What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penalty Try

Bench
I always thought ref had to be 100% sure thatva player would score a try. Tonight I heard the ref say the player had a chance to score the try.
Good start for the season for the refs

SBD82

Coach
I always thought ref had to be 100% sure thatva player would score a try. Tonight I heard the ref say the player had a chance to score the try.
Good start for the season for the refs
It doesn’t have to be 100%. But you’re right about the ref. Even he was struggling to defend the decision.

watatank

Coach
They decided a penalty try because Katoa was closer to the ball than Dugan who eventually got there first. But that seems dodgy considering the ball was moving quickly and in the opposite direction that Kotoa was moving. Maybe he scores but it's not a straightforward decision like Cordner in Origin. It's probably a sin bin but not a penalty try

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Don’t mind that being given as long as it is always given
Correct...50/50 decision but they dont have to be 100% certain to rule PT. Probability and liklihood he scores is good enough. Did that case meet the test...maybe ...maybe not. Happy to run with it as long as the defending team are not red and white. ;)
Dugans haircut, and his try under the posts called back + Knights winning were the highlights of the game.

This Year?

Immortal
That was no penalty try and last night Melb v Broncos, think it was the first try was a knock on..
So did I and got shut down in the NRL section. Seen those drops called knock on many many times and now I'm confused after the number of people claiming it wasn't a knock on.

possm

Coach
Correct...50/50 decision but they dont have to be 100% certain to rule PT. Probability and liklihood he scores is good enough. Did that case meet the test...maybe ...maybe not. Happy to run with it as long as the defending team are not red and white. ;)
Dugans haircut, and his try under the posts called back + Knights winning were the highlights of the game.

You don't give a penalty try on a 50/50 professional foul. You give a penalty and 10 in the bin.

BLM01

First Grade
Possm..Read my post. I never mentioned professional foul. The powers of be believed that constituted a penalty try based on the act of preventing someone a opportunity in a try scoring situtaion (rule) and I reckon that call could of gone either way. Thats all. The people that it mattered to believe it was not 50/50 they were 100% sure of their interpretation. It does not have to be 100% certainity that someone would score cause that is never a guarantee. If they ruled a professional foul and sin bin I would of said OK too.

Latest posts