What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith calls for fewer teams

EzyG

Juniors
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21990906-5012431,00.html

Penrith calls for fewer teams

• <LI class=byline>Brent Read and Stuart Honeysett
  • June 30, 2007
PENRITH's Glenn Matthews is one of the NRL's less obtrusive chief executives but he fully expects to become the centre of attention after devising a controversial plan to stop the exodus of players to Europe.

Matthews, one of the Panthers' officials who rubber-stamped Craig Gower's release to join French rugby union club Bayonne, believes the NRL must be cut back to 12 clubs, the salary cap lifted to $6-$7million and the governance of the game streamlined.
Knowing full well his plan bears some similarity to that which caused so much pain during the Super League war, Matthews waded in all the same.
He said the competition needed teams in Adelaide and Perth - as it did in the Super League competition before both cities were abandoned - as a means of growing revenue amid concerns the NRL's depth is being eroded by cashed-up British clubs.
"You have to look at the economies of the game," Matthews said.
"At the moment if you want to compete in terms of (England), you have to either get more income or get more efficient.
"One way to increase the amount of money you have got, which would increase the salary cap, is to have less teams and to have the teams national.
"I'm a fan of having teams in Perth and Adelaide."
Matthews stressed he was an advocate of the salary cap but said it needed to rise or more players would be lost overseas.
Gower is believed to be receiving more than $500,000 a season to play union in France, while Melbourne's Matt King is ready to accept a $550,000 a year deal to join England's Super League.
Players based in England also receive tax breaks making it an even more attractive option.
Matthews warned the situation could become more dire next season when the national under-20s competition kicked off, putting the game's next generation in the shop window.
"I'm not saying for one minute we get rid of the salary cap," he said. "I'm not advocating the clubs putting in more money. We need more funding for the game."
North Queensland chief executive Peter Parr said he could understand the argument for fewer teams. However, he believed reducing the number of sides would lead to more players heading overseas.
"Obviously the elite players will be looked after," Parr said. "But you would lose another 100 players.
"There would be less opportunities for young players. You open up a whole range of other problems."

mightypanther

Juniors
What a ridiculous time for anyone from Penrith to be stupid enough to open their mouths about believing that teams should be cut from the comp, when at the moment, we would be the only team that deserved to be dumped from the comp because we suck so badly.

What's he trying to do ? Kill us off completely ? Bloody moron.

He should shut his mouth, mind his own bloody business, and concentrate on trying to fix the huge mess that is called "our team".

Caged Panther

First Grade
mightypanther said:
What a ridiculous time for anyone from Penrith to be stupid enough to open their mouths about believing that teams should be cut from the comp, when at the moment, we would be the only team that deserved to be dumped from the comp because we suck so badly.

What's he trying to do ? Kill us off completely ? Bloody moron.

He should shut his mouth, mind his own bloody business, and concentrate on trying to fix the huge mess that is called "our team".

I don't agree with his plans either but I think that is an overly dramatic response.

mightypanther

Juniors
Caged Panther said:
I don't agree with his plans either but I think that is an overly dramatic response.

With the state our team's in at the moment I'm feeling a little melodramatic.:crazy:

cardinal

Juniors
Ok Fitzy will let you become the Parramatta Panthers we don't want any of your players though.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Fitzy has been trying to merge Parramatta with anyone he can.

We have had the following suggestions:

Balmain
Canterbury
Penrith
Wests
Union

Dave Q

Coach
Obviously Weaves was downstairs having a lentil coffee with Feltis when Matthews snuck this one out.

But at the moment...well I think the Panthers can rest easy about the ESL onslaught.

This comp is still very close and all these ESL fear mongerers are creating a problem out of nothing.

The ESL has limits on the number of overseas players.

The 'erosion' is little more than a few pebbles slipping into a stream.

murraymob

Coach
perhaps we should merge with the circus since it appears we have a clown running the club.We have gone from a powerfull club 2003 to now losing to the broncos 2nd team.Now theres talk of adamson making a come back .I have season tickets in eastern granstand few of the regulars that have been there at least the last 6 years where there last home game next home game is looking bad crowd wise

mxlegend99

Referee
murraymob said:
perhaps we should merge with the circus since it appears we have a clown running the club.We have gone from a powerfull club 2003 to now losing to the broncos 2nd team.Now theres talk of adamson making a come back .I have season tickets in eastern granstand few of the regulars that have been there at least the last 6 years where there last home game next home game is looking bad crowd wise
We may have lost to the Broncos 2nd string team, but that's not as bad as it sounds. Our team was hardly at full strength, and the Broncos 2nd team isn't exactly a bad one.

It's not good by any means. But we did have an extremely young backline, and some young forwards also.

Dave Q

Coach
murraymob said:

You have the second biggest nursery in the whole league and Adamson is going to waltz into first grade like a pig wearing fairy wings.

Is he going to start or play off the bench? Make him captain! Pfft!

So much for putting faith in juniors...

In the meantime, some of your best players are festering in PL as gratutious punishment while another high profile queue-jumper is being carried out the door on a throne made of pure gold.

And you are coming dead last in the comp on your ownsome.

And your CEO wants to waste his time on weird and already tried and failed hypotheticals.

Strange days indeed.

I agree with mob, there is a circus element about it.

Could be worse I suppose.

PEPPSY

Juniors
Our management needs to know when to talk and when not to.
We are going so bad in the comp, the least we need is for our CEO to start talking about sh*t like this.

Latest posts