What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels v NQ Cowboys - Match Thread - *Spoilers*

Utey

Coach
Iam very very very nervous about this one. Cant wait though. Just enjoying the ride as I expected to finish 6th. This is just a bonus.

Miss_Eels

Juniors
From what I've been reading our boys seem to be fired up and will most definitely be ready come Sunday. I can't see them being complacent in this case....mind you, I doubt it will be easy and I also doubt it'll be won by a big margin. Eels by 4 to 8

Bomber

Bench
Parramatta have everything to lose; all the pressure will be on them to live up to expectations - justifiably they are the favourites for this game, they didn't land into the minor premiers position through sheer luck.

There were glimpses of the 'Cowboys of old' last week, both good and bad. The tackling appeared to have improved a thousandfold since the previous week, and the Smith-Firman switch worked a treat.

My loyalities are obviously to North Queensland, and I think they will win by 6 points, in identical fashion to their win against the Storm - lead big early, let them back, then seal the deal close to time.

I will say this however - Parramatta have one more loss left in them this year. If not this week, then the next....

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I've gotta say I'll be dirty on the NRL if the Cowboys win their maiden premiership. Any team who has 50 put on them in a finals fixture, IMO, doesn't deserve a premiership.

nqboy

First Grade
dodge said:
I've gotta say I'll be dirty on the NRL if the Cowboys win their maiden premiership. Any team who has 50 put on them in a finals fixture, IMO, doesn't deserve a premiership.
Or you could say they had an off day and fought back magnificently after that. Dirty on the NRL? What's your solution?

The Colonel

Immortal
DINGb@T said:
Anyone know how many tickets have been sold for the game? Is it going to be a sell out?

Very unlikely they will sell out the stadium for this match. 35,000+ would be a healthy estimate.

Bomber

Bench

Yeah, that would be right. Give no credit to the players and the club at all.

I mean, if the Cowboys were to win it all they'll have to beat the minor premiers, and then overcome the pathological hatred of an entire state rooting for either the Dragons or the Tigers in the decider.

I mean, of course, Graham Murray designed the McIntyre system. He did use to teach maths in high school after all. Let's just forget that the Tigers pounded the Broncos in exactly the same fashion just a week later, and have scored 88 points to 12 in two matches, and something like 50-0 in the final twenty minutes of each match.

How about some people start giving the Cows some credit for finishing in the top four, and start thinking of them as potential grand finalists rather than 'the team that lost to Wests'.

As for conceding 50 points in a game - it's a terrible thing whenever it happens. You, Dodge, of all people, would know that better than most as a Bulldogs supporter. But do we just draw a line through a team when they concede 50?

If so, well:

- Cowboys have conceded 50 points twice this year
- Parra have conceded 50 points this year (Round 5 v Bris), and 49 points as well.

I guess that leaves St George Illawarra and Wests Tigers- but the Dragons have conceded 40 points on four occassions....once every six games. The Tigers have done the same on three seperate occassions.

Anyway, I guess we could argue this point until we turn blue

Oh, and another thing - the Roosters/Cowboys preliminary final at Telstra last year attracted over 43,000 spectators. If the Roosters are meant to be one of the smaller supporter groups in Sydney, then what does that say about Parra fans who struggle to attract 35,000?

sh*t, I don't give a damn. Keep writing us off. We love it.

The Colonel

Immortal
Bomber said:
Oh, and another thing - the Roosters/Cowboys preliminary final at Telstra last year attracted over 43,000 spectators. If the Roosters are meant to be one of the smaller supporter groups in Sydney, then what does that say about Parra fans who struggle to attract 35,000?

sh*t, I don't give a damn. Keep writing us off. We love it.

Who said we were struggling to get that many? I thought it was a healthy estimate. I do expect a lot more to turn up though.

Few are writing you off. It is a two horse race. If you don't give a damn why comment?

The Colonel

Immortal
nqboy said:
Check the posts, the Cowboys are almost friendless.

Do you think the Cowboys can win it? I do. Just because they expect you not to win doesn't mean a lot of others are expecting a diffrent result. It is the finals. This year more than ever the unexpected is expected. I want to see Parramatta win at as much as the next bloke but reality is they still have to turn up to do it.....

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
nqboy, people are saying left right and centre that the Eels shouldn't get complacent because the Cowpats still have a lot in them, despite that 44 point loss against the Wiggers.

Learn to read fruit loop.

nqboy

First Grade
Ah dodge, finally a bite.. I was feeling a bit left out.

And Colonel, yes, of course they can win. As others have noted, it's a two horse race, I'd reckon about 70/30 Parra's way. But 30% is plenty, we'll run with that.

walker smith

Juniors
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
i ma an eels fan
i like there style of play and there fans are very nice to hang out with
i think they can win this one if they shut down bowen. most of the other team is overated IMO williams (plenty of better wingers , not origin standard), sing (safe player - thats it) , thurston (not the best player in 05) , rauhihi (cat)

bring it on i say, big test for young tim smith, but im sure he can cope with it, i sure hope so i love the bloke

ur a little bastard who thinks hes clever and funny...but really you are a sad lonely neglected little dickhead who needs to cop a real big hiding!

mickdo

Coach
Bomber said:
Last year the Cowboys were flavour of the month and it was their first year in the finals, plus they hadn't lost by 50 only two weeks prior. This year all the bandwagoners are on the Tigers, and most tipsters are expecting NQ to get firmly dusted, so it would be hardly surprising if the crowd was smaller.