What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith v Souths semi final

The_Frog

First Grade
We didn’t fire a shot last night. I think a few people/journalists would have completely opposite views to what they had based on that 80 mins.
This is typical of media. They talk based on emotion and recent memory. Fans are even worse. They were writing the Storm off a couple of weeks ago.

Those whose livelihoods depend on it have eased us out to $4.00 but we're still second favourite.

After all this frustration, the NFL season starts tonight.

If you think the Panthers are a team that has a stacked roster and great culture, but that is held back by a conservative coach who likes to keep things close in the early game before winning at the end, then let me introduce you to the mighty Seattle Seahawks.

Supporting these two teams is the reason that I have an 80 year-old-heart in a 40-year-old-body.

Smug Panther

First Grade
After all this frustration, the NFL season starts tonight.

If you think the Panthers are a team that has a stacked roster and great culture, but that is held back by a conservative coach who likes to keep things close in the early game before winning at the end, then let me introduce you to the mighty Seattle Seahawks.

Supporting these two teams is the reason that I have an 80 year-old-heart in a 40-year-old-body.
Steelers or GTFO

The_Frog

First Grade
Not a fan of having a bench spot to cover only one position on the field who is normally a 70-80 player. Kenny is a hooker or nothing. Has very little ability in any other role which is why I prefer May if not injured.
He's a tackling machine but only made 14 in 26 minutes which is about half what you'd expect. Maybe he was instructed to take it up, the coach believing we needed some go forward, which he did 3 times for 33 metres.

The Realist

Juniors
He's a tackling machine but only made 14 in 26 minutes which is about half what you'd expect. Maybe he was instructed to take it up, the coach believing we needed some go forward, which he did 3 times for 33 metres.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but Tago would have offered so much more off the bench.

Many other so called bench Hookers either offer attacking spark, or can contribute fairly well in difference positions. Kenny doesn't seem to have it in him to be anything but a defensive hooker.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but Tago would have offered so much more off the bench.

Many other so called bench Hookers either offer attacking spark, or can contribute fairly well in difference positions. Kenny doesn't seem to have it in him to be anything but a defensive hooker.
Are you Tago’s agent?

The Realist

Juniors
Are you Tago’s agent?

Nah mate. Just a bloke who has been desperate for his club to win a premiership over the last 18 years. I am just advocating for what I feel would give us the best chance.

He has been dynamite everytime he has played in the centres for us yet IC refuses to use him unless virtually forced.

Just look at Parra now with their young centre. 4 games in now and a real weapon. Brad Arthur has weaknesses as a coach, but being over conservative and 2nd guessing himself aren't some of them. Despite numerous injuries and disruptions their backline looks settled going into our game with us. We don't.

luv my panfas

Juniors
It was weird. All season long one of our plays has been Yeo and Fish passing back towards the ruck to suck in defenders. None of that last night. Some of the few times we went straight behind the ruck with a bit of speed we had success and rolled through them.

Last night the game plan just seemed so ordinary and we were dominated. Need to go back to what we were doing previously.
Exactly this Put Crighton back in the bloody centres Momo on the wing Dylan up the back and lets get back to attacking both sides We can tackle we no that but we can also still win the comp LET IT RIP I SAY

Crashtest

Juniors
Do you honestly believe Ivan hasn't shit the bed and second guessed what works in finals games?
What does that even mean? Last year he won 2 finals games from 2, against Robinson and Bennet. Excluding the grand final, but you said finals games.

This year, thus far he has lost one game by a f**king 6 points. I think we should tar and feather the bastard for that.....not!

And your point is?

soc123_au

Staff member
What does that even mean? Last year he won 2 finals games from 2, against Robinson and Bennet. Excluding the grand final, but you said finals games.

This year, thus far he has lost one game by a f**king 6 points. I think we should tar and feather the bastard for that.....not!

And your point is?
My point is we go from a clinical side who rarely looks like losing to a shaky looking side that forgets everything that got us there and tries to play a different game.

We did win those finals game last year, but convincing victories they were not. GF is still a finals game and the tinkering with the side was sheer panic from Ivan.

Ivan has done a great job for the most part, but to think he doesn't make odd decisions in the end of season games boggles the mind.

Whino

Bench
I agree with the valid points that we haven't played our best football over the finals period. The small sample size of last year and this year.
Last year we did enough to make to the GF. The Roosters were thrashed by Souths the week before and in my opinion running on fumes.
We were erratic in that game. A bag of nerves. Slightly better against Souths 2 weeks later.
The GF was easily our worst performance.
This year against Souths we were disappointing and missed our chances. We allowed them to dictate terms.
My long winded point is. The sides that usually win the GF. Chug along all year and once Origin is over start to put the foot down.
Once the finals start the eventual premiers usually go up a gear and play faultless football.
The Roosters are a perfect template for when they went back to back. They lifted at the right times.
We didn't last year and haven’t this year.

DinkyDi

Juniors
I agree with the valid points that we haven't played our best football over the finals period. The small sample size of last year and this year.
Last year we did enough to make to the GF. The Roosters were thrashed by Souths the week before and in my opinion running on fumes.
We were erratic in that game. A bag of nerves. Slightly better against Souths 2 weeks later.
The GF was easily our worst performance.
This year against Souths we were disappointing and missed our chances. We allowed them to dictate terms.
My long winded point is. The sides that usually win the GF. Chug along all year and once Origin is over start to put the foot down.
Once the finals start the eventual premiers usually go up a gear and play faultless football.
The Roosters are a perfect template for when they went back to back. They lifted at the right times.
We didn't last year and haven’t this year.
Not yet anyway.

Bodhi

Juniors
I think everyone - players, coaching staff, us fans - were reading the news a bit too much and took the QF for granted.
Nath and JFH were a bit off, don't think they will have two games in succession like that. Having Leota back will surely help.
Uncharacteristic errors from us. Again, don't think we will repeat them in back to back games.
For all his shortcomings, Edwards is our best option at FB. His support play was sorely missed.
Luai is a concern though. Will take a huge load off Nath's shoulders if he can get back to per-Origin form
Cowboys won the comp after losing their QF in 2015 so there is a recent precedent, no reason why we can't do it either. We finished equal 1st, let's not forget. Beware the wounded Panther!!

Kilkenny

Coach
It goes without saying it was a disappointing performance with a number of players well short of there best.

At the same time, we created half a dozen pretty good opportunities to score and we failed to capitalise due mostly to our own poor execution. Had we of taken one or more of our opportunities it is an entirely different game and in all likelihood we would or could have won.

We got what we deserved, see what unfolds against the Eels.

Fangs

Coach
I think everyone - players, coaching staff, us fans - were reading the news a bit too much and took the QF for granted.
Nath and JFH were a bit off, don't think they will have two games in succession like that. Having Leota back will surely help.
Uncharacteristic errors from us. Again, don't think we will repeat them in back to back games.
For all his shortcomings, Edwards is our best option at FB. His support play was sorely missed.
Luai is a concern though. Will take a huge load off Nath's shoulders if he can get back to per-Origin form
Cowboys won the comp after losing their QF in 2015 so there is a recent precedent, no reason why we can't do it either. We finished equal 1st, let's not forget. Beware the wounded Panther!!

Watching the game again I agree Nathan was off. He has looked extremely composed and focused in the back half of the year, even in the pre-game before coming on the field. It wasn't a bad game but far from his usual standard.

We tried to pull way too much bullshit in the final 20 minutes. If we kept it simple and handled well we probably get them.

Bodhi

Juniors
Watching the game again I agree Nathan was off. He has looked extremely composed and focused in the back half of the year, even in the pre-game before coming on the field. It wasn't a bad game but far from his usual standard.
My thoughts exactly. Never seen Nath so rushed and flustered in a long time. Credit to Souths, their defence was unreal, didn't give Nath the time to plan and choose his next play.

The_Frog

First Grade
2018 they timed it to perfection. Not so much 2019, which they only won on the back of a refereeing error. Always an asterisk premiership for mine that one.