eight before injury hit. We have better backs than most clubs. There's nothing wrong with our squad this year or next year, and in 2016 it will be even better.

We will have at least one extra player from outside the club in 2015.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Pssst - if the official club spokesperson gives the media information that is attributable to him/her in their official capacity, I don't think its called a leak mate. ;-)

He wouldn't know a leak if it woke him up in the middle of the night and saturated his sheets.

#WayTooEasy

Chipmunk

Coach
What 'problem' are we in for 2015? We have almost the same squad as this year, except all our young players will be a year older, stronger and more experienced.

As for this year, we were comfortably in the top eight before injury hit. We have better backs than most clubs. There's nothing wrong with our squad this year or next year, and in 2016 it will be even better.

From what I can read into it, we will have the same squad as this year, minus the players who have not been signed and are off contract, and will not be signing any others.

So we will have the same team as this year minus.

David Gower
Luke Kelly
Fui Fui
Joseph Paulo
Ken Sio
Ben Smith
Willie Tonga

I'd imagine we will play Morgan at left centre, Toutai will remain on the right wing and we will fill Gower and Joe Paulo's place with players currently playing for Wentworthville and our Under 20s. If we have signed Wicks I'm guessing we're hopeful that he can be a genuine first grade player also.

I doubt I will lose too much sleep over losing any of those players, but I guess it will really tests our depth next year with the lack of experience in the players we will be having to play once we get a few injuries and rest The Plane around Origin time.

Like this year and the few previous ones, it appears how well we go in 2015 is going to come down to how many games The Plane plays and how well he plays in those games.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
We are now using the f**kwit signing policy. The no dickhead policy didn't work.

We were thinking of having a similar policy at League Unlimited but obviously we have set the bar pretty low with our existing members

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
From what I can read into it, we will have the same squad as this year, minus the players who have not been signed and are off contract, and will not be signing any others.

So we will have the same team as this year minus.

David Gower
Luke Kelly
Fui Fui
Joseph Paulo
Ken Sio
Ben Smith
Willie Tonga

I'd imagine we will play Morgan at left centre, Toutai will remain on the right wing and we will fill Gower and Joe Paulo's place with players currently playing for Wentworthville and our Under 20s. If we have signed Wicks I'm guessing we're hopeful that he can be a genuine first grade player also.

I doubt I will lose too much sleep over losing any of those players, but I guess it will really tests our depth next year with the lack of experience in the players we will be having to play once we get a few injuries and rest The Plane around Origin time.

Like this year and the few previous ones, it appears how well we go in 2015 is going to come down to how many games The Plane plays and how well he plays in those games.

I reckon gower will be re-signed. Also reckon we will get a cheap back

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I reckon gower will be re-signed. Also reckon we will get a cheap back

We've already got plenty of cheap backs. These merkins are already contracted for next year:

Faraimo
Goodall
Hopoate
Morgan
Radradra
Toutai

If we need another cheap back there's also Folau and Lavaka off contract.

greena

Juniors
I still don't understand why we have cap problems in 2015.

The list of players in the article is supposedly taking up $750k on our cap this year, even know they are at other clubs, but from memory the Parra contracts ended this year so they should not impact the 2015 cap.

We will also lose Smith, Tonga, Moi Moi, and possibly Sio as well as a few of the underperformers in the 2nd tier/Wenty which should give us the opportunity sign a few lesser lights from other clubs, hopefully they give as much value as Gower.

Is it that Hayne, Sandow & Hoppa's contracts are all back ended in 2015?

Kornstar

Coach
Seward was on 2GB this afternoon and said it relates back 6 years.......who are we still paying from f**king 2009? Seriously?

He said it was not one persons problem but a collective. Considering we never signed anyone for longer than 3 years, i find it hard to believe that we would be paying for players who left 6 years ago when their contracts never ran that long anyways???

He reiterated that there would be no problems after next year and that essentially there will be more pain till 2016.......

Last edited by a moderator:

Chipmunk

Coach
I still don't understand why we have cap problems in 2015.

The list of players in the article is supposedly taking up $750k on our cap this year, even know they are at other clubs, but from memory the Parra contracts ended this year so they should not impact the 2015 cap.

We will also lose Smith, Tonga, Moi Moi, and possibly Sio as well as a few of the underperformers in the 2nd tier/Wenty which should give us the opportunity sign a few lesser lights from other clubs, hopefully they give as much value as Gower.

Is it that Hayne, Sandow & Hoppa's contracts are all back ended in 2015?

Someone has obviously F$%ked up our salary cap management with previous recruitment and retention. The CEO has said that we aren't in a position to really sign anyone at present, so we would have to believe that he has a better understanding of our salary cap situation than ourselves.

You would have to think that some kind of back-ended set up for those 3 players you have mentioned is causing us some issues, because like yourself I'm astounded that we could be near the Salary Cap for 2015.

Chipmunk

Coach
Seward was on 2GB this afternoon and said it relates back 6 years.......who are we still paying from f**king 2009? Seriously?

He said it was not one persons problem but a collective. Considering we never signed anyone for longer than 3 years, i find it hard to believe that we would be paying for players who left 6 years ago when their contracts never ran that long anyways???

He reiterated that there would be no problems after next year and that essentially there will be more pain till 2016.......

The Club has made some F$%ked up and dumb decisions in the past. I wouldnt put it past some muppet to have signed a player for 3 years but still be paying him 6 years later.

F$%k me dead. Useless f$%kers.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

FFS why do you simpletons need a scapegoat? It's obvious why we're still f**ked - as soon as you back-end a few contracts chasing a premiership you need to pay for it at some point by effectively spending less of your cap in a future year.

But with an endless coaching merry-go-round none of the incoming coaches want to be the one to pay the price, at least in their first couple of years, and so they also need to back-end contracts so that they can field sufficient playing talent.

The only way to get out of the rut is to fill your squad with cheap depth, which means retention of under 20s players. But if the players in that age group are all gash they're not going to help. You need to keep buying players from outside the club (paying overs) and back ending every new contract to fit them under the cap in their first year or two.

strider

Post Whore

surely he's just going on about the usual snowballs n such

i'm sure the new CEO and coach in 2016 will still be saying the same mumbo jumbo :?

wow. I can't wait for season 2015.

Suity

:lol:

well it is the last of the 5 years

Latest posts