What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Personal trainers

nöyd

Staff member
necessary?

i know i can make the effort, i just cant maintain focus or enthusiasm so i need a motivator of sorts

thoughts?

dogslife

Coach
Try and find someone to go to the gym with. Unless of course you're loaded and can afford to pay for someone to motivate you

Thomas

First Grade
I have a PT session once every 3 months or so with a guy at my gym. He's a qualified weightlifting coach so I get him to check my form and maybe teach me some new exercises.

Danish

Referee
Whatever you need to do to keep motivated and maintain an exercise regime is worth it IMO. If you need a personal trainer to keep you motivated then by all means go ahead.

If it were me, purely from a financial perspective I would eventually try and wean myself off of it though by slowly reducing the amount of PT sessions until you no longer need them. PTs cost an absolute bomb and I honestly couldn't justify paying for one regularly.

aqua_duck

Coach
I think a PT is more useful for getting you on the right track, i.e showing you what needs to be done and maybe once a fortnight or something like that just to track progress and that kind of thing

DoggiesBroke

Juniors
Try and find someone to go to the gym with. Unless of course you're loaded and can afford to pay for someone to motivate you

You'd want to make sure you find the right person and not someone who is going to be a distraction.

I was at the gym last night. There were two groups of two guys who funnily enough all knew each other. One group was seriously committed to their session. They were spotting each other, kept up a good pace and didn't f**k around. The other group were complete shite in comparison. In between exercises they were browsing on their phones and while they were performing exercises they were cracking jokes. You could hear them laughing for the whole duration of their workout from the other side of the gym.

Needless to say the two that were committed to their workout were in far better physical condition than the two that weren't.

Fire

First Grade
I was talking to a mate the other day, and he was telling me that PT's are a status thing sometimes. So people can say "I've got a personal trainer" lol. Blew my f**king mind. I always thought it meant you're a dumb merkin (no offence OP).

OP, if you do decide to get a personal trainer, get a good looking female. You will train 1000% harder, guaranteed.

shaggs

Coach
OP, if you do decide to get a personal trainer, get a good looking female. You will train 1000% harder, guaranteed.

In one way or another.

Seriously though, most personal trainers aren't worth a pinch of sh1t.

They are useful if you need to lose weight. Muscle, fat it all must go. As long as the scales go down then they earn their money.

If your goal is to get strong and bulk up, see a strength coach. Get an assessment, get a program and diet, then go back once a month or fortnight to check your progress. If you cheat you are only cheating yourself. That way u have a monthly goal to work towards. Increase your bench, squat etc.

Collateral

Coach
Becoming a personal trainer is an awesome way to get laid by middle aged rich eastern suburbs/lower north shore housewives...apart from that I dont think they have a real use do they?

It shits me when I see personal trainers giving instructions while they are texting away on their phone.

nöyd

Staff member
thanks guys

seems they're more trouble than theyre worth

i like the idea of a strength coach though

Joker's Wild

Coach
Like any job in any industry, you get good ones and bad ones.

If you need a guiding hand and someone there to keep you from slacking off then its probably worth the dosh. Find a good PT who suits you and has a good rep with other people who train with them. Some offer discounted rates or "your 1st session free" so take advantage of this and try some out.

They certainly aren't useless as some here are suggesting but you need to do your due diligence before committing

shaggs

Coach
Yeah I came across a bit strong.

As JW said there are good ones and then there are bad ones.
I know a few who have done there 8 week course, and now claim to be an expert on all areas.

JW was right in saying find one with a good and try them out.

Fire

First Grade
Yeah I came across a bit strong.

As JW said there are good ones and then there are bad ones.
I know a few who have done there 8 week course, and now claim to be an expert on all areas.

JW was right in saying find one with a good and try them out.

A hot female trainer PT.

A hot female trainer PT.

You will train the house down mate.

Good luck.

p.s. As JW said, make sure she is appropriately qualified.

WYD

Juniors
swiss%20ball%202_0.jpg

Aragorn

First Grade
Becoming a personal trainer is an awesome way to get laid by middle aged rich eastern suburbs/lower north shore housewives...apart from that I dont think they have a real use do they?

yeah, that is so true.

unless you`re a middle aged housewife looking to get laid, i wouldnt bother.....

To pump myself up at the gym I listen to Rage against the Machine or some other heavy/angry music then off i go.... bulls on parade!!!!!!

Snoochies

First Grade
When I worked in a gym we steared clear of anyone who came from the Australian Institute of Fitness. People pay $8000 for an 8 week course and come away as a fully qualified PT. They walk out knowing a one size fits all type program but are very chirpy and bubbly and make you feel like you can achieve anything. It's just an 8 week sales presentation.

shaggs

Coach
^ this is what pisses me off about the industry.

Tell people what they want to hear and they will keep paying.

Patorick

Staff member
I was talking to a mate the other day, and he was telling me that PT's are a status thing sometimes. So people can say "I've got a personal trainer" lol. Blew my f**king mind. I always thought it meant you're a dumb merkin (no offence OP).

;-)

skeepe

Immortal
I had a trainer for a while. Seemed more interested in getting me to continually commit to more groups of sessions than show me good form and so on.

Had much better results just doing it myself.