What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

Gronk

Staff member

8 September 2022

The Australian Government has introduced legislation to Parliament to establish the High Speed Rail Authority.

The Authority will build on previous work including a comprehensive study that found High Speed Rail was not only viable, but would return over $2 for every $1 of investment.

Running along the East Coast from Brisbane to Melbourne, with stops in Canberra, Sydney and regional centres, a high-speed rail network could allow passengers to travel between major cities and key regional cities at speeds exceeding 250 km/h.

The Authority is designed to provide independent advice to governments on high speed rail planning and delivery, and will lead the coordination with states and territories.

The Authority will be overseen by a Board, drawn from experts in the rail and infrastructure sector.

Faster rail will continue under the Authority, with the functions of the National Faster Rail Agency absorbed into the Authority and the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts.

The first priority of the Authority will be planning and corridor works for the Sydney to Newcastle section of the high-speed rail network, backed by a $500 million commitment from the Australian Government.

This commitment will see corridor planning and early works progress in this fast-growing region of the east coast.

=====================================================

High speed rail gathers speed​

The Australian Government is moving a step closer to high speed rail by introducing legislation to establish the High Speed Rail Authority.

The Authority will build on previous work including the comprehensive study, commissioned under former Infrastructure Minister and now Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, that found high speed rail was not only viable, but would return over $2 for every $1 of investment.

A high-speed rail network could allow passengers to travel between major cities and significant regional cities at speeds exceeding 250 km/h.

The first priority of the Authority will be planning and corridor works for the Sydney to Newcastle section of the high-speed rail network, backed by a $500 million commitment from the Australian Government.

This commitment will see corridor planning and early works progress in this fast-growing region of the east coast.
While the Authority works closely with the New South Wales Government on this section, it will continue to advance plans for other sections of the high-speed rail network, which will eventually connect Brisbane to Melbourne, with stops in Canberra, Sydney and regional centres.

The Authority will provide independent advice to governments on high speed rail planning and delivery, and will lead the coordination with states and territories.

The Authority will be overseen by a Board, drawn from experts in the rail and infrastructure sector.

Faster rail will also continue to be advanced under the Authority, with the functions of the National Faster Rail Agency being undertaken within the Authority and the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts.

High speed rail will revolutionise interstate travel on the east coast, providing a fast alternative for people to move between cities and regional centres, promoting sustainable settlement patterns and creating broad economic benefits for regional centres.

Quotes attributable to Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government Minister Catherine King:

“High-speed rail offers the promise to change the lives of millions of Australians, especially in our regions, while also bringing our east coast capitals closer together.
“This is a visionary investment in opening up our regions to greater opportunity.
“A high-speed rail network recognises the importance of prosperity in our regions, which will benefit from enhanced connection to our major cities and international gateways.
“No project captures the imagination of Australians quite like high-speed rail, and we are committed to realising the massive benefits this project could bring.
“This is a long-term project, but with the pragmatic advice of the High Speed Rail Authority we can take a genuine path forward.”

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
This is like watching Utopia

So here's what will happen

Announcement stage now, $500 million commitment to a $25 billion job, big woop.

Some pollies will dig a hole and announce the launching of the job

The job will actually commence about a year later

The price will blow out to about double.

The job will go over by about 2 years.

The job will finally be complete years later and at well over double the cost.

The $2 return for ech $1 invested becomes $1.01 return.

Suitman

Post Whore
This is like watching Utopia

So here's what will happen

Announcement stage now, $500 million commitment to a $25 billion job, big woop.

Some pollies will dig a hole and announce the launching of the job

The job will actually commence about a year later

The price will blow out to about double.

The job will go over by about 2 years.

The job will finally be complete years later and at well over double the cost.

The $2 return for ech $1 invested becomes $1.01 return.

Absolutely this is what will happen but the biggest issue I see with this proposal is if they are going to build it for 250 km/h as stated, it wouldn't really cost that much more to make it 300-350 km/h like the fast rail that has been built the world over.
We have to do this properly if we are going to spend this sort of coin. Even countries like Morocco are building fast rail at these speeds.
Fast rail has to be FAST. It has to be competitive with air travel.
VFT's (HSR) have (HAS) been spoken about for decades in this country yet nothing has ever been achieved.
Nothing!
I doubt that we'll ever get it done in my lifetime.
Yet, many countries the world over have no problems with getting it done.

Suitman

Post Whore
Well, the City - Parra/Westmead Metro is well underway. No stopping it now which is great because the running costs of Metro's is far more financially beneficial to the State and us taxpayers than the slow old Sydney trains.

Here's an update on the Olympic Park station site build.
Labor, and their cronie RBTU can get f**ked with their 1970's style strikes currently.
Fancy them trying to illegally turn off Opal Card gates and rob NSW taxpayers and the Govt of income, which funnily enough, pays their wages.
Thankfully, while the gates have been opened previously, 90% of commuters still tapped on and off. That's a big FU to the RBTU.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Went to randwick races yesterday how easy is it now to get too from the hills district. Only took around 1 hour.

Got on the bus at Baulkham Hills library that goes into Wynyard then walk down the hill 5 mins to the Wynyard stop on the tram line and takes you to wherever you want to go Central, SCG/Allianz, Randwick Racecourse or going other way at Circular Quay.

The government have stuffed up a lot of transport and major roads infrastructure in the past 30 years but getting around in the City now has never been easier to navigate around and with our beautiful harbour it's the best city in the world.

Suitman

Post Whore
Went to randwick races yesterday how easy is it now to get too from the hills district. Only took around 1 hour.

Got on the bus at Baulkham Hills library that goes into Wynyard then walk down the hill 5 mins to the Wynyard stop on the tram line and takes you to wherever you want to go Central, SCG/Allianz, Randwick Racecourse or going other way at Circular Quay.

The government have stuffed up a lot of transport and major roads infrastructure in the past 30 years but getting around in the City now has never been easier to navigate around and with our beautiful harbour it's the best city in the world.

Couldn't agree more.
I think our public transport is excellent and even though I live in The Hills District, I'm more than happy to use local buses, and the Metro to get to anywhere in the Sydney Metropolitain area, rather than drive. And to be honest, our public transport is extremely cheap with the weekly cap on the Opal Card.
And, it's only going to get better when we "Metro" more "Sydney Trains" lines.
The Bankstown line conversion is just the beginning.

Suitman

Post Whore
where are the new fish markets being built ?

Right beside the old Fish Markets. At the end of Blackwattle Bay.
Adjacent to Wentworth Park in Pyrmont.
The old Fish Markets will then be redeveloped into apartments and parkland with harbourside foreshore public space.
It will be a much improved part of the city.

Here are some renders of the new fish market.
It will be stunning.

1663841546164.png

1663841607689.png

1663841653063.png

1663841751752.png

Last edited:

Chipmunk

Coach
I'm actually curious about the purpose of this Western Sydney Airport (WSA), as to me it seems quite unusual the way it will be set up. It opens in 2025/26, but will it be a white elephant for the first 30 years?

I understand it's main purpose is to add capacity, because Sydney has capacity limitations. But, WSA's purpose is not to replace Kingsford Smith, but to compete with it. Obviously you'd expect freight to move out there, as it will be 24 hours, where Kingsford Smith isn't, but is there going to be enough traffic for two airports in Sydney? Melbourne has a similar population, with Victoria slightly lower population than NSW, but Avalon airport has minuscule traffic compared to Tullamarine, and doesn't seem to be increasing greatly anytime soon.

As far as I'm aware, WSA will do both domestic and international, and won't be for budget airlines, which Avalon really is.

When you look at the other cities with multiple airports, you've got New York, London, Bangkok, and Tokyo that spring to mind. But Sydney pales into insignificance when population and passenger movements are compared.

I'll be curious how they get the airlines to move from Kingsford-Smith to there. Why would an airline move there if they already have slots there?

the phantom menace

First Grade
Whenever Macquarie Bank is ready to sell off the Mascot airport land for sufficient profit during the next 30 years, then WSA will ready to fully take over.

Chipmunk

Coach
Whenever Macquarie Bank is ready to sell off the Mascot airport land for sufficient profit during the next 30 years, then WSA will ready to fully take over.
Well the land is owned by the Commonwealth, and the new owners who took over last year only have a lease and obtain no financial benefits if it isn't operated as an airport.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Ah, so Macquarie Bank got out at the right time then? I wonder what the ultimate plan for this land (post-airport) is then... will they just turn it into a second Bankstown Airport in 30 years, and then whoever owns that land can flog it off for development?

Chipmunk

Coach
Ah, so Macquarie Bank got out at the right time then? I wonder what the ultimate plan for this land (post-airport) is then... will they just turn it into a second Bankstown Airport in 30 years, and then whoever owns that land can flog it off for development?
The land at Bankstown Airport is also owned by the Commonwealth. In fact, the land at the majority of the major airports in Australia are all owned by the Commonwealth (the exceptions to this are Cairns, Sunshine Coast and Avalon), and leased out on what I believe are 50 year leases with another 50 year option (to ultimately operate an airport). I suspect it will always be an airport. The Commonwealth doesn't really sell the land it still owns very much.

WSA is also at present owned by the Commonwealth. They will sell this off when the time comes, but I'm not sure under the same kind of lease setup as all of the other airports.

Last edited:

Latest posts