What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Green - CTE

Ozzi_78

First Grade
I read the article but I still don’t fully understand.

PG had CTE I got that bit.
They can only find it post mortem I get that too.

Does the science say that CTE causes People to be depressed easier and hence this is the assumption?

I kind of get the relief for the family but I also think that while CTE may have been a straw it wasn’t the bale.

Special K

Coach
CTE can make people feel impulsive and have suicidal thoughts.

Seems like a bit of a perfect storm. Had some celebrations the night before, woke up the next day with some scaries and was home alone. Super shit and sad but I guess it shows how quick and dark the brain can go. Look at Chris Benoit and his CTE.

Hopefully this will lead to more research and help. The size and speed of the game now I can’t imagine how blokes will be in 30 years.

PJ

First Grade
I read the article but I still don’t fully understand.

PG had CTE I got that bit.
They can only find it post mortem I get that too.

Does the science say that CTE causes People to be depressed easier and hence this is the assumption?

I kind of get the relief for the family but I also think that while CTE may have been a straw it wasn’t the bale.

Yes, CTE is linked with depression and higher suicide rates. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/chronic-traumatic-encephalopathy/

Chimp

Juniors
I posted this as part of a post on the NRL page…

Sport should be treat differently to normal professions though - sport starts as a hobby, a voluntary hobby - the legal frameworks need to be changed to allow for sport at all levels to have a ‘disclaimer’ type sign up process. And whether you play amateur as a hobby, or are lucky/good
enough to make it professional, that same disclaimer protects the sport. Enter at your own risk…. We now know, unequivocally, that multiple concussions/head knocks can and does cause damage to the brain, for sport to survive, the law has to allow the sport to ensure all potential participants are made aware of the very real risks, and then sign up if they wish to continue. It’s the only way.

Without sport getting that legal protection, it’s done.

PJ

First Grade

Sport should be treat differently to normal professions though - sport starts as a hobby, a voluntary hobby - the legal frameworks need to be changed to allow for sport at all levels to have a ‘disclaimer’ type sign up process. And whether you play amateur as a hobby, or are lucky/good
enough to make it professional, that same disclaimer protects the sport. Enter at your own risk…. We now know, unequivocally, that multiple concussions/head knocks can and does cause damage to the brain, for sport to survive, the law has to allow the sport to ensure all potential participants are made aware of the very real risks, and then sign up if they wish to continue. It’s the only way.

That's all well and good, but if we get continued stories like this or (and I don't know how to describe this fairly as it is still a terrible outcome, and I really don't mean to diminish it) relatively lesser outcomes like the early onset dementia for the likes of Mario Fenech, Royce Simmons etc. how many parents are going to be encouraging their kids to play these type of sports regardless of legal protections.

Weaponhead

Coach
For many people, pro sport is seen as the ticket out of poverty. Whilst the rewards are high, there will always be people prepared to take their chances.

The NRL big wigs will be preparing for potential class action.

The Predictor

Juniors

Then most will opt not to play, especially after Greens suicide, his circumstances were quite frightening, and many players will think twice in the future and may start retiring, therefore making ur point moot, and somewhat redundant

I suspect the nrl (and rugby) would be liaising with the nfl about this, you'd think with the eye watering money in nfl there's no way anyone would be saying that sport will be dead in 20 years. They've already been down the path of class actions from memory.

It's a delicate subject as we all love our sport but with green, mario and royce's issues which no doubt will be followed by a lot more players you wonder how there is a legitimate future for the game without it just becoming touch footy.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
I also question to what point a player has to suffer head knocks to be at risk. Green, Mario and Royce played in a different time when you pretty much had to be dead to not play. Is 1 or 2 bad hits enough? If so then I don’t play league but I’m at risk.

Now they have set protocols that govern if and when they play. Cordner and Wade are the 2 I think of as being most high risk in 20 years but it is his choice to play on.

I find it really hard to blame the nrl, they have probably done more than anyone in protecting players. Short of making it below the knee what are they supposed to do?

The Predictor

Juniors
I also question to what point a player has to suffer head knocks to be at risk. Green, Mario and Royce played in a different time when you pretty much had to be dead to not play. Is 1 or 2 bad hits enough? If so then I don’t play league but I’m at risk.

Now they have set protocols that govern if and when they play. Cordner and Wade are the 2 I think of as being most high risk in 20 years but it is his choice to play on.

I find it really hard to blame the nrl, they have probably done more than anyone in protecting players. Short of making it below the knee what are they supposed to do?
Add Steve Mortimer and Ray price to that group, u would think, amongst many others

Chimp

Juniors
Then most will opt not to play, especially after Greens suicide, his circumstances were quite frightening, and many players will think twice in the future and may start retiring, therefore making ur point moot, and somewhat redundant
I don’t think they will - boxing and particularly MMA are growing in numbers both from a spectator and participant level at an astonishing rate.
Being part of the rugby league community brings so many other benefits to peoples life, and is often the thing that keeps many kids on the straight and narrow - I’m sure it will survive, despite people knowing the risk. People take ‘known risks’ every day, wether that be for recreation (contact sports, swimming in open waters, surfing etc etc) or even going about daily life (speeding in the car, doing DIY without safety equipment or training etc etc), it might slightly reduce participation, but unlikely to be significant. Rugby league players generally come from rugby league families, I don’t see many deciding to end their family association with the sport.

The Predictor

Juniors
I don’t think they will - boxing and particularly MMA are growing in numbers both from a spectator and participant level at an astonishing rate.
Being part of the rugby league community brings so many other benefits to peoples life, and is often the thing that keeps many kids on the straight and narrow - I’m sure it will survive, despite people knowing the risk. People take ‘known risks’ every day, wether that be for recreation (contact sports, swimming in open waters, surfing etc etc) or even going about daily life (speeding in the car, doing DIY without safety equipment or training etc etc), it might slightly reduce participation, but unlikely to be significant. Rugby league players generally come from rugby league families, I don’t see many deciding to end their family association with the sport.
I hope your right, life wouldn’t be the same without footy, but have keep improving regarding players safety