What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Green dies aged 49

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

Wayne Bennett revealed he was in negotiations to bring the late Paul Green to the Dolphins as his assistant as he paid tribute to the premiership winning coach after his sad passing.

Green passed away on Thursday morning at the age of 49 and Bennett, who had a long history with him revealed he was in talks to get Green to the Dolphins just three weeks ago.

“He made a great contribution and he had a lot of coaching in front of him,” Bennett said on Triple M’s The Rush Hour.

“I offered him a position at the Dolphins in the last three weeks. Three weeks ago now we were in negotiations at the time.

“I think he was keen to come, but we were just trying to work out a contract for him. That’s how much I thought of him.”

Bennett kept in contact with Green after he handed the Queensland coaching baton to him in 2021 and revealed that he knew it would be a tough transition for Green with that Maroons team.

“I was watching him from afar and I certainly was close to him in the Origin last year and I kept in contact with him there when he got the job,” Bennett said.

“I knew there was a bit of a challenge there in front of him. I spoke to him on a number of occasions.

“I didn’t want to see him out of coaching. I just think he had too much to offer.

“I thought if I could help him get back into coaching by coming to the Dolphins it would have made us a pretty formidable coaching team with him there.

“I saw it as a way back into the NRL for him if he wanted to do that.

“I wasn’t sure he was busting to get back there because it is a pretty cruel place at times and you have a lot of disappointment and the Origin series would have hurt enormously because there is so much expectation there.

“There’s never been a Queensland coach that hasn’t felt that expectation and I know he would have.

Floodwaters

Juniors
I'm not following you. You are saying the NRL blocked a coach from a job? I read on the ABC website today that he had actually been in talks.

Sorry I misunderstood your question, I thought you were talking about the head coach job, I heard on the radio few months back he was very close getting it but the NRL wanted Bennett to face there new team..

Your question I googled it, yea Bennett said on radio today he offered Green a assistant role last week.

Floodwaters

Juniors
"Kent also explained that Bennett wasn’t the club’s first choice to take over as coach — with former Cowboys boss Paul Green tipped to take over.

But after the NRL intervened, Bennett was appointed following years of dominance which included seven premierships."

NRL 360 I heard it.

GongPanther

Referee
"Kent also explained that Bennett wasn’t the club’s first choice to take over as coach — with former Cowboys boss Paul Green tipped to take over.

But after the NRL intervened, Bennett was appointed following years of dominance which included seven premierships."

NRL 360 I heard it.
Thanks for that..

As someone who has been thru something very close to this recently myself, if you know any mates or family members who may be struggling thaat you haven't spoken to/seen in quite a while, reach out and speak to them. Let them know you care and are there for them. Believe you me, a kind gesture to someone struggling mentally can help more than you really might imagine.

nick87

Coach
Terribly tragic situation.

As someone who has been thru something very close to this recently myself, if you know any mates or family members who may be struggling thaat you haven't spoken to/seen in quite a while, reach out and speak to them. Let them know you care and are there for them. Believe you me, a kind gesture to someone struggling mentally can help more than you really might imagine.

Well said.

Wizardman

First Grade
I had the absolute fortune of working with Paul Green and Michael Vella for half a day when the entire Eels squad visited my school as part of the old "Eels on Wheels" coaching clinic program. Green was very down to Earth and I enjoyed his company. He was sensational with the kids as well. Very sad loss.

At one time in my life, I was less than 20 minutes from taking my own life. Never felt that way before then and never felt that way since. But, I've been there. We need to be better in sharing our feelings in society. I think Australia has come some way in that journey but we need to be better.

Rest in peace Paul Green :(

Danish

Referee

NRL 360 I heard it.

f**k me. I have to hope that Kent is just pulling that out his ass. If the NRL actually stepped in and blocked him from a head coaching gig that would be bloody disgraceful

Generalzod

Immortal
Listening to an interview with ET on the radio Paul was to go out fishing this weekend on his new boat....

beave

Coach
Terrible news.

Will go down in NQ RL folklore as the first coach to get it "done". I loved the way he made the players and club take accountability for their shit and stop blaming the officials (2014 chooks semi presser an example). The run in 2017, NQ had no right to be in the GF with the players out and a large swathe of players playing on fumes and one leg throughout those 4 finals games.

RIP Greeny.

Dogs Of War

Coach

Not to mention. If you don't feel you can talk to friends. Lifeline and related parties are there to talk to.