What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Wb1234

Immortal
Behind a paywall but:

The article discusses a funding dispute between the NRL and the QRL over the expansion of Queensland teams in the Hostplus Cup. The QRL planned to introduce reserve-grade teams from the Cowboys and Titans, requesting $4.2 million for funding. However, NRL CEO Andrew Abdo rejected the request, citing a lack of time to assess the proposal and emphasizing a more national development strategy. This led to a legal standoff, but it appears both sides aim to find a long-term solution for expansion.

Pvl needs their votes for expansion

Jamberoo

Juniors
Expansion, refs, rules, AFL, day to day running the NRL, Vegas, Internationals, season lenghth, media focussing on negative stories.

It's worth watching on 9 Now

Gus had some interesting comments after the interview, rekons the current admin are the first we've had that are setting up the games future. Gus says he talks to PVL regularly ( he has a meeting with him today ) and League is on the doorstep of "greatness" , can take over the southern hemisphere as the no.1 sport.
Lots to digest.

Would we (or the clubs) be happy with five fewer NRL games for each club? There would be a loss in revenue from broadcasters - how would that be made up? Surely it is a good thing for games like Broncos v Dolphins to happen twice each season? Maybe 19 games plus Magic Round?

5m PNG subscribers from an 18m population when there are currently only 1.8m from 26m Australians? He surely knows those figure don’t add up, so I don’t know why he keeps throwing this stuff in the mix.

Still, bravo for thinking about the future - something most sports administrators and politicians rarely do. Change is hard but usually necessary.

Wb1234

Immortal
Lots to digest.

Would we (or the clubs) be happy with five fewer NRL games for each club? There would be a loss in revenue from broadcasters - how would that be made up? Surely it is a good thing for games like Broncos v Dolphins to happen twice each season? Maybe 19 games plus Magic Round?

5m PNG subscribers from an 18m population when there are currently only 1.8m from 26m Australians? He surely knows those figure don’t add up, so I don’t know why he keeps throwing this stuff in the mix.

Still, bravo for thinking about the future - something most sports administrators and politicians rarely do. Change is hard but usually necessary.

Broadcast revenue and gate revenue vs shorter more intense season

19 rounds would be a huge reduction and won’t get the tv dollars they need

If it ends up more NFL like in approach, each game a spectacle and must watch / attend etc that's great. I know the enthusiasm I have for casual NRL games after origin drops off a cliff. Start of the season I'm watching every game, towards the end, I think I only watched the Knights V Dolphins match.

Wb1234

Immortal
If it ends up more NFL like in approach, each game a spectacle and must watch / attend etc that's great. I know the enthusiasm I have for casual NRL games after origin drops off a cliff. Start of the season I'm watching every game, towards the end, I think I only watched the Knights V Dolphins match.
Agree 100 percent

But nfl is the biggest sport in America

We are competing with the fumblers who have more money and trying to expand into nsw and qld off the back of a larger tv deal

Even with 20 teams plus origins their games go for 3 hours

Iamback

Coach
Lots to digest.

No way the clubs agree to it. That would mean that Cows may not host the other QLD clubs at home, I can't imagine them being happy about that

Iamback

Coach

So how do they pay for the new clubs? You could cut a couple of weeks and play 24 rounds but you need the extra content to get the extra $ needed from TV

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think 22-23 games is prob the ideal number.
Maybe play every other team H&A alternating and then your 2 or 3 main rivals each season in opposite fixtures. That way you get 4 or 6 big rivalry games guaranteed a year. + magic weekend.

Iamback

Coach
I think 22-23 games is prob the ideal number.
Maybe play every other team H&A alternating and then your 2 or 3 main rivals each season in opposite fixtures. That way you get 4 or 6 big rivalry games guaranteed a year. + magic weekend.

So the QLD teams don't all pay each other twice? I am sure those clubs and TV will hate that idea

Perth Red

Post Whore
3 new teams is $60m extra a year in grants alone. The players aren't taking less, especially if you pause the NRL season in the middle. They still have the same amount of training
but you will have ten games a round not the current 8. So at moment there are 192 games a season. ten games a round over 22 weeks = 220 games in total. So even with less rounds we are offering 10% more content.

Wb1234

Immortal
but you will have ten games a round not the current 8. So at moment there are 192 games a season. ten games a round over 22 weeks = 220 games in total. So even with less rounds we are offering 10% more content.
Not enough even if you add in origins etc

Their goal would be to get the same minutes as afl then crush them on the ratings

Iamback

Coach
It’s inevitable the nrl goes to stand alone origins

Injuries will demand it

Possibly but that even brings other issues, A player gets KO in an Origin game they miss the next one. Even general wear and tear would make the quality drop if Origin sides can't fully train.
So there are other challenges

Latest posts