What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith v Souths semi final

GongPanther

Referee
Cleary’s press conference was awful; still losing the mind games.
I'm convinced that the squad has become mentally soft. There was a discipline about our team. And for some reason, when the opposition intimidates us either defensively, or when the other side is being a gobshite, we easily tend to get thrown off our game.

Some players need to learn to turn the other cheek and not bite back.

Exsilium

First Grade
I'm convinced that the squad has become mentally soft. There was a discipline about our team. And for some reason, when the opposition intimidates us either defensively, or when the other side is being a gobshite, we easily tend to get thrown off our game.

Some players need to learn to turn the other cheek and not bite back.

We have no leaders.

We undervalued guys like James Tamou

GongPanther

Referee
As Ivan said in the press conference - they got plenty of leg ups including a pretend crusher tackle. I did notice that Souths had somebody in the Ref's ear all night giving him instructions...
Notice the Souths staff member on the dead ball line behind Souths in the 2nd half? Wonder if he was directing the defensive line?

murraymob

First Grade
Notice the Souths staff member on the dead ball line behind Souths in the 2nd half? Wonder if he was directing the defensive line?
Our attack did not challenge there line .we kept using crash plays or going wide to a forwArd easy to defend Souths could have put a marching band out there to help them defend it would not have made a difference
Our forwards pack has been dominated since origin by everyone even a reserve grade parra pack

lsta5838

Juniors
Cograts to souths, can we a plan, bashed us, and didn't relent all night. I was certain we would roll them in the 2nd half. Their forwards really came to play and stepped up... sadly unlike ours.

The proof will be in the pudding if it was the right call to rest Leota and Edwards, but I kind of think we though we were just going to win this game.

Thought we could have used more of Spencer's energy, even if he starts for the 1st 10-15 mins of each half?

Honestly a few baffling calls that never allowed ups to get momentum. Some that would not be call in regular season, let alone finals. Personal opinion but I can't understand how that ref is the top in our game? To quote Gus, it is not about them!

We also seemed to lack a bit of confidence, I think we bombed 3 or 4 tries that if we pinned the ears back, we would have scored. Also very disappointing Yeo spotted some holes in the souths line (I think exact same thing he did last year to get get Edwards across the line and us on our way to the GF against souths - palming off Cook in the process too).

Glad we get a 2nd chance and hopefully are done with our 'nuffie' moves and can get our mojo/energy back.

Had a restless night but I think we can still win. We have the team that can do it if we just rip in for 3 more games and continue on our 'upward trajectory' but we need to find it this week!

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
In the harsh light of day - we were simply terrible with ball in hand. We had no go forward, no creativity, no variation, no clue. Even in the last 10 minutes, when we were desperate, our only productive idea was to give it to Kikau and hope.

If people want Edwards out because he strangles the attack, thats one thing; but there is absolutely no evidence that Crichton (or Staines) offer anything better in that department. Do we even have a ball playing fullback at the club?

martielang

Bench
We really missed edwards getting us on the front foot with his kick returns. He attacks the ball and generally gets between defenders giving us some momentum for To’o and co to work off.

Crichton jogging cross field and being dominated by 3 defenders crushed any momentum we had to start the set.

Nealo 12

Bench
Dumb penalties , bad options weird that we didn't have any cohesion at all . Played like a pack of strangers.

Must be a truck load of neck brace's on the way to souffs today

martielang

Bench
Only a minor thing as well but when Arrow and Sua went after us, did one player try stand up to them? Where was the aggression and unity from the last 18 months.

hindy111

Post Whore
Forget game plans. It starts in the middle.
To'o was ragdolled all game. JFH and Eisunhuth where belted. You had no go forward. The rest doesn't matter. There was no space cause the pack and wingers didn't create any.

Staines may have talent. He may become a great fullback. But NRL is a physical game. If you think he is a better choice then Naden or Tago or even young May your crazy. He could make it as a fullback. He won't as a winger.
I wouldn't of picked over Naden

Whino

Bench
The son ask his Father in the TV series Succession "do you think I have what it takes to take over from you one day"?
The father looks at him and says "No son, to succeed in this business you have to be a killer. You are not"
I think we have the talent but we are not ruthless enough. We need a harder edge.