What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penalties for forward passes

Joe Davola

Juniors
I must have missed the edict, but looks like the refs will be giving penalties for forward passes in 2008. There were two at Brookvale last night.

So are they going to call a short flat pass a forward pass ??...I know it sounds odd but if they are going to call everything on suspicion of being forward then the attacking aspect of the game will be destroyed.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I can cop there being no penalties, tbh id just like to see them get the call right... there were so many forward passes last night in the raiders knights game by both sides that were let through... one shocking one that lead to a try... i mean what do these touchies do?

Mr Saab

Referee
Joe Davola said:
I must have missed the edict, but looks like the refs will be giving penalties for forward passes in 2008. There were two at Brookvale last night.

The commentators said it was cause of Orford backchating the ref after he was pinned throwing the forward pass off the line drop out

Joe Davola

Juniors
Ok, well I wasnt aware of the backchatting. Did that apply to the Sharks no-try forward pass too?

Whilst the rule has always been a deliberate throw forward should be a penalty, for years refs have taken the easy option and just put down a scrum.

Judging "deliberate" or not is a bit problematic. I have always thought a better approach would be to focus on the position of the receiver at the time the ball is passed.

If the receiver is in front of the passer when the ball is passed, then it is a penalty (more for the receiver being OFFSIDE than for the deliberate throw forward), whereas if the ball is passed forward, but the receiver comes from behind the passer then the forward pass should result in a scrum.

From last night's game, Orford's pass to Perry deserved to be penalised because Perry had overrun him and Perry was offside when the ball was passed. Forward passes from the dummy half to a runner who is offside should also be a penalty.

The Sharks no-try forward pass would have been a scrum because whilst the pass was forward, Kearney came from an on-side position to take it.

Of course, it is possible to throw a "deliberate" forward pass, even if the receiver is on-side, but I think for the sake of consistency, I would be happy if such situations just resulted in a scrum notwithstanding it was "deliberate".

[furrycat]

Coach
Raider_69 said:
I can cop there being no penalties, tbh id just like to see them get the call right... there were so many forward passes last night in the raiders knights game by both sides that were let through... one shocking one that lead to a try... i mean what do these touchies do?

... How can you tell when you're sitting at the goal post end of the ground? :lol:

And if you were watching the screen, thats not much better

Raider_69

Post Whore
[furrycat] said:
... How can you tell when you're sitting at the goal post end of the ground? :lol:

And if you were watching the screen, thats not much better

Was watching the screen alot since behind the posts is the WORST seat in a league stadium
Could tell from that there were alot of forward passes going unnoticed. Ask around mate, i dont think you'll find too many disagreeing with me.

Apey

Staff member
Yeah there was a lot of forward passes in Knights game.

Raiders --> Withers
Knights --> MacDougall

Don't think either of those guys threw a pass back all game :lol:

Latest posts