What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patten: Hype affecting 'Dogs early in 2007

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Very true, but the bold bit? :-s

NRL hype getting to Bulldogs: Patten
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 12:25 PM
Luke Patten has accused Bulldogs teammates of letting pre-season hype over the team's NRL premiership chances get to their heads.
The Bulldogs are equal third favourites to win the 2007 title despite a 0-2 start to their season following losses to Newcastle and Penrith.
TAB Sportsbet lists the Bulldogs at $8 to win the competition, equal with Manly but behind Melbourne ($4.50) and North Queensland ($7).
Patten said he was still hurting from last Friday's "embarrassing" 40-10 thrashing at the hands of the Panthers at CUA Stadium.
"I hope everyone's hurting - I definitely am," the veteran fullback said.
"It was embarrassing and un-Bulldog-like and it's not good enough for the start of the year.
"I'm hoping we have a hard week of training. All the talk of us being favourites in the pre-season hasn't helped.
"Maybe some people let that get to their head a bit. Maybe it's just the sort of wake-up call we needed.
"If we have a good week at training you'll definitely see a different Bulldogs performance on the weekend."
After losing key forwards Roy Asotasi (Souths) and Nate Myles (Sydney Roosters) at the end of last year, Patten said the Bulldogs didn't deserve to be tagged among premiership favourites in the pre-season.
"We've still got some young blokes in first grade who are finding their feet," he said.
"I know we've got all the big names like (Willie) Mason and Sonny Bill (Williams) but names don't win you footy games. It's people out there having a big dig as well.
"I definitely don't think we should be premiership favourites.
"We're definitely going to be challenging for the title but I'd rather us come under the radar a little bit more."
Patten warned the Gold Coast Titans to expect a backlash from the Bulldogs at Telstra Stadium on Sunday following his side's ordinary start to the season.
The Titans will be on a high after notching their first-ever premiership win, coming from behind to edge out Cronulla 18-16 in a thriller at Carrara.
"They're coming off a big Monday night of football and they're up against us who have lost two in a row," Patten said.
"It's probably not a good time to meet us. Over the last few years we've prided ourselves on bouncing back from losses so this week will be no different."
The Bulldogs will be boosted by the return of Sonny Bill Williams from send off and suspension for his high shot on Newcastle captain Andrew Johns in the opening minutes of the season.
The Cowboys have rocketed into premiership favouritism on the back of impressive wins over Brisbane and the Roosters and the devastating form of skipper Johnathan Thurston and dynamic fullback Matt Bowen.
But Patten noted that last year North Queensland won their opening six matches before collapsing in a heap.
"As weird as it sounds, I'd rather be having a couple of losses and not be playing that great at the start of the year than doing that at the end of the year," Patten said.
"It is a long season. It's not panic stations for us by a long shot but we definitely need to improve."
Is there something I don't know? :?

SOURCE: NRL Website http://svc002.wic107cx.server-web.com/News/Latest/NewsArticle/tabid/76/NewsId/4324/Default.aspx

Timmah

Staff member
I was aware he received a two week suspension. The article infers he's returning vs Titans when that ain't the case :p

The Informer

Juniors
The hype was unfounded, and has been for months, but typical of some limited media hacks. I don't believe you will make the 8, and have backed you at $3.50 not to do so. That's no sledge at the Dogs, I just think that the way that the cap is biting you you now have a far weaker forward list than you have had for many yrs, but most like the media still think of you as you were a few yrs ago.

The depth has been eaten away each yr. Asotasi, Myles, Grimildi gone from last yrs side, Price and others in the yrs prior, and so on. And amongst it some real quality. Penrith were specials last Fri if they aimed up in the middle when you add to that list that Williams and Hughes were out. The signs were starting to show last yr that once the forward rotations started from the 20 to 30 min mark onwards things weakened, and it's worse this yr. And the more recent 2nd half efforts have been very poor to say the least. I reckon 07 is a tough yr for the Bulldogs.

Timmah

Staff member
We'll be in the mix, I have no doubt about that.

Smartman

Juniors
The Informer said:
The hype was unfounded, and has been for months, but typical of some limited media hacks. I don't believe you will make the 8, and have backed you at $3.50 not to do so. That's no sledge at the Dogs, I just think that the way that the cap is biting you you now have a far weaker forward list than you have had for many yrs, but most like the media still think of you as you were a few yrs ago.

Geez you're pretty hard to please.

5 internationals in Mason, SBW, Ryan, Omeley and Matua with the emergence of Hickey and Armit.

Holy sh*t its bloody weak :sarcasm:

ByRd

First Grade
loll i dont mind if other teams think we are weaker now, well just be a surprise then ;)

Dogaholic

First Grade
The Informer said:

The depth has been eaten away each yr. Asotasi, Myles, Grimildi gone from last yrs side, Price and others in the yrs prior, and so on. And amongst it some real quality. Penrith were specials last Fri if they aimed up in the middle when you add to that list that Williams and Hughes were out. The signs were starting to show last yr that once the forward rotations started from the 20 to 30 min mark onwards things weakened, and it's worse this yr. And the more recent 2nd half efforts have been very poor to say the least. I reckon 07 is a tough yr for the Bulldogs.

I have been trying to convince myself otherwise of this but am finding it hard to do so. i think we will scrape into the 8 but wont do much when we are there.

Smartman

Juniors
Dogaholic said:
I have been trying to convince myself otherwise of this but am finding it hard to do so. i think we will scrape into the 8 but wont do much when we are there.

Is this based on what you have seen the past 2 weeks?

The dogs are generally slow starters to any year.

Timmah

Staff member
24-22 against the Panthers (R1), 46-22 SMASHED by the Knights last year (R3). We've lost to the same two teams again this year, albeit in reverse results (06-Panthers by 2, 07-Panthers by heaps / 06-Knights by heaps, 07-Knights by 1).

Nothing to be worried about just yet.

My concern is the article stating SONNY BILL WILLIAMS returning. How if he's suspended?

Smartman

Juniors
Timmah said:
24-22 against the Panthers (R1), 46-22 SMASHED by the Knights last year (R3). We've lost to the same two teams again this year, albeit in reverse results (06-Panthers by 2, 07-Panthers by heaps / 06-Knights by heaps, 07-Knights by 1).

Nothing to be worried about just yet.

My concern is the article stating SONNY BILL WILLIAMS returning. How if he's suspended?

Hes returning round 4.

A f**kup by the writer.

-Dr.J-

Juniors
I too think this is gonna be a tough comp for the Doggies. Ageing players, no real rudder, well coached and prepared team but that only goes so far. They have a wealth of self belief and had a wealth of talent but both of these things have been and will be further eroded. Not to mention a few people either looked or are looking pretty hard about bailing out and a couple that are getting past it.

Dogaholic

First Grade
Smartman said:
Is this based on what you have seen the past 2 weeks?

The dogs are generally slow starters to any year.

No, this is based on our depth. I was worried pre season.

We were always known for our forwards. We have lost a lot in that department and I don't think our backs are good enough to compensate.

Timmah

Staff member
On the contrary, Patten and Tonga are brilliant so far this year, two players who really appear to want to play. Missing Utai has been a drawback IMO, Cutler's still raw. Once we get our full contigent back we'll be strong.

Smartman

Juniors
Timmah said:
On the contrary, Patten and Tonga are brilliant so far this year, two players who really appear to want to play. Missing Utai has been a drawback IMO, Cutler's still raw. Once we get our full contigent back we'll be strong.

Exactly right, Tonga looks like the 2004 version and it looks like Patten has gained extra pace.

i do think its vital we win this week, to keep our top 4 hopes alive, otherwise we will find us been 6 points out, and most likely difficult to catch up, although my focus this moment is to stay in contact with the top 8, hopefully a win against the titans this week, will do that.

Timmah

Staff member
:oops: Willow, sorry mate - completley forgot the source line :x

I'll correct the source I got it from ;-)

badav

Bench
The bulldogs are still stuck in half time semi final against brisbane 06. They think theyve won the game before they get onto the paddock and get shocked.

Wont be long before they snap out of it though.