What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PC Chat

bileduct

Coach
Started Cyberpunk, played it for an hour but have shelved it for now. It’s a decent looking game and I’ve not noticed any of the PC issues people were claiming affected the launch.
Yeah I have done the same. I was really looking forward to it, but then once it arrived and I played around with it a bit I kinda just lost interest. The pedestrian/vehicle AI is extremely poor, I get absolutely swamped with side missions wherever I go, the skills/build system seems overly complex... I just went back to playing pinball sims and Fallout 76.

bileduct

Coach
For sure mate, had a couple mates who still held onto the old belief video games were for kids, couple of hot laps of Bathurst in VR and there like um...that's actually pretty sweet, can you build me one.
What kinda VR system are you using for this?

billygilmore

Juniors
What kinda VR system are you using for this?

That was on my old Lenovo Explorer and 1080ti. I bought the Lenovo cheap with no controllers to see if I'd like VR Sim racing, I was extremely impressed with the extra immersion despite the step down in graphical quality. I've recently upgraded to a HP reverb G2 and rtx 3080, the G2 has been a great step up in visual quality, I would say it's like looking at a decent 1080p monitor now and no SDA.

Getting controllers has been good to, I can finally have a go at a few different genres in VR other than Sim racers, actually been playing a bit of fallout 4 VR the last couple of days and been having a blast, ghouls creeping up on you in dark dungeons is pretty damn scary haha

bileduct

Coach
That was on my old Lenovo Explorer and 1080ti. I bought the Lenovo cheap with no controllers to see if I'd like VR Sim racing, I was extremely impressed with the extra immersion despite the step down in graphical quality. I've recently upgraded to a HP reverb G2 and rtx 3080, the G2 has been a great step up in visual quality, I would say it's like looking at a decent 1080p monitor now and no SDA.

Getting controllers has been good to, I can finally have a go at a few different genres in VR other than Sim racers, actually been playing a bit of fallout 4 VR the last couple of days and been having a blast, ghouls creeping up on you in dark dungeons is pretty damn scary haha
Yeah nice. I was looking at a VR setups recently. Each different manufacturer has it's own weaknesses that kinda put me off committing to any particular one. Where one manufacturer got something right that another didn't, they get something else wrong that was a show stopper. Think I might wait a generation or two and have another look.

Plus I wanted it for Star Wars Squadrons which I ended up being totally shit at.

billygilmore

Juniors
Yeah nice. I was looking at a VR setups recently. Each different manufacturer has it's own weaknesses that kinda put me off committing to any particular one. Where one manufacturer got something right that another didn't, they get something else wrong that was a show stopper. Think I might wait a generation or two and have another look.

Plus I wanted it for Star Wars Squadrons which I ended up being totally shit at.

Yeah totally agree mate on the strengths and weaknesses, no manufacturers have put it all together yet, I mainly went the G2 cause I wanted that clarity but there is a weakness with the hand tracking, not game breaking but it is there and the FOV could be better.

Valve index is probably the closest but it's an expensive bit of kit and I've tried one but the clarity just wasn't quite there for me. The FOV, 144hz panel and tracking with valve knuckles is fantastic though.

nöyd

Staff member
I'm not great at Squadrons either, but the fact that I am literally sitting in the cockpit of a TIE or X-wing completely negates me focusing on my lack of ability, and has me giggling like my inner 10 year old child (who is actually 46).

nöyd

Staff member
My current desktop wallpaper, in-game screenshot from DCS World

cGd6bdf.png

Apey

Staff member
In a couple of games I've been playing lately I've been getting big FPS drops/stuttering when I turn the camera around and presumably my computer struggles to load everything quickly like it normally would. I've also had a problem for a while now with overheating of the CPU (beeping at me on hot Summer days). Wondering if this issue is more likely the GPU, the CPU or rather just related directly to the overheating of the CPU.

I've been procrastinating solving the CPU heating problem because I don't think it's going to be a simple solution like re-applying thermal paste. I'm probably going to have to spend money on a new way cooling system and then I'll probably want to go ahead and upgrade the CPU and GPU and then I'll need a better PSU...

Relevant Specs
MOBO
: Gigabyte H270-HD3-CF
CPU: i7-7700 3.6GHz
RAM: 16gb
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
PSU: Corsair TX-650 V2 80+ Bronze Power Supply
Hard Disk: 1 x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb

The case + PSU are the only remaining parts from when I originally bought this system in 2013. MOBO, CPU, GPU are all from 2017 when the old GPU died in the ass and took my MOBO with it.

Parra Pride

Coach
In a couple of games I've been playing lately I've been getting big FPS drops/stuttering when I turn the camera around and presumably my computer struggles to load everything quickly like it normally would. I've also had a problem for a while now with overheating of the CPU (beeping at me on hot Summer days). Wondering if this issue is more likely the GPU, the CPU or rather just related directly to the overheating of the CPU.

I've been procrastinating solving the CPU heating problem because I don't think it's going to be a simple solution like re-applying thermal paste. I'm probably going to have to spend money on a new way cooling system and then I'll probably want to go ahead and upgrade the CPU and GPU and then I'll need a better PSU...

Relevant Specs
MOBO
: Gigabyte H270-HD3-CF
CPU: i7-7700 3.6GHz
RAM: 16gb
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
PSU: Corsair TX-650 V2 80+ Bronze Power Supply
Hard Disk: 1 x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb

The case + PSU are the only remaining parts from when I originally bought this system in 2013. MOBO, CPU, GPU are all from 2017 when the old GPU died in the ass and took my MOBO with it.

You obviously need to get a Kraken AOI, the gif obviously helps keep the CPU 10 degrees cooler.

bileduct

Coach
Picked up a LG OLED evo C2 55" tv to replace my progressively dying old Samsung LCD yesterday and it is so f**king awesome that I'm gonna buy the 42" version to replace my three Dell 27" 1440p monitors and get back a shitload of desk space.