What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Suitman

Post Whore
Good to see the A-league selling the new stadium. What have the Roosters done?

Scroll....

Gronk

Staff member

Scroll....

Can confirm that the bronze façade looks really classy from the street/park.

1642541926345.png

I feel the pain of their tenants. It's not easy being homeless*.

* unless you're a gypsy and choose to do so like Wests Tigers.

10/10 to John Holland who looks to be finishing on time during a pandemic. Not easy either.

T-Boon

Coach

Scroll....

The NRL clubs are lazy merkins. That is the reason they are all mediocre organisations. Too lazy to advertise/promote.

Gronk

Staff member
The Albion now.

Was owned by Brian Hambly once IIRC.

Suitman

Post Whore
As for the Albion, don't be sucked in by any media outrage.
The place is nothing special architecturally, despite its age.
Was re-built in 1924 and has many upgrades since.
I'm not one to support losing genuine heritage. This place isn't that.
It can go. Our memories of great nights there in the 70's/80's/90's/20's should not be considered.

Suitman

Post Whore
Stadium naming
jan 30
An SCG heritage committee headed by businessman Maurice Newman, former politician and SCG Trust chairman Rodney Cavalier
and media director Phillip Heads have released the names of the grandstands

the grandstands will be named after:

* Ron Coote, the old South Sydney Rabbitohs and Sydney Roosters champion, who is considered by many to be the best ever player not to be named an Immortal.

* Australian soccer legend Johnny Warren, whose stand will be at the northern end of the stadium where The Cove supporter group is based for Sydney FC A-League games.

* Former Wallabies captain and legendary rugby union figure Sir Nicholas Shehadie.

* And, controversially, the Garrison stand, which recognises the British army soldiers from the 1850s who were based at Victoria barracks
and played sport on what is now the SCG.

The fact Arthur Beetson’s claims have been ignored will create enormous controversy.

In a News Corp poll last year Beetson had more than three times the support of any other sporting legend for the naming of the four grandstands.
There is no questioning Coote is a great choice.
But seriously … Garrison ahead of Beetson?

The name Garrison is more aligned to the Sydney Cricket Ground from 170 years ago, not the football stadium.

Surprisingly the stand names have already been signed off by many of Sydney’s most respected sporting types on the Venues NSW board
including chairman Tony Shepherd, John Quayle, broadcaster Alan Jones, Todd Greenberg and Rod McGeoch.

Only the premier Dominic Perrottet has the power to overturn the decision.

No Cookies | Daily Telegraph

No Cookies
www.dailytelegraph.com.au

Gronk

Staff member
Stadium naming
jan 30
An SCG heritage committee headed by businessman Maurice Newman, former politician and SCG Trust chairman Rodney Cavalier

* Ron Coote, the old South Sydney Rabbitohs and Sydney Roosters champion, who is considered by many to be the best ever player not to be named an Immortal.

* Australian soccer legend Johnny Warren, whose stand will be at the northern end of the stadium where The Cove supporter group is based for Sydney FC A-League games.

* Former Wallabies captain and legendary rugby union figure Sir Nicholas Shehadie.

* And, controversially, the Garrison stand, which recognises the British army soldiers from the 1850s who were based at Victoria barracks

The fact Arthur Beetson’s claims have been ignored will create enormous controversy.

In a News Corp poll last year Beetson had more than three times the support of any other sporting legend for the naming of the four grandstands.

The name Garrison is more aligned to the Sydney Cricket Ground from 170 years ago, not the football stadium.

Surprisingly the stand names have already been signed off by many of Sydney’s most respected sporting types on the Venues NSW board
including chairman Tony Shepherd, John Quayle, broadcaster Alan Jones, Todd Greenberg and Rod McGeoch.

No Cookies
Blah blah. Three codes use the stadium and the 4th stand is a nod to the past.

They could adopt our stadium‘s strategy and name nothing, allowing tenants to slap on a stand name on game day.

84 Baby

Referee
Stadium naming
jan 30

No Cookies
@Barry O'Speedwagon zero mention of Change The Date

84 Baby

Referee
That's ok. They haven't got a date to change. And I suspect they are planing on naming all the catering venues "Big Artie's Pies". And if they are naming one stand after Mr Garrison, then what about Mr Hat?
I mean it seems to me if people actually cared about indigenous affairs outside the hip woke times, that they might also care to point out this less than a week later that 4 stands named and one relates strongly to the issues regarding Australia Day.
I’ll grant that many of the whities wishing me a Happy Invasion Day probably don’t overlap with people who have much care about sports stadia

Gronk

Staff member
There is a battle for the Moore Park grass parking outside the new SFS.

The Government has built public transport infrastructure to the stadia and now wants to wind back parking on the grass over a staggered period. He wants the parking to stay.

Gerry Harvey has various leases in the Entertainment Quarter and wants to build a tower hotel (like the Eels Hotel) and a super pub that picks up the gambling merkins.

I mean it seems to me if people actually cared about indigenous affairs outside the hip woke times, that they might also care to point out this less than a week later that 4 stands named and one relates strongly to the issues regarding Australia Day.
I’ll grant that many of the whities wishing me a Happy Invasion Day probably don’t overlap with people who have much care about sports stadia

Well, given that the new names were only disclosed late yesterday, and the insiders such as Alan Jones are not really big wokers, if there is any such reaction it will take a little while to whip it up. But I don't think the choice of Ron Coote over Artie is quite the same as dispossessing a people of their land (close but not quite 'there'), and lots of people under the age of 40 wouldn't have a clue who Artie was.

Gronk

Staff member
But I don't think the choice of Ron Coote over Artie is quite the same as dispossessing a people of their land (close but not quite 'there'), and lots of people under the age of 40 wouldn't have a clue who Artie was.

Whereas Ron Coote owned a few Maccas franchises.

84 Baby

Referee
Well, given that the new names were only disclosed late yesterday, and the insiders such as Alan Jones are not really big wokers, if there is any such reaction it will take a little while to whip it up. But I don't think the choice of Ron Coote over Artie is quite the same as dispossessing a people of their land (close but not quite 'there'), and lots of people under the age of 40 wouldn't have a clue who Artie was.
Perhaps it isn’t the same, but it is wilfully ignorant to not have had any indigenous representation, especially naming one a super obscure historical reference to a building because some blokes who worked or whatever in that building played a bit of cricket across the road. Ron Coote has better fit with indigenous than the Garrison, which was a component (although a very benign, even charitable component) of the people doing the depossessing. Heck Johnny Warren has better indigenous connections. My point is if you want to change the date, why ignore it the other 364 days? And if it is going to be ignored the rest of the year, why change the date? At least then there’d be one day where Joe Bogan actually spared an iota of thought for indigenous affairs.