What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Perhaps it isn’t the same, but it is wilfully ignorant to not have had any indigenous representation, especially naming one a super obscure historical reference to a building because some blokes who worked or whatever in that building played a bit of cricket across the road. Ron Coote has better fit with indigenous than the Garrison, which was a component (although a very benign, even charitable component) of the people doing the depossessing. Heck Johnny Warren has better indigenous connections. My point is if you want to change the date, why ignore it the other 364 days? And if it is going to be ignored the rest of the year, why change the date? At least then there’d be one day where Joe Bogan actually spared an iota of thought for indigenous affairs.

Why are you asking me this? I'm not responsible for the thoughts of thousands of others and their ability to react to a decision about a footy stadium made less than 24 hours ago. As I said before, these are manifestly different issues. One is about a bunch of tone-deaf toffs picking the name of a football stand, and making a pig's ear of it.The other is about far more significant events. Why should the response be similar?

I really don't get the 'if you want to change the date, why ignore it the other 364 days' bit. I can rationally hold different opinions on related, but distinct questions. The other 364 days are not the anniversary of dispossession and are not accompanied by a celebration of that fact. It's not about political correctness or wokism (I fit into neither camp very well). It's about being a decent bloke. I don't walk around in protest. I just don't celebrate something that I don't believe in.

84 Baby

Referee
Why are you asking me this? I'm not responsible for the thoughts of thousands of others and their ability to react to a decision about a footy stadium made less than 24 hours ago. As I said before, these are manifestly different issues. One is about a bunch of tone-deaf toffs picking the name of a football stand, and making a pig's ear of it.The other is about far more significant events. Why should the response be similar?

I really don't get the 'if you want to change the date, why ignore it the other 364 days' bit. I can rationally hold different opinions on related, but distinct questions. The other 364 days are not the anniversary of dispossession and are not accompanied by a celebration of that fact. It's not about political correctness or wokism (I fit into neither camp very well). It's about being a decent bloke. I don't walk around in protest. I just don't celebrate something that I don't believe in.
You engaged and gave your opinion. You and hindy were my focal points on Australia Day for changing date argument.
I just find it poignant that I was the one disagreeing with changing date and yet have been the only one discussing it since it was brought up. Happy to drop it until 26th January 2023

You engaged and gave your opinion. You and hindy were my focal points on Australia Day for changing date argument.
I just find it poignant that I was the one disagreeing with changing date and yet have been the only one discussing it since it was brought up. Happy to drop it until 26th January 2023

Sure. I think both sides made their positions and the basis for them quite clear. I will refine mine over then next 360 days or so.

TheRam

Coach
I mean it seems to me if people actually cared about indigenous affairs outside the hip woke times, that they might also care to point out this less than a week later that 4 stands named and one relates strongly to the issues regarding Australia Day.
I’ll grant that many of the whities wishing me a Happy Invasion Day probably don’t overlap with people who have much care about sports stadia

What a racist thing to say.

I mean what if I referred to you as a blacky? I don't think you would like that much.

TheRam

Coach
Perhaps it isn’t the same, but it is wilfully ignorant to not have had any indigenous representation, especially naming one a super obscure historical reference to a building because some blokes who worked or whatever in that building played a bit of cricket across the road. Ron Coote has better fit with indigenous than the Garrison, which was a component (although a very benign, even charitable component) of the people doing the depossessing. Heck Johnny Warren has better indigenous connections. My point is if you want to change the date, why ignore it the other 364 days? And if it is going to be ignored the rest of the year, why change the date? At least then there’d be one day where Joe Bogan actually spared an iota of thought for indigenous affairs.

I don't care that Artie was indigenous, he deserves to be named for all his achievements more then anyone else on the list of candidates and many others agree with me. In fact he was by far the most popular choice then anyone else by the public. The fact that he is indigenous is just a bonus that we are all proud of him for and proves that we are all equal in this world no matter what our colour or race.

To omit him is a joke of a decision.

84 Baby

Referee
What a racist thing to say.

I mean what if I referred to you as a blacky? I don't think you would like that much.
If you only knew….
To be fair the only people I call whities are those trying very hard to not be white

84 Baby

Referee
I don't care that Artie was indigenous, he deserves to be named for all his achievements more then anyone else on the list of candidates and many others agree with me. In fact he was by far the most popular choice then anyone else by the public. The fact that he is indigenous is just a bonus that we are all proud of him for and proves that we are all equal in this world no matter what our colour or race.

This would be the endpoint. That all are equal to the point that a person’s background is just background to their achievements. But as it currently stands, weight needs to be applied to backgrounds

Gronk

Staff member

Yes but the decision was to placate the tenants. There are 4 tenants (Souths, Roosters, Waratahs and SFC) and 3 codes.

Clearly one code was not going to get 2 stands as the others would be spewin.

So it's Coote (played for Souths and Roosters), Warren & Shehadie. The 4th stand is a nod to the past.

TheRam

Coach
This would be the endpoint. That all are equal to the point that a person’s background is just background to their achievements. But as it currently stands, weight needs to be applied to backgrounds

I don't agree at all. A very brave and smart man once said...

"I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

That day will never come if we keep judging. Time to live by those words and stop pigeon holing each other by colour or race. Most of us don't care, but by constantly playing at the race card we will never let ourselves truly evolve.

TheRam

Coach
Yes but the decision was to placate the tenants. There are 4 tenants (Souths, Roosters, Waratahs and SFC) and 3 codes.

Clearly one code was not going to get 2 stands as the others would be spewin.

So it's Coote (played for Souths and Roosters), Warren & Shehadie. The 4th stand is a nod to the past.

So what you are saying political correctness ruined a portion of a legends rightful place in perpetual history. Like I said, I don't give a toss if it would of made the other two codes want to cry. Who the hell gives a toss about that? What, would they have refused to play there? No they would have maybe whinged(doubtful), but ultimately they would know who the top dog in this State is and excepted it like grownups. RL is the most popular and powerful sport in this State. Do you think that Soccer clubs in Europe give a toss about their rivals or the AFL gives a toss about theirs.

The problem is that the Trust is run by a bunch of sports fans and the head guy is a AFL wanker, that would be loving the chance to diminish League at any opportunity.

84 Baby

Referee
I don't agree at all. A very brave and smart man once said...

"I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

That day will never come if we keep judging. Time to live by those words and stop pigeon holing each other by colour or race. Most of us don't care, but by constantly playing at the race card we will never let ourselves truly evolve.
I agree and said as much in my second sentence but the facts are that day has not yet arrived. And so more needs to done to show that people of a minority (culture, race, etc) are still of the majority (just f**ken people). Or put simpler “they’re the same as you or me”

Gronk

Staff member
So what you are saying political correctness ruined a portion of a legends rightful place in perpetual history. Like I said, I don't give a toss if it would of made the other two codes want to cry. Who the hell gives a toss about that? What, would they have refused to play there? No they would have maybe whinged(doubtful), but ultimately they would know who the top dog in this State is and excepted it like grownups. RL is the most popular and powerful sport in this State. Do you think that Soccer clubs in Europe give a toss about their rivals or the AFL gives a toss about theirs.

The problem is that the Trust is run by a bunch of sports fans and the head guy is a AFL wanker, that would be loving the chance to diminish League at any opportunity.
It's not a rugby league ground. The NRL didn't pay for it. Why shouldn't a RU player get the 4th stand ? Call it the Ella stand then. Garry, Glen and Mark were indigenous and probably had a bigger impact than Artie. They played for Randwick too.

Suitman

Post Whore
It's not a rugby league ground. The NRL didn't pay for it. Why shouldn't a RU player get the 4th stand ? Call it the Ella stand then. Garry, Glen and Mark were indigenous and probably had a bigger impact than Artie. They played for Randwick too.

Yep, and if anyone ever needs to have a stand named after them, regardless of the sport, it is Johnny Warren.
I agree though with @the Ram that the AFL should not have even been given a choice.

emjaycee

Coach
As for the Albion, don't be sucked in by any media outrage.
The place is nothing special architecturally, despite its age.
Was re-built in 1924 and has many upgrades since.
I'm not one to support losing genuine heritage. This place isn't that.
It can go. Our memories of great nights there in the 70's/80's/90's/20's should not be considered.
Only recent reason I dont want to lose the Albion is that is a 5 minute walk from the office and we have our monthly team lunch there (good bistro food).

T-Boon

Coach
Eels. John Eels.

Suitman

Post Whore
Parra looks pretty amazing at the moment.
Double or triple this in the next 5-8 years.

PS.
Pic was attached but it was way too large. Apparently.
It was easily downloaded on several other sites.

Gronk

Staff member
You prolly already saw this @Suitman , cool 3D VR thingy.

I played with it on my ipad. it accesses your camera, tunnels into your living room floor and the stadium grows like a mushroom. You then can go onto the field and look around. You tap on various areas and get a rundown on corporate etc.

It’s like those real estate walk through VR experiences, just on steroids.

8AA04498-CE69-423C-B4D2-9CDC4E95C074.png