What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Haha here we go again, like they’ll ever take it away from Sydney!
Why would they? No other stadium besides your beloved concrete monstrosity MCG can accommodate 80000 plus fans. This is not the US where a super bowl can be moved to a stadium/population centre of equal size.

Until we see a non oval stadium big enough to accommodate the Maximum numbers of fans it stays in Sydney. If you want to see a grand final book plane tickets although i assume your calender would already be booked out with the AFL flag final.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why would they? No other stadium besides your beloved concrete monstrosity MCG can accommodate 80000 plus fans. This is not the US where a super bowl can be moved to a stadium/population centre of equal size.

Until we see a non oval stadium big enough to accommodate the Maximum numbers of fans it stays in Sydney. If you want to see a grand final book plane tickets although i assume your calender would already be booked out with the AFL flag final.
there's nothing so impotent as holding an unloaded gun at someones head when they know its unloaded lol

You'd make up the missing 20k tickets with increased cost of seats, stronger corporate sales and by selling the event ie origin lol.

Sounds like they are only asking $2mil a year for it from NSW govt for a 25 year deal. Cash or inkind stadium spend. They could easily sell it for $10mill plus to other cities. That $8mill plus difference more than covers lost ticket sales.

Last edited:

The_Wookie

Bench

Dude if its good enough for Origin, its good enough for a grand final. Especially a Storm Grand Final.
Biiger issue is whether the ground would even be available. Week after the AFL Grand Final is always booked in case of a draw.

Without paywall…
PVL’s thinking is that a deal will be done next year to put a roof on ACCOR and fix up more suburban grounds, in return for a long term agreement to play the GF @ ACCOR.
What a ramble. This "journalist" is just throwing darts at a board. Back to the pub old man.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
there's nothing so impotent as holding an unloaded gun at someones head when they know its unloaded lol

You'd make up the missing 20k tickets with increased cost of seats, stronger corporate sales and by selling the event ie origin lol.

Sounds like they are only asking $2mil a year for it from NSW govt for a 25 year deal. Cash or inkind stadium spend. They could easily sell it for $10mill plus to other cities. That $8mill plus difference more than covers lost ticket sales.
Why would they sell it away from the financial capital of Oceania? NSW makes a lot of money for hostingthe GF, far more than $10 million, that will flow onto the NRL.

Your losing credibility as a financial expert with this nonsense.

Iamback

Coach
Dude if its good enough for Origin, its good enough for a grand final. Especially a Storm Grand Final.
Biiger issue is whether the ground would even be available. Week after the AFL Grand Final is always booked in case of a draw.

I don't know about others but I am not paying a couple of hundred for a ticket to watch a game on an oval.

That said, I don't see it leaving NSW Govt will pay up

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't know about others but I am not paying a couple of hundred for a ticket to watch a game on an oval.

That said, I don't see it leaving NSW Govt will pay up
Having been to GF's at ANZ and Origin at Optus Id have to say Optus was far better an experience. Better facilities, steeper stands meaning distance really didn't feel that much different, watching from the concourse whilst chugging beer, amazing led light shows etc.
All round much better than ANZ which reminded me of the old Wembley stadium, minus the fencing lol.

Ive been to Origin at MCG as well. That was something else. View was terrible but 100k in a colosseum like that was incredible. Wouldnt do it often but as one off it was an amazing experience.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why would they sell it away from the financial capital of Oceania? NSW makes a lot of money for hostingthe GF, far more than $10 million, that will flow onto the NRL.

Your losing credibility as a financial expert with this nonsense.
The best outcome would be to continue to leverage it for the stadium plan, but have a decent stadium plan, not sticking lipstick on a load of pigs.

Spend the $500mill on Shark park (cough a bit of vomit came up), Manly and Wollongong. Build three decent suburban 20-25k stadiums with appropriate corporate facilities, alongside the Penrith commitment and NRL in NSW is 90% of the way there.

Perth Red

Post Whore

So now every Sydney nrl club (and every other club) receives a higher grant than the swans get from afl house
Yes its funny how for years people have mocked the AFL having to prop up Sydney teams, now its the NRL whose propping up more lol

Swans bring in (2021 covid impacted)
$12.8mill memberships and game day takings
$15.2mill sponsorships
$0.5mill merch

Thats $28.5mill in football operations in a covid year. I doubt theres a Sydney NRL club even close to that. Hence why the grant has to keep going up at expense of other areas of the game.

Latest posts