What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pay Origin players more when new TV deal comes in

BuffaloRules

Coach
There is some talk that the Origin games are to be sold seperately under the next TV deal, and may bring in $30-40 Million dollars a year... Not unreasonable in my view given that the Origin has a long track record of providing 3 of the top 10 rating programs each year on FTA Australia wide....

Obviously the players association will be all over this, and its only fair that our elite players share in the spoils.

I believe that you could afford to pay the 34 players $100K each per game.

This would be $3.4 Mil out of a $10M to $12M per game for TV rights and another $2Mil for the gate..not unreasonable.

It would also mean that our elite players who would play all 3 games get another $300K per year... big money to stop them being tempted by Union of AFL....

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Sounds fine, but you'd want to arse the current lot of NSW selectors ... currently it's like handing a few clubs (I'm looking at you Manly) an extra $1.5 million each year for their playing roster.

Loudstrat

Coach
Origin is the cash cow that funds the ARL. If you want to stop all funding to every sub NRL club and watch them die, waste it all keeping the money hungry ones that we don't miss anyway.

Besides, such a plan will not benefit Kiwi and Islander players.

Sounds fine, but you'd want to arse the current lot of NSW selectors ... currently it's like handing a few clubs (I'm looking at you Manly) an extra $1.5 million each year for their playing roster.

Great point, irrespective of singling out Manly.

Where would you get selectors who do not have current ties, or strong histories with certain clubs?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Yeah.. good point on the selectors, but I cant think of when there will ever be a perfect system in this regard.

How else though can we pay our top players more and still have the integrity of the salary cap?

Union ( and AFL) are going to come after our elite players as a way to strengthen their own games, and poke us in the eye.. More money needs to go to the Inglis's, Haynes, Slaters etc...

And as I mentioned originally, the Players Association will see the dollar signs flashing when we are talking of $30-$40 Million a year specifically being allocated for 3 games which do not form part of the NRL competition....

If they start paying players that much for Origin then the selectors need to be completely neutral and not affliated with any club.

What better way to cheat the cap then a handshake deal they'll be the first picked for origin for the next 5 years!

$100k per player is ludicrous IMO, no more then $25k at the most IMO.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I think that if Origin is split up and earns more, the players should get a bigger pay for the games, but SOO match payments should not be higher then Test match payments. I think that the combined income of the NRL after 2013 should dictate Rep match payments and the salary cap. They all go up accordingly and evenly.

NGR

Juniors
i know this may sound silly, but.. What if the NRL gave a $1million grant to each club to buy a marquee rugby union player...

Sure those rah rah pansies wouldnt handle league, but taking the best talent out of union and into league will attract a lot more interest in the game of league and NRL.. It wouldnt take much for those fickle union supporters to see a few games of league to realize what they are missing out on.. And this would be the quickest way for it to happen on mass..

Just imagine, Dan Carter next to Scott Prince, or Matt Giteau setting up Learoyd Lahrs, that caveman from france next to Anthony Watmough...

fire away

Blind Freddy

Juniors
i know this may sound silly, but.. What if the NRL gave a $1million grant to each club to buy a marquee rugby union player...

Sure those rah rah pansies wouldnt handle league, but taking the best talent out of union and into league will attract a lot more interest in the game of league and NRL.. It wouldnt take much for those fickle union supporters to see a few games of league to realize what they are missing out on.. And this would be the quickest way for it to happen on mass..

Just imagine, Dan Carter next to Scott Prince, or Matt Giteau setting up Learoyd Lahrs, that caveman from france next to Anthony Watmough...

fire away

I don't know who those ARU blokes are you've mentioned, but why waste that much money on players that wouldn't even cut it in the Jim Beam cup?

Last edited:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

fire away

Iv ponderd that too, but would that mean Timana Tahu counts as a Rah Rah player, what about Sailor.

Also, another code tried stealing another codes players and it failed miserably.

If the NRL is going to give each club $1 million, it should be a raise in the salary cap. Id rather keep our players then take Unions. League players are better. The only reason I would want a Union player is for commercial reasons.

Dogs Of War

Coach

fire away

How about we just give each club $1mil to fund their juniors instead? We don't need Union players, just better pathways for the best juniors. Not to mention these are the exact players the AFL will be targetting.

NGR

Juniors
Iv ponderd that too, but would that mean Timana Tahu counts as a Rah Rah player, what about Sailor.

Also, another code tried stealing another codes players and it failed miserably.

If the NRL is going to give each club $1 million, it should be a raise in the salary cap. Id rather keep our players then take Unions. League players are better. The only reason I would want a Union player is for commercial reasons.

thats the only reason i would really want them too... As blind freddy said above, union players would be lucky to stay in 1sts net alone jim beam cup.. But if you allow each club a grant of say $1mil to poach the best of the best who could come across and make it in the NRL.. We could quite possibly destroy rugby union... It wouldnt take much for their fans across the world to realise how boring there game is compared to ours...

this of course wont work unless the cap itself is increased.. i could imagine a lot of p1ssed off players saying they are worth the same as the union guys or just going across to union to replace the ones we steal...

NGR

Juniors
How about we just give each club $1mil to fund their juniors instead? We don't need Union players, just better pathways for the best juniors. Not to mention these are the exact players the AFL will be targetting.

i know our juniors are important.. but im thinking big picture...

would you rather in 20 years time, we still have a mediocre world cup with 2 maybe 3 teams genuinely competing or a world cup with the likes of England, NZ, South Africa, France, Argentina etc actually being formidable opponents?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
thats the only reason i would really want them too... As blind freddy said above, union players would be lucky to stay in 1sts net alone jim beam cup.. But if you allow each club a grant of say $1mil to poach the best of the best who could come across and make it in the NRL.. We could quite possibly destroy rugby union... It wouldnt take much for their fans across the world to realise how boring there game is compared to ours...

this of course wont work unless the cap itself is increased.. i could imagine a lot of p1ssed off players saying they are worth the same as the union guys or just going across to union to replace the ones we steal...

You seem to need a little bit of a history lesson. Taking other codes players WILL NOT kill off the other code. We took Dally Messenger from Union, they are still alive. They took Rogers, Sailor, Tuquri, Cross, Tahu, etc, we are still alive. And im pretty certain, Rugby is no more popular then it was when they took our players.

If you really want to get other codes fans interested, we might aswell sign Christiano Ronaldo from Real Madrid or Tom Brady from New England.

NGR

Juniors
You seem to need a little bit of a history lesson. Taking other codes players WILL NOT kill off the other code. We took Dally Messenger from Union, they are still alive. They took Rogers, Sailor, Tuquri, Cross, Tahu, etc, we are still alive. And im pretty certain, Rugby is no more popular then it was when they took our players.

If you really want to get other codes fans interested, we might aswell sign Christiano Ronaldo from Real Madrid or Tom Brady from New England.

there is a difference.. union took our players to make the australian team stronger and more competitive... We would be taking the best players from all the countries IE South Africa France etc to gain exposure...

Do you really think south africans are not going to watch their best union player play his first game in a new code, whilst at the same time versing NZ dan carter?

Thus i believe, union fans around the world would watch a game very similer to theres that is fast flowing, more attacking, and most importantly not decided by someones goal kicking ability...

As for picking off a soccer star or NFL star.. we need to take baby steps.. expand then consolidate...

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
there is a difference.. union took our players to make the australian team stronger and more competitive... We would be taking the best players from all the countries IE South Africa France etc to gain exposure...

Do you really think south africans are not going to watch their best union player play his first game in a new code, whilst at the same time versing NZ dan carter?

Thus i believe, union fans around the world would watch a game very similer to theres that is fast flowing, more attacking, and most importantly not decided by someones goal kicking ability...

As for picking off a soccer star or NFL star.. we need to take baby steps.. expand then consolidate...

Will you be wathing the AFL when Hunt plays for them?

Latest posts