What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels veteran Reni Maitua takes aim at Matty Johns

Utey

Coach
MATTHEW Johns has lit the fuse for Parramatta's end-of-season flourish, with Eels veterans furious over his criticism of their form reversal since Steve Kearney's sacking.

Lock Reni Maitua yesterday slammed Johns - who has called upon Parramatta's senior players to take responsibility for Kearney's demise - for "talking crap".
"It's not fun when you're being constantly scrutinised in the media and you've got Matty Johns talking crap about the team every week.
"If he's got that big an opinion of us then he should come down to training and give us a hand.
"We've tried everything and it's a shame we are only just beginning to win without Steve (Kearney).
"I can understand some criticism because we were losing, but enough is enough.
"He's talking out of school and he's talking out of line.

"He seems to be having a dig at the senior players.
"If he wants to have a go then be a man and name names. Don't let a guy like Nathan Hindmarsh fall into that category.
"He's an inspiration for our team and it's starting to get under my skin and the rest of the boys when he constantly scrutinises the senior players."
It's the second time this season that Johns has raised the public ire of a senior player, with Tigers skipper Robbie Farah engaging in a memorable on-air debate with the NRL on Fox over criticism of Wests' forwards.
But Johns refused to back down from his opinion of Parramatta when contacted last night. But he did clarify that none of his criticisms were directed at Hindmarsh.
"Reni has got the right to defend his senior players and I fully appreciate that," Johns said. "I don't know the week-to-week politics of Parramatta or whether the players lost trust in Steve.
"But I have the right to stick up for Steve Kearney, who I believe is a fine man and a good coach.
"And as a commentator I have the right to an opinion.
"Already this season I've criticised the Tigers and I've criticised Newcastle - a club I played at for 10 seasons.
"I'm not picking on Parra, I'm just calling it as I see it.
"Good on Parramatta for turning things around.
"But like a lot of people, I've got to wonder where this form has been all season."
Maitua said the key to Parramatta's stunning about-face came four weeks ago, when the senior players approached Kearney to change the team's attack.
There were glimpses of improvement in losses to Canterbury and Manly.
But in the fortnight since Kearney's sacking the new style has sprouted wings to deliver boilover wins against Melbourne and Brisbane.
"It was about giving our halves more accountability and getting their hands on the ball," Maitua said.
"We probably should have recognised it earlier.
"We put something in place while Steve was here and now it's starting to work.
"We all loved Steve. We all think he's a great bloke.
"But unfortunately things didn't work out for him and the club moved on."
Maitua implored Johns to do likewise.
"I'm sick of hearing his comments every week."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...m-at-matty-johns/story-e6frexnr-1226442547391

Boom!

Gronk

Staff member
38 games was too early for the players to seek changes in attack.

If we win anytime in time in the next decade it will because of the strong foundations that Kearney built.

Can't you idiots understand that ?

EelsFan05

Bench
A well worded response by a senior member and leader within the team. Stuck up for the young blokes in the team and the most senior player without having to resort to petty mud throwing.

Further tid bits though about the players unrest with Kearney's game plan.

strider

Post Whore
38 games was too early for the players to seek changes in attack.

If we win anytime in time in the next decade it will because of the strong foundations that Kearney built.

Can't you idiots understand that ?

yeah i don't know what these merkins think - clearly nothing - fans are all just dumb merkins - except a few

Jubileeboy

First Grade
I wish someone would take aim at monkey Johns.
He is a self opinionated a**ehole. Good luck Parra.

TheParraboy

Staff member

"If he wants to have a go then be a man and name names. Don't let a guy like Nathan Hindmarsh fall into that category.
"He's an inspiration for our team and it's starting to get under my skin and the rest of the boys when he constantly scrutinises the senior players."

Matty Johns sounds like that fruitcake Pou Pou :lol:

the matty johns talks on Fox sports you would think he was the greatest player to ever play the game and never made a mistake in his life.
But we all know he is neither of those people.
I turn off when the pratt starts talking.

strider

Post Whore
i don't mind matty johns, at least he isn't a cliched fence sitter like most commentators

and i don't mind if he has a shot at our players .... there has clearly been an attitude problem much of this year - not just senior players, everyone .... the players need to own that to some extent - its not just them, but they need to put their hands up for some of it

but i think alot of this is just johns sticking up for his bum chum from his melbourne days here ... and I can see exactly what reni is getting at .... its easy for some merkin commentator to take aim at "senoir players" and never name names - they don't name names cos they don't f'n know and they are scared to get on someone's bad side by bagging them publicly, so they aim at the group to avoid trouble

jono

Juniors
But let's face it , the team HAS been absolute shit-awful this year,but I doagree that Johns' vitriol seems to be agenda-driven.
Whatever the reason , if the result is what has happended over the past two weeks,
I say , more please!
Good onya Reni , more and more I think this guy HAS to be our next captain.
Reni holding up the Telstra Cup in 14 months' time , wouldn't that be a sight to see!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
MATTHEW Johns has lit the fuse for Parramatta's end-of-season flourish, with Eels veterans furious over his criticism of their form reversal since Steve Kearney's sacking.

Lock Reni Maitua yesterday slammed Johns - who has called upon Parramatta's senior players to take responsibility for Kearney's demise - for "talking crap".
"It's not fun when you're being constantly scrutinised in the media and you've got Matty Johns talking crap about the team every week.
"If he's got that big an opinion of us then he should come down to training and give us a hand.
"We've tried everything and it's a shame we are only just beginning to win without Steve (Kearney).

It's the second time this season that Johns has raised the public ire of a senior player, with Tigers skipper Robbie Farah engaging in a memorable on-air debate with the NRL on Fox over criticism of Wests' forwards.
But Johns refused to back down from his opinion of Parramatta when contacted last night. But he did clarify that none of his criticisms were directed at Hindmarsh.
"Reni has got the right to defend his senior players and I fully appreciate that," Johns said. "I don't know the week-to-week politics of Parramatta or whether the players lost trust in Steve.
"But I have the right to stick up for Steve Kearney, who I believe is a fine man and a good coach.
"Already this season I've criticised the Tigers and I've criticised Newcastle - a club I played at for 10 seasons.
"But like a lot of people, I've got to wonder where this form has been all season."
Maitua said the key to Parramatta's stunning about-face came four weeks ago, when the senior players approached Kearney to change the team's attack.
But in the fortnight since Kearney's sacking the new style has sprouted wings to deliver boilover wins against Melbourne and Brisbane.
"It was about giving our halves more accountability and getting their hands on the ball," Maitua said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...m-at-matty-johns/story-e6frexnr-1226442547391

Boom!

Johns and Maitua both make some valid points.

Wise Old Eel

Juniors

Boom!

It's nice to have friends in the media, isn't Steve? Face it Johns, you boofhead. Kearney is not a first grade coach. He may be your mate but that doesn't mean you should pump him up to be something he's not & then go pointing the fingers at others to deflect the blame.

It was interesting to me that the players had to approach Kearney about changing things. IMO, it was probably then that the players finally lost faith. Having said that, there was no direct quote from Reni on that particular issue - rather just the journalist's interpretation of the so-called events.

Who knows what to believe? It is the Telecrap after all. Personally, I am glad Kearney's gone and I think the players look relieved/happy too.

WOE

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Put away your misplaced sense of smug self-satisfaction, Wise Old Eel, and listen to what Maitua actually said: http://www.parraeels.com.au/news-display/Maitua-Dont-underestimate-Benji/60830

Reni Maitua said:
About four weeks ago, umm, the senior players and the coaching staff come up with a style we wanted to play. Umm, it was about getting it right for eighty minutes, we showed that the first forty minutes against the Dogs that we could hang in there, uh, we were outclassed. The second half of the Manly game, and we seemed to get it right against Melbourne and Brisbane.

It was just about getting our, umm, ahh, giving our halves more accountability and getting their hands on the ball.

If you merkins want to know what's going on you need to watch more video and read less articles by journos paraphrasing for maximum scandal.

That said, if you look at the video and the stats (omfg stats!!! :crazy:) you'll know that Reni is bullshitting to the media.

The most involved Chris Sandow has been all year was against Newcastle - a game where he repeatedly 'looked lost', to use a term favoured around here. In that game he had 66 touches in 80 minutes. The week before against Penrith he had 61 touches in 90 minutes.

Against Newcastle he was obviously trying to play what's in front of him (as he has been doing all year) but against Newcastle what was in front of him was a solid wall of defence, since we were dominated in the ruck (as we were all year).

Contrast Sandow's involvement against Penrith (61 touches) and Newcastle (66 touches) with our last four weeks:

vs Manly (48 touches)
vs Bulldogs (59 touches)
vs Melbourne (36 touches)
vs Brisbane (46 touches)

I suspect Reni is bullshitting about our change in gameplan to avoid criticising Kearney, who he obviously doesn't rate as a motivator. The fact is the players have been unmotivated all year, which has shown itself in our weak defence and poor support play.

The one-out running we have seen on and off throughout the year? Lack of effort from support players. There's not a coach in the game that would coach a team to play like that. Kearney was a great offloader, and he would know the importance of supporting the ball carrier.

The players are just deadshits who can't motivate themselves. Clearly Kearney took the softly, softly approach and put the onus on the players to self-motivate - like any adult work environment - and they crumbled under the responsibility.

Reni has seen that these no-hopers need a coach who will put a rocket up them, and so Kearney had to go.

Last edited:

IFR33K

Coach
Put away your misplaced sense of smug self-satisfaction, Wise Old Eel, and listen to what Maitua actually said: http://www.parraeels.com.au/news-display/Maitua-Dont-underestimate-Benji/60830

If you merkins want to know what's going on you need to watch more video and read less articles by journos paraphrasing for maximum scandal.

That said, if you look at the video and the stats (omfg stats!!! :crazy:) you'll know that Reni is bullshitting to the media.

The most involved Chris Sandow has been all year was against Newcastle - a game where he repeatedly 'looked lost', to use a term favoured around here. In that game he had 66 touches in 80 minutes. The week before against Penrith he had 61 touches in 90 minutes.

Against Newcastle he was obviously trying to play what's in front of him (as he has been doing all year) but against Newcastle what was in front of him was a solid wall of defence, since we were dominated in the ruck (as we were all year).

Contrast Sandow's involvement against Penrith (61 touches) and Newcastle (66 touches) with our last four weeks:

vs Manly (48 touches)
vs Bulldogs (59 touches)
vs Melbourne (36 touches)
vs Brisbane (46 touches)

I suspect Reni is bullshitting about our change in gameplan to avoid criticising Kearney, who he obviously doesn't rate as a motivator. The fact is the players have been unmotivated all year, which has shown itself in our weak defence and poor support play.

The one-out running we have seen on and off throughout the year? Lack of effort from support players. There's not a coach in the game that would coach a team to play like that. Kearney was a great offloader, and he would know the importance of supporting the ball carrier.

The players are just deadshits who can't motivate themselves. Clearly Kearney took the softly, softly approach and put the onus on the players to self-motivate - like any adult work environment - and they crumbled under the responsibility.

Reni has seen that these no-hopers need a coach who will put a rocket up them, and so Kearney had to go.

Wikipoodia.