What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Perth Red

Post Whore
2 sides? Jesus the RLPA has been attempting to negotiate for over a year. It’s the NRL that won’t come to the table.

They simply don’t have the expertise to negotiate the CBA. That’s why they hired the ex channel 9 CEO - cause the current NRL administration has never negotiated a CBA.

It’s a hot mess due to NRL incompetence. Pure and simply.

I’ll never understand why any league fan would go to bat for administrators against players - especially considering how poor the NRL administration has been for 25 years
This is the org that tried to dud the players out of $25million by giving them incorrect information. Is it any surprise the negotiations are not going well?

I flick between corrupt and incompetent tbh. I’d hate to think the game is getting so badly run due to corruption and conflict of interest again, but it is hard to believe the level of incompetence we are seeing from experienced exec manager level leaders.

I mean for pistol Pete to say he accepted a really poor tv deal to help out the tv companies is pretty bad, but to try and dud players by claiming you forgot that ch9 paid $90mill up front seems so incredulous that it is hard to fathom that it could just be incompetence?

The sad thing is there's no one better than V'landys. Shady or not, he gets things done. Without him we would still be stuck with the same 16 teams and no one would be talking about expanding to Perth.

I'm willing to accept a shit broadcast deal from a dubious chairman in exchange for Bris2 and Perth. Any extra money from a better broadcast deal would have been gobbled up by greedy clubs from Sydney.

haha Jesus Christ are you an idiot. Theonly f**kwit on the internet here is you.

How many brisbane lions fans located in Brisbane swapped to the Suns? Zero.

You know why? Because the Suns are on the Gold Coast. That’s right location matters.

Brisbane lions fans on the Gold Coast changed allegiances. You realise Gold Coast is a completely different city than Brisbane yeah??

You realise people in Beenleigh and Logan and Ipswich don’t identify with the GC or Redcliffe? They identify with Brisbane.

There is 75km between Suns stadium and Suncorp stadium. You’d hardly find a Suns fan until you hit Helensvale. Same as the titans.

From Morton bay stadium:

- 48km to Mount Gravatt
- 54km to Sunnybank
- 59km to Acacia Ridge
- 65km to Logan
- 67km to redland bay
- 93km to Ipswich

What’s the first thing that happens when you say to someone that has no idea about sport or NRL that you support “the broncos” or “the bulldogs” or “the bruins” or “the Mavericks”??

The very next question is “oh right, where are they from?” … and then you answer “Brisbane …” or “Footscray …” or “Boston” or “Dallas…”.

The same will happen with “the Dolphins”. It will be either “where they from?” or “oh the Redcliffe team”. Very few south of the river will genuinely support the Dolphins just based on the fact the team is 60km away. The titans are basically the same distance away. They’ll continue to support broncos or their interstate team. Why would you drive to Redcliffe as opposed to GC?

There’s much more to do over the weekend on GC than Redcliffe. You can go to a titans game and then hit the beach or go to a decent resturant or bar etc.

If they chose the Firehawks a lot more south westerns would convert on mass.

I love this idea location doesn’t matter haha ofcourse it f**king does. If it didn’t, why do any of you Sydney types give a flying f**k about 2 Sydney teams being relocated to Adelaide and Perth?

Why is it when Sydney teams are discussed it’s always “ya can’t relocate teams it just makes no sense to switch locations”… “why would you relocate St George from kograh to the new SFS? Fans just won’t travel the 15km to Moore Park?”

Then Brisbane gets a 2nd team and all of a sudden location means sweet FA. Magically we are expected to believer that this team labelled “the dolphins” will just float across the ether and convince people 40km away to convert.

If you choose the wrong location you can’t maximise interest.

Putting a side in Redcliffe and rebranding them “the dolphins” was the mediocre option, especially when south of the river provides an opportunity to saturate the market and cut the AFL off at the knees.

If you don’t understand this logic, you are not only a poor strategic thinker, you know nothing about the SE Queensland.
Are you for real
IIRC when the suns started they had about 10k members .
At the same time the Lions membership dropped by about that amount..

Perth Red

Post Whore
The sad thing is there's no one better than V'landys. Shady or not, he gets things done. Without him we would still be stuck with the same 16 teams and no one would be talking about expanding to Perth.

I'm willing to accept a shit broadcast deal from a dubious chairman in exchange for Bris2 and Perth. Any extra money from a better broadcast deal would have been gobbled up by greedy clubs from Sydney.
It’s still to be seen where the money is coming from though. If the $35mill gets put back into development and grassroots and gets added to. And if the nrl can put a decent amount away for asset building then yeh all good. But with only 6% tv increase I suspect expansion is going to cost the game short term, not a big problem except when it comes on top of major spend increase to clubs.

and yes at long last after a decade of talk we have expansion happening, but after all this time decision 1 was pretty underwhelming and arguably a poor choice, and we have yet to see what decision 2 will be. I fully expect going on current track record that it will be a poor one as well with a fifo bears being parachuted into somewhere.

Are you for real
IIRC when the suns started they had about 10k members .
At the same time the Lions membership dropped by about that amount..
A quick Google search would have saved you the embarrassment of getting your numbers wrong.

The Lions lost 4,441 members in 2011 after finishing 13th the previous season. They now have 43,319 members, which is 16,540 more than what they had in 2010.

When they're winning they make money, but lose it just as fast when they slide down the ladder. A third Brisbane team based on the southside would make life very difficult for them.

The Suns had 14,064 members in 2011. Now they have 21,422.

Last edited:

Dragonwest

Juniors
A quick Google search would have saved you the embarrassment of getting your numbers wrong.

The Lions lost 4,441 members in 2011 after finishing 13th the previous season. They now have 43,319 members, which is 16,540 more than what they had in 2010.

When they're winning they make money, but lose it just as fast when they slide down the ladder. A third Brisbane team based on the southside would make life very difficult for them.

The Suns had 14,064 members in 2011. Now they have 21,422.

How many dog memberships are included in those numbers ..

It’s still to be seen where the money is coming from though. If the $35mill gets put back into development and grassroots and gets added to. And if the nrl can put a decent amount away for asset building then yeh all good. But with only 6% tv increase I suspect expansion is going to cost the game short term, not a big problem except when it comes on top of major spend increase to clubs.

and yes at long last after a decade of talk we have expansion happening, but after all this time decision 1 was pretty underwhelming and arguably a poor choice, and we have yet to see what decision 2 will be. I fully expect going on current track record that it will be a poor one as well with a fifo bears being parachuted into somewhere.
The Dolphins should be playing all 12 home games at Lang Park. I know that thr FIFA women's soccer makes that impossible for 2023, but there's no reason for them not to do it from 2024 onwards.

How many dog memberships are included in those numbers ..

We shouldn't assume everything AwFuL publicises is a lie. The Lions have enjoyed onfield success over the last few seasons while the Broncos have struggled. Young people these days aren't as parochial about rugby league as they were when I was a kid.

The_Wookie

Bench
We shouldn't assume everything AwFuL publicises is a lie. The Lions have enjoyed onfield success over the last few seasons while the Broncos have struggled. Young people these days aren't as parochial about rugby league as they were when I was a kid.

The AFL has redefined what constitutes a member to the point where there is now no mimimum payment required, and the only obligation is that the member is a real person with real contact information.

3 years ago there was a minimum spend required.

The AFL has redefined what constitutes a member to the point where there is now no mimimum payment required, and the only obligation is that the member is a real person with real contact information.

Wasn’t there 1 game memberships

Welcome to the modern world.

About a decade ago I bought a ticket on TickeTek to a Cowboys vs Broncos match at Lang Park and was listed as a Derby Member for the Broncos. They even sent me out a Broncos sticker.

Latest posts