What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Green

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
I was surprised to see the lineup this week. Opacic looks like a smaller and less athletic version of the special needs penguin ben pomeroy.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Lol & we won one
Se we are 1-1
& our season is apparently over .
Someone put a pic of Helen lovejoy up

You've written the season off after 2 games.

Sounds sensible.

I am talking about the premiership. We won't be winning the premiership. We are a long way back to recovery after a horrendous 2018, and signs of those same issues in attitude, clunky attack and reliance on a handful of players still being there.

Then we know what happened with Barba when we needed a strong fullback to contend. And now Taumalolo being out for 6-8 weeks. A couple of weeks away, the QLD selectors will then raid us irrespective of form because the Broncos are a NSW team now :)

I am far from a pessimist, though. It is a season like this that gives us an opportunity to blood some good young players from our own backyard. I still wouldn't be surprised if we get our man in Holmes for 2020 or 2021. I look forward to the thought of Holmes lining up for us at our new stadium, and some of the young talent like Tuala integrated into the squad. Then we might be a contender.

Of course a lot of things about our recovery depend on Paul Green. I've felt all along that he is a good coach, but not a great one (yet). Just like McGuire, he learnt from good systems and brought a premiership to a team desperate for success. But just like McGuire, he refused to evolve or went from innovative to conservative. Sometimes it takes the team to really hit rock-bottom for Paul Green to want to change things up a bit.

I get that coaches need a bit of stubbornness to follow through with their convictions in the face of fan criticism. But eventually, if you keep ignoring the bleeding obvious, then you've just let your ego get in the way of common sense.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Coen Hess has come out and said he was fired up and ready to fill the gap left by JT.

Can someone please take the Carl Webb poster down from his locker door

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
I was surprised to see the lineup this week. Opacic looks like a smaller and less athletic version of the special needs penguin ben pomeroy.

Opacic was a very interesting signing. We got rid of Kane Linnett to apparently put some more speed into our backline. Then we end up signing a poor man's Kane Linnett.

I am not even sure we should have got rid of Kane Linnett. I do agree in principle that we needed some more speed in the backline. But the team had a mountain of losses last year when Linnett was out injured, so if anything, he was a very odd scapegoat. We actually slightly improved when he returned from injury.

I think there is more pressure on our forwards with Linnett out of the team. Some of his carries early in the set were as good as a decent forward's carries....

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Aussie Jim has actually been awesome this first 2 rounds.

Never thought i'd ever say that again

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Aussie Jim has actually been awesome this first 2 rounds.

Never thought i'd ever say that again

Indeed he has. I just recall a time in his Cowboys years when he would talk it up, then not back it up. Jimmy had a strong earlier Cowboys career, so long as a microphone was not around... :)

elyod138

Bench
Gela-Mosby has tonnes of flaws, it's obvious why he doesn't get picked and he only has himself to blame. Extremely inconsistent on the field and constantly gets suspended. Then he has off field issues on top of that. Yes he's fast, he needs to improve in a lot of other areas to cement a first grade spot though. It said it all last year when he was in first grade and someone made a break and he just gave up chasing after about 10m.

I feel like North Qld have heaps of vocal fairweather fans who came out of the woodwork after winning the grand final, the way they carry on with a little bit of hardship is embarrassing. It's especially evident in Facebook groups. They treat a lot of players in the team like absolute shit, even wishing for them to get injured so the 'young blokes' can play. Terrible supporters.

No doubt changes need to happen and we need to see some improvement after last year but the way these so called fans just get the knives out at any sniff of weakness is disappointing to see. It was already happening in 2016 when we didn't go back to back.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Gela-Mosby has tonnes of flaws, it's obvious why he doesn't get picked and he only has himself to blame. Extremely inconsistent on the field and constantly gets suspended. Then he has off field issues on top of that. Yes he's fast, he needs to improve in a lot of other areas to cement a first grade spot though. It said it all last year when he was in first grade and someone made a break and he just gave up chasing after about 10m.

I feel like North Qld have heaps of vocal fairweather fans who came out of the woodwork after winning the grand final, the way they carry on with a little bit of hardship is embarrassing. It's especially evident in Facebook groups. They treat a lot of players in the team like absolute shit, even wishing for them to get injured so the 'young blokes' can play. Terrible supporters.

No doubt changes need to happen and we need to see some improvement after last year but the way these so called fans just get the knives out at any sniff of weakness is disappointing to see. It was already happening in 2016 when we didn't go back to back.

Here are my thoughts to your comments Lloyd.

1 Gideon's off the field record is overstated imo. It seems like a convenient excuse to me (which was the same about Clifford recently having some issues away from the field). Most people cannot substantiate many of the things he has supposedly done wrong anyway besides did not renew his licence when he got behind a wheel, or being late to training once. We all forget we had a few bad boys back in the day. One of them is Johnathan Thurston, and he went alright.

2 I've been a Cowboys fan since the beginning. I believe in appreciation, but not to the extent of just not caring because we won back in 2015 so everything else doesn't matter anymore.

3 It is not just about Gideon's speed alone (but God knows we need some speed in the backline). He has great try scoring ability. You take Gideon out of the team (and Feldt), and I just struggle to see where the points are coming from now. It looks like we have a backline of light backrowers. McDonald is also crying for some better ball out wide. Instead, it takes too long to get to him....

4 Agree that was a shocking effort where Gideon did not chase a player. He was caught wrong footed and was not going to chase down Roberts from that far behind, so hesitated whether he'd try or not. However, fans don't see it that way and get please and encouraged by effort. I think he copped a spray for that, and deserves the right to be forgived. In my recollection, he has not done it again.

5 When I advocate for changes, it is because the same players that always get picked make the same errors constantly, so it is like watching ground hog day. When a young player comes into the team and makes errors, at least they have upside to get better and learn. When a 28 or 29 year old continues to make the same errors, you question whether they have upside or are just surviving off the legacy of the 2015 grand final. I personally think some of the premiership players have lost a bit of that extra motivation. Yes they still care on game day, but they miss that hunger. A 2015 historic premiership, marriage, having kids, buying property and small businesses etc... they've ticked off a lot of boxes in footy and their personal life, and have lost some of their old competitive edge to win.

6 Agree in hindsight about 2016. I think the Cowboys made a very honest title defence, even though I was critical at the time when they had two shocking performances against the Roosters and Tigers. That we made the top 4 was a lot more than many other defending premiers could do. With that said, I also feel that we saw some of the Cowboys best and worst footy that year. Early 2016, we looked better than the 2015 premiership, and players like Lachlan Coote were on fire. Late in the year, we looked tired, stale and robotic. We no longer seemed to enjoy the regular season and couldn't wait for the finals to come around, so that we could put all our effort into a handful of games. We had our grand final in the second round against Brisbane. We had nothing left by the time we got to Cronulla.

elyod138

Bench
Gela-Mosby is going to be suspended again this week for yet another shoulder charge. I don't think his issues are overstated. He had a great chance to get a first grade spot last year and he ruined it by constantly getting suspended and then the off field issues on top of that. He wasn't available to be selected for half of the year due to his own actions. He f**ked the club over because we had a lot of injuries and we didn't have him as an option because he was suspended.

You can't just pick a player who is taking the piss and constantly getting suspended and showing up and down form because he's more of an attacking threat than other options on those few occasions when he manages to stay on the field and shows good form. He has been crap so far this year and now he's gonna be suspended.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Gela-Mosby is going to be suspended again this week for yet another shoulder charge. I don't think his issues are overstated. He had a great chance to get a first grade spot last year and he ruined it by constantly getting suspended and then the off field issues on top of that. He wasn't available to be selected for half of the year due to his own actions. He f**ked the club over because we had a lot of injuries and we didn't have him as an option because he was suspended.

Even when he hasn't had any suspensions hanging over him, he has been overlooked. Hence I stand by my point.

elyod138

Bench
Even when he hasn't had any suspensions hanging over him, he has been overlooked. Hence I stand by my point.
I dunno, you seem like one of the people who would have been blindly calling for him to come into the team while he wasn't even playing and not available for selection.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
I dunno, you seem like one of the people who would have been blindly calling for him to come into the team while he wasn't even playing and not available for selection.

I do think if Feldty was fit, I'd be comfortable with Feldt on one side and McDonald on the other. That I want Mosby on the wing is because I think he is a better option than Bowen who started his Cowboys career well, but somewhat stagnated a bit. But he is a good person, and is Mango's nephew, so gets more opportunities.

I'd even take Kahu on the wing over Bowen, but I think he is put at centre because we don't have better options there (even though Kahu is not a particularly great centre either).

typicalfan

Coach
Don’t underestimate the loss of Winterstein too. He used to be a solid 7/10 guy every week who would occasionally be 8/10. Good bringing th ball back and an underrated finisher.

He was in serious decline last season where he was a constant liability.

Canard

Immortal
There is only 5 players selected in this weeks team that played in the 2015 GF, with only one remaining in the backline (Morgan)

I think that dead horse can stop being flogged.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Don’t underestimate the loss of Winterstein too. He used to be a solid 7/10 guy every week who would occasionally be 8/10. Good bringing th ball back and an underrated finisher.

He was in serious decline last season where he was a constant liability.

Winters was done by 2017. Agreed he was a great finisher and tough as nails. Not exactly able to create opportunities for the team alone, though.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
There is only 5 players selected in this weeks team that played in the 2015 GF, with only one remaining in the backline (Morgan)

I think that dead horse can stop being flogged.

Well he's only just come to his senses on O'Neil. But he loves his son Jake too much.

The argument about 2015 is more style. Green is very slow to change the style of play we use, and it is already an old style as it copies many things from the Roosters 2013 premiership, which Trent Robinson has significantly changed since then to win another premiership.

Canard

Immortal
Well he's only just come to his senses on O'Neil. But he loves his son Jake too much.

The argument about 2015 is more style. Green is very slow to change the style of play we use, and it is already an old style as it copies many things from the Roosters 2013 premiership, which Trent Robinson has significantly changed since then to win another premiership.

Easy to change when you can buy the best Fullback and Halfback in the comp in an off-season.

elyod138

Bench

Green's outdated coaching style with an injury riddled team shredded Robinson's team in the 2017 finals.

Green's biggest mistake was putting JT back at halfback in 2017 after the team started working together better than they ever had with Morgo running the show at 7. I can understand why he went back to JT though, it would have been a huge call to make him take the back seat in his final year.

We've only seen glimpses of it because the first game was in the wet and last week the forwards got completely owned before we could do anything, but I think the style of play we've had this year is totally different to recent years. It looks to be based around offloading, something that was almost banned in Green's teams in recent years. We are leading the competition for offloads in the first 2 rounds with 28 in two games.

Latest posts