What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perez's opinion on NRL expansion and the future of the NRL.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Looks to me like the only way the NRL will expand in size and into “new” territories is if they are backed into a corner and forced into it. For example if new teams from North America and France see a surge in investment for the super league competition and super league clubs in terms of better TV deals, increased sponsorship and the raising of the salary cap through rich private backers allowing clubs to sign the biggest NRL stars.

Yep, this is my read too...

RL has stagnated since QRL lost to NSWRL and SL agreed to merge. It used to be an arms race, now we are sitting complacent at the top.

I really hope SL hits it big with the US/Continental teams and starts stealing all of the NRLs best.

Stallion

First Grade
Yep, this is my read too...

RL has stagnated since QRL lost to NSWRL and SL agreed to merge. It used to be an arms race, now we are sitting complacent at the top.

I really hope SL hits it big with the US/Continental teams and starts stealing all of the NRLs best.

Genuine growth can be achieved without losing the farm! Additional clubs are the way to go!
Perez is not privy to the established cultural supporter bases that are built from existing clubs in the only major western nation that has rugby league as a major football code.
I admire Perez but Australia is a different scenario. Remembering had it not been for the untimely "super league" fiasco, this rugby league competition would have been dominating the Australia wide sports market already without the damaging and disrespectful white anting chatter we are witnessing.

The Great Dane

First Grade

If things keep going the way they are then it’s basically inevitable that Super League will totally out pace the NRL in the next 25 - 30 years.

Frankly that is probably an extremely good thing for the game as well.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
If things keep going the way they are then it’s basically inevitable that Super League will totally out pace the NRL in the next 25 - 30.

Frankly that is probably an extremely good thing for the game as well.

Power to them. Hope it happens. I'm hearing that the northern hemisphere game is struggling? Hope it's wrong. But things like charging Catalans 500000pounds to compete in the superleague for their Challenge Cup title defence doesn't seem to indicate things are all rosy over there. And trust me I'm all for the Wolfpack, Catalans and other growth clubs in rugbyleague . May it grow well and prosper greatly!