What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith v roosters

betcats

Referee
I would like to see Turuva and I am sure he will debut this year when injury or perhaps resting players opens up a wing spot, it is Ivans style to select a junior as 18th man a couple times before they debut, gives them a feel for the game day experience of the NRL side, warming up and preparing with the team etc.

Realistically though what is he going to offer off the bench besides injury cover for the backs? Are we going to pull one of our starting backs off just to get him a run? or throw a 19 year old back on somewhere in the pack for their debut?

Smug Panther

First Grade
I would like to see Turuva and I am sure he will debut this year when injury or perhaps resting players opens up a wing spot, it is Ivans style to select a junior as 18th man a couple times before they debut, gives them a feel for the game day experience of the NRL side, warming up and preparing with the team etc.

Realistically though what is he going to offer off the bench besides injury cover for the backs? Are we going to pull one of our starting backs off just to get him a run? or throw a 19 year old back on somewhere in the pack for their debut?
Yeah why not?

betcats

Referee
Yeah why not?

Cause its pointless. We arent going to pull edwards off for him. Tago and May are killing it and the other two backs are origin players. Likely replacing any of them with Turuva makes us weaker in any case so what would be the point of it when our backs dont need a rest? and I very much doubt throwing him on in pack would be good for him Ivan isnt going to do that. He would be on the bench in case of injury which means there would be a good chance he sits on the bench for 80 minutes. He has just extended for a couple years knowing who he had in front of him there is no rush to give him a debut, wait until we rest someone or some injuries open up a spot. At this point changing up a winning side just to hand a 19yo a debut seems silly, his chance will come.

betcats

Referee
I'd be happy to carry Turuva on the bench in case of injury if we had another backrower on the bench. With Turuva id go Turuva, Chris Smith, Leniu and Sorenson. Having Turuva negates the need for a utility in Salmon so id go with the better back rower in Smith but if we just did a straight swap of Turuva for Salmon then we have 3 other guys on the bench who have played all year in the middle. We would have to use Sorenson to give Kikau and Martin a rest which would probably mean playing Kenny and Leniu more minutes in the middle. No problem with Leniu getting more minutes but I do not like the idea of shifting sorensen even for 15 minutes or relying to heavily on Kenny as a running middle forward, Sorenson is the first middle off the bench for us these days and he has never been as good for us on an edge as he is in the middle. Overall it just seems like to many changes right now to carry a 19yo who might not play any minutes on the bench, he would be there in case of injury or possibly to catch a few minutes at the end of games that arent close.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Cause its pointless. We arent going to pull edwards off for him. Tago and May are killing it and the other two backs are origin players. Likely replacing any of them with Turuva makes us weaker in any case so what would be the point of it when our backs dont need a rest? and I very much doubt throwing him on in pack would be good for him Ivan isnt going to do that. He would be on the bench in case of injury which means there would be a good chance he sits on the bench for 80 minutes. He has just extended for a couple years knowing who he had in front of him there is no rush to give him a debut, wait until we rest someone or some injuries open up a spot. At this point changing up a winning side just to hand a 19yo a debut seems silly, his chance will come.
Not just him, that spot should be rotating. We are so far ahead of the pack it's ridiculous

GongPanther

Referee
That took some searching. Surprised Staines got chased down like that. Otherwise nice to see him try and genuinely bust the line.

Vs Roosters we should be right. They'll probably be more desperate than most though seeing as they can only afford a few more losses before missing the 8 for the first time since 2016 (I think). We have too much quality though.
Thing is, you have to watch it on Facebook. Do a search in there for NSWRL and it should be there.

GongPanther

Referee

Been thinking since the naming of the side in who could he will cover for.

GongPanther

Referee
Lost Jersey Flegg 14-0. Won reserves V Norths 24-20.

Panthers 24:
  • Daeon Amituanai 33'
  • Daeon Amituanai 42'
  • Sunia Turuva 45'
  • Thomas Jenkins 57'
  • Goals:
  • Kurt Falls 34'
  • Kurt Falls 44'
  • Kurt Falls 47'
  • Kurt Falls 58'
Norths 20:
  • Toa Mata'afa 20'