What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Permanent fixtures

PARRA_FAN

Coach
After the two games at ANZ on the Easter Weekend, it looks like again we're heading for more big crowds on ANZAC Day.

The NRL should pen these matches as a permanent fixtures on these days.

Good Friday, Bulldogs Vs Souths
Easter Monday, Eels Vs Tigers
ANZAC Day, Dragons Vs Roosters
ANZAC Day night, Storm Vs Warriors

Both ANZ Stadium crowds got 40,000+, and it looks like both ANZAC Day games will be sell outs, or close to it.

What other clashes should be played on a permanent basis?

ek999

First Grade
3 of those already are permanent fixtures and after today hopefully the other will be too. Just need one on the Queens Birthday long weekend too

BunniesMan

Immortal
I'd like to see the 2 teams that ruled the SCG, Souths and Dragons, have regular games there.

And Souths v Eels should be Queens Birthday.

Saint Doc

Coach
After the two games at ANZ on the Easter Weekend, it looks like again we're heading for more big crowds on ANZAC Day.

Both ANZ Stadium crowds got 40,000+, and it looks like both ANZAC Day games will be sell outs, or close to it.

I've got a great idea. If it's a draw at the end of 80 minutes, we play 10 mins extra time, but first to score wins. I think I have a great idea. What are some other new rules we can bring in?

Valheru

Coach
Ideally all teams would have a permanent fixture they can call on to bump their average every 2 years.

So far we have:

Souths/dogs (Good Friday)
Eels/Tigers (Easter Monday) – make this permanent
Roosters/Dragons (ANZAC Day)
Storm/Warriors (ANZAC DAY – this should be rotated, give the warriors a turn to host)

June long weekend is another opportunity as is Thursday before Good Friday and the season opener. For the record I think roosters/souths is a strong enough rivalry to not be the opener, it is a waste.

BranVan3000

Coach
I'd like to keep Broncos vs Souths ANZAC at Suncorp a permanent fixture. Lots of Rabbitohs fans up there and getting a sellout game at Suncorp every year would be awesome

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Screw this permanent nonsense,Doggies and Eels need to play each other on the Easter weekend,Souffs and Tigers can play each other on that weekend

johnny plath

Juniors
I think that as military town, Townsville hosting an ANZAC day clash every year would have some merit. Get some sort of promotion happening for current and ex-servicemen to come to the game would surely get a pretty good response. Pretty good weather this time of the year too, so could be day or evening clash.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Screw this permanent nonsense,Doggies and Eels need to play each other on the Easter weekend,Souffs and Tigers can play each other on that weekend

I actually don't agree. Although I would love to play the Eels/Tigers, I think tinkering with these too much can take away some of the appeal of the fixtures. Maybe just have the clubs 4 clubs play each other the week /beforeafter as well (So keep the current fixtures, and then say the Dogs vs Eels, Tigers vs Souths the next week) using that momentum of the Easter weekend to possibly create another big crowd. It's not like the Easter Show isn't on for 2 weekends.

It's pretty silly that the NRL didn't schedule a game at ANZ over the other weekend of the Easter Show, as we are seeing big crowds for these games. So the other weekend of the Easter show you could have one Saturday 4pm game, and one Sunday 4pm game (for live Sunday footy!).

ByRd

First Grade
I dont agree at all with rotating the teams, these games mean something because they become annual fixtures, you have seen with the Dogs/Rabbits & storm/warriors on good friday as well as dragons/roosters on ANZAC day. If you play around with them, they lose that appeal.

Why do we always want to change something, it's working fine the way it is. Also, they must keep Eels/Tigers as a permanent fixture on the monday.

And for the queens bday public holiday, maybe play the bulldogs/eels or bulldogs/dragons on that day, thats 40k without even trying.

undertaker

Coach

:clap:Great post.

I 100% support your concept of 'permanent fixtures' on certain dates. The only one that is missing is a Monday afternoon Queen's Birthday Holiday match. Who would play, I don't know.

Also, I'd rotate the venue of the Storm vs Warriors match and give Eden Park a go. I'm sure they can get a big crowd on Anzac Day at 2pm (4pm NZ time), we have two day game blockbusters on Anzac Day and opens up the option of a 3rd Anzac clash at Suncorp Stadium. Will be interesting to see what the Anzac schedule will be next year on a Saturday.

undertaker

Coach
I'd like to see the 2 teams that ruled the SCG, Souths and Dragons, have regular games there.

Disagree. It should be two teams who aren't already involved in one of those blockbuster public holiday matches.

Izz

Bench
I've got a great idea. If it's a draw at the end of 80 minutes, we play 10 mins extra time, but first to score wins. I think I have a great idea. What are some other new rules we can bring in?
Bit random there, Doc. :lol:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
:clap:Great post.

I 100% support your concept of 'permanent fixtures' on certain dates. The only one that is missing is a Monday afternoon Queen's Birthday Holiday match. Who would play, I don't know.

Also, I'd rotate the venue of the Storm vs Warriors match and give Eden Park a go. I'm sure they can get a big crowd on Anzac Day at 2pm (4pm NZ time), we have two day game blockbusters on Anzac Day and opens up the option of a 3rd Anzac clash at Suncorp Stadium. Will be interesting to see what the Anzac schedule will be next year on a Saturday.

It will be interesting given that Ch 9 has the Roosters/Dragons game for the next few years. Will they drop one Friday game that weekend?

firechild

First Grade

Good idea, play the charity shield at the SCG each year. No way should Souffs get 4 high profile games (round 1 vs Roosters being the 4th) during the season proper when many teams get none.