What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

docbrown

Coach
The Dolphins were selected because:-

- They were the most well supported, well run and successful QRL team of the last 40 years
- A existing large supporter base
- Located within a large growth corridor
-Didn't rely on the construction of large stadium
The NRL also did a marketing survey when Gold Coast were looking for names that showed that the Dolphins was the most popular brand amongst children.

What would you suggest be done in season 2023 to correct the "wrongs" of 1988?
It cannot be fixed. All we can do is mitigate the damage.

Announce the West Coast Pirates will be the 18th team and will enter in 2027.

Announce a third team for Brisbane to enter before 2033. The media attention and speculation this will draw to our game over the next decade will be priceless.

Dolphins rebrand as Moreton Bay Dolphins and wear red, white and silver.

Behind the scenes there should be plans to boot the Sharks and Tigers when the current broadcast deal expires in 2027. Neither club will ever be sustainable and their licences will be up for renewal by then. The old Balmain contingent of fans will be dead within 20 or 30 years. Having the Dolphins competing since 2023 and the Pirates ready to enter in 2027 will give the ARLC some leverage when greedy clubs demand more money in exchange for them signing a loyalty agreement with the ARLC. The great thing about this is the ARLC can come out of this smelling like roses because the clubs pull this shit every five years.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Meanwhile, NRLW still can’t sign player contracts… Yeah no deadline needed at all for professionally run company … what was it some fool called the NRL? An “elite organisation”… sure it is
What's the hurry?

If you don't like it f**k off back to afl.

mongoose

Coach
Wow you really wrote an essay there. I’m no going to repeat it. I will say the only people thinking your way are obsessive rugby league tragics on Internet forums. No normal rugby league fan is going ‘I’m from Logan and Broncos are from Red Hill so I cant support them.’ It’s nonsense. People have 4 reactions: they like the Broncos, they hate them, they’re indifferent to them or they don’t watch league for various reasons. Dolphins are going to get their fans from the last 3.

You’re focused on a north vs south rivalry. Broncos vs Dolphins will be a neighbour vs neighbour rivalry. It will be father vs son, mother vs daughter rivalry. Households will be divided. That’s how you get people talking. In 15 years the Dolphins will be up there with the Broncos as a nation brand rugby league club. Even their new supporters will mostly forget that they came from Redcliffe. They won’t be view as a north or south team but as a Queensland team.

As for the AFL that you’ve got a hard on for, I’d pick the Dolphins as a brand over the Suns or Giants. Why? Kids like Dolphins. Kids, in particular girls, will follow the club simply because they like the mascot. Those are your adult fans in 15 years. Now compare that to asking a kid to explain what the hell GWS means and where it is…
yeah I wouldn't be using GWS as an example of a smart expansion decision.... or the Suns for that matter.

Storm80

Juniors
Wow you really wrote an essay there. I’m no going to repeat it. I will say the only people thinking your way are obsessive rugby league tragics on Internet forums. No normal rugby league fan is going ‘I’m from Logan and Broncos are from Red Hill so I cant support them.’ It’s nonsense. People have 4 reactions: they like the Broncos, they hate them, they’re indifferent to them or they don’t watch league for various reasons. Dolphins are going to get their fans from the last 3.

You’re focused on a north vs south rivalry. Broncos vs Dolphins will be a neighbour vs neighbour rivalry. It will be father vs son, mother vs daughter rivalry. Households will be divided. That’s how you get people talking. In 15 years the Dolphins will be up there with the Broncos as a nation brand rugby league club. Even their new supporters will mostly forget that they came from Redcliffe. They won’t be view as a north or south team but as a Queensland team.

As for the AFL that you’ve got a hard on for, I’d pick the Dolphins as a brand over the Suns or Giants. Why? Kids like Dolphins. Kids, in particular girls, will follow the club simply because they like the mascot. Those are your adult fans in 15 years. Now compare that to asking a kid to explain what the hell GWS means and where it is…
Holy moly is this they biggest load of shit I’ve ever read hahaha champagne comedy.

Yep location means nothing at all. No one likes identifying with a region their from. You always put a new club on the northern fringes of a city away from where the biggest population is so you??.

People who hate the broncos in SEQ and those indifferent to them - guess what they usually go for titans, cowboys or follow the storm or Canberra or a Sydney club. Why would they change allegiance to the dolphins? Especially if they don’t live within 60km of Redcliffe? You know many Penrith fans that grew up in bondi do you??

I have to write essays in an attempt to enlighten the luddites on here about the simple facts of SE Queensland

Storm80

Juniors
What's the hurry?

If you don't like it f**k off back to afl.
Hahaha I know I’ve won an argument when pea brained moron like yourself stamps it’s feet and types “f**k off back to afl” haha

There’s a massive hurry. NRLW players should be able to sign contracts and move to their new clubs, start training and get settled in new locations. What idiot can’t comprehend that drawing out the CBA is a good result for the game?

docbrown

Coach
It cannot be fixed. All we can do is mitigate the damage.

Announce the West Coast Pirates will be the 18th team and will enter in 2027.

Announce a third team for Brisbane to enter before 2033. The media attention and speculation this will draw to our game over the next decade will be priceless.

Dolphins rebrand as Moreton Bay Dolphins and wear red, white and silver.

Behind the scenes there should be plans to boot the Sharks and Tigers when the current broadcast deal expires in 2027. Neither club will ever be sustainable and their licences will be up for renewal by then. The old Balmain contingent of fans will be dead within 20 or 30 years. Having the Dolphins competing since 2023 and the Pirates ready to enter in 2027 will give the ARLC some leverage when greedy clubs demand more money in exchange for them signing a loyalty agreement with the ARLC. The great thing about this is the ARLC can come out of this smelling like roses because the clubs pull this shit every five years.
I see you’re only killing off 2 and not 5 Sydney clubs tonight. Are you feeling okay?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Hahaha I know I’ve won an argument when Lea brained moron like yourself stamps it’s feet and types “f**k off back to afl” haha

There’s a massive hurry. NRLW players should be able to sign contracts and move to their new clubs, start training and get settled in new locations. What idiot can’t comprehend that drawing out the CBA is a good result for the game?
Wtf is a Lea Brain?

The season doesn't start until July, I think there's plenty of time Lea Brain.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
And there it is … you know you won an argument against a knuckle dragging moron when the homophobic insults start flying. You pathetic sad loser
Only a Victorian would interpret my comment as homophobic.

There's no argument, it's plain to see you're an afl loving pin head.

docbrown

Coach
Holy moly is this they biggest load of shit I’ve ever read hahaha champagne comedy.

Yep location means nothing at all. No one likes identifying with a region their from. You always put a new club on the northern fringes of a city away from where the biggest population is so you??.

People who hate the broncos in SEQ and those indifferent to them - guess what they usually go for titans, cowboys or follow the storm or Canberra or a Sydney club. Why would they change allegiance to the dolphins? Especially if they don’t live within 60km of Redcliffe? You know many Penrith fans that grew up in bondi do you??

I have to write essays in an attempt to enlighten the luddites on here about the simple facts of SE Queensland
They’re playing most of their games out of Lang Park. People won’t care that “Oh no, they’re not called the Logan Dolphins and they used to come from Redcliffe so I can’t support them.” They’re thinking can I get to Lang Park to watch them beat the Broncos?

Those people supporting Titans, Cowboys, Storm, Raiders and Sydney clubs now have a team that aren’t the Broncos that they can now more easily get to go see in person. People will switch club allegiances for that.

BTW you write essays because of your own ego and nothing more.

Storm80

Juniors
yeah I wouldn't be using GWS as an example of a smart expansion decision.... or the Suns for that matter.
How so?

It’s a 50 year plan in foreign territory. AFL would not have been able to increase tv rights by $500m over NRL in 2025-27 without both Suns and Giants.

It’s almost like AFL actually have something NRL could only dream of… you know a long term vision, good governance frameworks and solid strategic decision making.

So I guess smart expansion and professional negotiations with tv stations paid off within 15 years of the clubs creation.

But but but… revenue… but but but … wagering in USA… but but but … one off games in the USA… but but but … we put a team in Redcliffe instead of sth of the river…

Storm80

Juniors
They’re playing most of their games out of Lang Park. People won’t care that “Oh no, they’re not called the Logan Dolphins and they used to come from Redcliffe so I can’t support them.” They’re thinking can I get to Lang Park to watch them beat the Broncos?

Those people supporting Titans, Cowboys, Storm, Raiders and Sydney clubs now have a team that aren’t the Broncos that they can now more easily get to go see in person. People will switch club allegiances for that.

BTW you write essays because of your own ego and nothing more.
Haha how symplistic.

Why would anyone that supports Canberra or Melbourne or Sharks etc in South Brisbane bother to go to a regular game of the dolphins?

Except perhaps when they play their own team. Maybe if they start winning premierships, but they are a very long way off that.

You seriously think people in Brisbane will automatically have an allegence to a Redcliffe based team? Not a chance in hell. They will get some fans in the north. They won’t get many in the south cause they identify as Brisbane not Morton bay, Redcliffe or Sunshine Coast.

Again, I have to write at length due to explain the dynamics in SE Queensland. Cause all you Sydney numbnuts don’t have a clue about it.

Storm80

Juniors
I'm too old to argue with cult followers from backwardsville Victoria.

Although I do wonder what jammy device would autocorrect Pea to Lea.
Well jog on ya twat. This whole thread is about critiquing the current NRL chairman and his administration.

If you can’t handle people pointing out the negatives in recent NRL decision making why come on this thread you dopey idiot